Mother of German killed by a Thai driver in Phuket begs for justice

webfact

Re the victim's Thai widow:

She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life.

If accurate, what an odd statement...

I've never lost a loved one under such circumstances. But if I did, I think the last thing I'd have on my mind is ignoring the criminal case against the perpetrator and instead "move on" with my life.

I was actually going to comment on that as well however, there isn't anything shady going on since she would have inherited his estate anyway. She isn't blood family so its not necessary for her to nail the driver and its quite possible she scared to and its quite possible they were having marital problems and she is happy now..to many variables here.

So apparently, she took it literally with the part in the marriage vows (assuming they did any) where it says... until death do us part. whistling.gif

I wasn't suggesting there was anything "shady" going on ... just a seemingly amazing lack of feeling / fidelity / commitment to one's spouse...whatever you want to call it.

I agree with you. But whilst you cant replace family you can certainly replace a spouse. I hear spouses are replaced at a rate of 50% or more...Also she would need to testify Thai against Thai over a dead farang? ...aint gonna happen!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing you killed someone can be a very stressful experience. People panic under a lot of stress.

How would he know, the German was under his car, and he only died because the Thai driver ran over him three times, so c'mon, you'll have to do better than that.

He surely knew he hit the guy. And then he was trying to get away. Actually you'll have to do better than that.

You suggested that he panicked under stress because he killed the guy. My question is how did he know he killed him, did he get out and feel his pulse? Of course he didn't, ergo he didn't know if he was dead or not.

Alright then, he panicked under stress because he assumed he killed the guy. It's an assumption that can easily be made, ergo why "hit and run" is a thing.

Phuket is the epicentre of the worst corruption in Thailand.

There will be no justice from any of the legal systems on Phuket.

The corrupt police, the corrupt lawyers and the corrupt judges will see that their own interests are served before any sort of justice.

None of them have the foggiest idea of justice and how it should be served.

Just another foreigner dead...just another day in paradise.

As there are no role models, and corruption is a way of life. Nothing is ever going to change. No ethics or morals.

Yes they have role models, but the wrong ones ! I agree with the no ethics or morals.

You can't blame the whole population for the cowardice of some individuals !?!? we only see the bad ones in the news.

The corrupt police, the corrupt lawyers and the corrupt judges will see that their own interests are served before any sort of justice.

I have only been to Phuket once on holiday, but this statement stands for the whole country really.

After 10 years here, i am soooo glad to be leaving now (i know thta makes me sound bitter etc before anyone says it)

How would he know, the German was under his car, and he only died because the Thai driver ran over him three times, so c'mon, you'll have to do better than that.

He surely knew he hit the guy. And then he was trying to get away. Actually you'll have to do better than that.

You suggested that he panicked under stress because he killed the guy. My question is how did he know he killed him, did he get out and feel his pulse? Of course he didn't, ergo he didn't know if he was dead or not.

Alright then, he panicked under stress because he assumed he killed the guy. It's an assumption that can easily be made, ergo why "hit and run" is a thing.

There are times when it is advisable to "run" as your life can be in jeopardy if a local is killed even though it may not be your fault. So to run can be sensible as long as you report to the police. I am unsure about the law regarding being automatically guilty because you ran.

My sympathies to the family for there lose.... And ongoing pain and frustration.

What is also very unfortunate though, is that as it's just another road crime committed in Thailand, on Thai roads, by a Thai driver.... Some TV readers seem to think that this is ok, given many of the responses to the article about the maniacal taxi driver (over the last couple of days) as they have been condoning the ignoring of basic traffic rules by Thais.

And please don't label this as Thai bashing... It's farang bashing

"She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life."

Says everything you need to know about his 'beloved' wife. Presumably now she has full ownership of the cafe, she doesn't need to have the killers of her husband convicted and the cause of the crash involving her husband come to light. Suppose the court needs her as a witness or they might deem it her husband's fault? Some wife.

You are very quick to judge, without knowing what she went thru .... some compassionate person you are ?!?!

Epitome of pathetic that person has to beg justice system for justice

Shouldn't everyone wait for the trial to be over first?

And if found guilty, the punishment should not be, more severe, because of the race of the man or because his mom is demanding it..

Or, if she is just wants him to confess, while the trail is still going.. Good luck with that!

She apparently has a TV account, and reads all the negative things the Thai bashers post here..

"She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life."

Says everything you need to know about his 'beloved' wife. Presumably now she has full ownership of the cafe, she doesn't need to have the killers of her husband convicted and the cause of the crash involving her husband come to light. Suppose the court needs her as a witness or they might deem it her husband's fault? Some wife.

i find that the Thai bashers tend to have an extremely low IQ or maybe its just the hastiness to be the first to bash that stops them from analyzing a situation.

Considering there are thousands little cafes in Phuket you would then have to presume that they are all cash cows according to your post. And since she would have inherited it anyway ,she would still have had "full ownership"

Just a really stupid post .

I dont get the negativity towards the wife. Many Thais and also farang would follow the line of thought "nothing you do will bring him back"

so whats the point? She knows her own countries justice system

Had she had been more active in the legal proceedings all the TV parade would be branding her a heartless wife trying to gain compensation from farangs death.

So screeching true!!

Might just be all negative post about the wife, if she was demanding justice..

I dont get the negativity towards the wife. Many Thais and also farang would follow the line of thought "nothing you do will bring him back"

so whats the point? She knows her own countries justice system

Had she had been more active in the legal proceedings all the TV parade would be branding her a heartless wife trying to gain compensation from farangs death.

So screeching true!!

Might just be all negative post about the wife, if she was demanding justice..

I fail to see how anyone could possibly see anything wrong with a widow participating in the criminal courts system to help ensure that the killer of her husband is brought to justice. She is, after all, a direct witness to the crime.

There's probably no financial compensation for her there. At best, a court sentence would send the killer of her husband to jail, which is where he belongs.

On the other hand, I can see a lot wrong with a widow walking away from the case, and seemingly unconcerned with what happens to her husband's killer.

Is that what you'd do if your wife was killed by a reckless driver under similar circumstances?

There must be a lot of "panicking" going on in Thailand, seeing how it's such a common occurrence when a Thai driver is involved in a accident. The 'hit and run" is nothing more than trying to evade capture and responsibility, and possibly being hit with a hefty fine and having to pay compensation. Sorry, but you are grasping at straws.

There must be a lot of "panicking" going on in Thailand, seeing how it's such a common occurrence when a Thai driver is involved in a accident. The 'hit and run" is nothing more than trying to evade capture and responsibility, and possibly being hit with a hefty fine and having to pay compensation. Sorry, but you are grasping at straws.

The bottom line is he killed an innocent man in his attempt to avoid facing his responsibilities, reminiscent of the Red Bull heir and his killing of the policeman.

this does not sound like a road accident.

it needs to be investigated why the driver drove over the victim 3 times.

My thoughts exactly! Looks more like a murder for hire to me, to cover that up made it look like an accident, maybe?

Read the article more careful!! He wanted to flee the scene of the accident. Most probably on booze, drugs or a combination of both. If he can get to a different province there is less chance that the police will follow him. My understanding is that there is little co-operation or co-ordination between provincial/district police forces. They work independently. This may explain why bus drivers flee the scenes of the accidents. No driver's license, flee to a different province, lay low and let it blow over. Someone should take the German mother aside and explain her how Thai culture and society works. Explain where the falang fits in the pecking order of Thai society and what she can expect in her request for justice (there are plenty of examples out there).

Good point but the "farang" has little to do with it. If the victim were a Thai person, he would stand even less chance of receiving justice. Only if the victim had been an important and rich person then yes; but usually it's the other way round - rich and influential person mows down poor nobody. Pays some compensation to the family and never has to go to jail beyond a couple of days when first arrested perhaps.

"The Thai wife today can live a normal life". "She wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life."

Says it all, doesn't it, if these comments are proven to be true, then she's a pretty heartless widow. Sure, she can't bring her now deceased husband back from the dead, but pushing this issue under the carpet and getting back to a normal life just 2 days after he died is pretty shocking, to say the least. If she really loved him then she should be saddened for the rest of her life.

My thoughts exactly! Looks more like a murder for hire to me, to cover that up made it look like an accident, maybe?

Really? Well he would have to be the dumbest hitman on record and he could have just as easily killed the wife, as aiming a car isn't like pointing a gun.

I have only been to Phuket once on holiday, but this statement stands for the whole country really.

After 10 years here, i am soooo glad to be leaving now (i know thta makes me sound bitter etc before anyone says it)

I've joined you FB.......had enough of what was a truly wonderful place many years ago.

Now utterly rotten to the core.

The dictator in charge makes his sentiments very clear about what he thinks of foreigners. It does not bode well for anyone with a foot wrong in Thailand.

Yeah...to those who say good riddance/get out/sty out/ - I have had the brains to leave. Why stay where you are intensely disliked....even hated?

Not a week goes by without some snivelling Thai man (or his family) begging for mercy..and the more they grovel, the more likely the court will excuse them..<deleted>!

This event happened quite a while ago now, but I still cannot understand why the little toad has not scuppered to the 'security' of his nearest Wat!

Sincere condolenses to the family of poor Andreas..who like so many others,- came here never to return..RiP young Sir.

-Samui Times-

"According to several eye witnesses the driver of the car

tried to flee the scene of the accident and in doing so drove over Mr Walter, who was stuck under

Mr-Walter-dead-in-Thailand-1-300x225.jpgthe car, three times killing him in the process."

I've joined you FB.......had enough of what was a truly wonderful place many years ago.

Now utterly rotten to the core.

The dictator in charge makes his sentiments very clear about what he thinks of foreigners. It does not bode well for anyone with a foot wrong in Thailand.

Yeah...to those who say good riddance/get out/sty out/ - I have had the brains to leave. Why stay where you are intensely disliked....even hated?

Serious?

I thought it was much more - not nice here, when the =BIG= Thaksin Shinawatra himself was on the rudder!!! blink.png

Well, when my wife died some years ago and when I was over the first mourning, I realized the only thing was to go forward an don´t look back.

So many "sofasherlocks" here what do you want the widow to do? Close her livelihood?

I can really understand the mother, but sorry to say I dont think it will do any change.

In my country it would be called manslaughter and render 9-12 years with parole after 2/3 of the sentence.

In LOS it´s all about money!

As for you sorry asses that find a conspiracy in all things....GET A LIFE!

AMJA

Archived