Retail Sales When?

stament

Answer is no. I have never seen stores that have sales on in Chiang Mai. Stores usually have promotions on various items and it`s pop luck if a customer happens to be in a store having promotions at any particular time.

How it works is, a store may have an item selling for 179 baht. On a following week claiming the same item is on promotion going for 169 baht reduced from 229 baht, then walk down the road to a store selling the same item priced at 149 baht without a promotion.

One thing I noticed, was that in the US they will mark the holiday candy down 50% immediately after, and then 75% a week later..often to make way for the next holiday candy. But here, about 2 weeks after Valentine's Day; I saw some Valentine's chocolate marked down a whopping 5%. And based on my experience; I am checking that born on date on anything on promo here...7-11 frequently does this with their Lay's and cookies...it's before the sellby...but it is maybe several months old, when if you look closely, you can get cookies/chips/ and beer that is only a few weeks old.

The reason for the infrequency of "Sales" in Western markets is consumer protection law. Retailers are required to prove that they (for a set period of time) once sold the item for more money than they are asking for now. No such law exists in developing Asian markets; so "Sales" are on all the time. Of course, they don't usually represent good value for money. Discounting and clearing shelves to make room for new stock seems to be near unheard of in Asia. It seems that many places would rather throw away stuff than take a little less money for it. But then that wasn't atypical in the West during my youth so I guess they'll catch up eventually.

sometimes the sale price is higher than the normal price. i guess they have to make up for the extra rent, sales banners and staff when they move all their items from the store out onto the sales event location in the center of the mall.LOL

Funny old thing..it reminds me of a time when I was living in the Philippines. Went to a local departments store/cum plaza. In the electronic section I spotted 2 TVs side by side at the same price.

One was an old CRT TV whereas the other was a more modern LED TV. I asked the salesman why they are the same price as one is obviously very old. His reply was 'different size sir'. Upon looking closer I said they were both 29" TV sets and of the same brand to boot so that reason/excuse doesnt work.

By this time he was obviously bored (Missing his cellphone) and knew he wouldnt get a sale out of me. Unfortunately a lot of the sales staff are not taught product/brand knowledge and the others cant be stuffed to show any incentive whatsoever. Another excuse they tried to use is 'that is what it cost the store so thats the minimum we sell it for'.

Obviously not a lot of education about cost of shelf space and dead stock etc etc

But getting back to the OP..... its a very much hit and miss affair as has been previously suggested. And if you do manage to find a sale be sure to check prices elsewhere, things are not always as they seem.

The reason for the infrequency of "Sales" in Western markets is consumer protection law. Retailers are required to prove that they (for a set period of time) once sold the item for more money than they are asking for now. No such law exists in developing Asian markets; so "Sales" are on all the time. Of course, they don't usually represent good value for money. Discounting and clearing shelves to make room for new stock seems to be near unheard of in Asia. It seems that many places would rather throw away stuff than take a little less money for it. But then that wasn't atypical in the West during my youth so I guess they'll catch up eventually.

What gets me is I will go to buy an item and they will tell me there is no more. I say I will take the model I do not even ask for a discount on it but they refuse to sell it. If ever there was a time for a sale that is it.