Eight month old girl thrown to her death from pick-up in Lampang

webfact

....I question whether a baby's head can smash a side-window...

IMO...looking at the side damage to the vehicle..it is probable the window shattered on impact with the guard rail..this sudden stop could not halt the unrestrained child..a projectile, still travelling at the vehicles speed prior to impact to be ejected out of the window into the ditch.

(what Im saying is the glass had already shattered prior to the child exiting the window..all in a split second)...IMO

Edited by tandor

That's because you can't do basic maths. You'd have no problem with the idea that I could throw a bowling bool through a car window would you? Even an 8lb one. Yet, the acceleration of that bowling bool (which is lighter than the baby) would be far lower than that of an infant thrown out of seat when the car goes from 70 mph to 0 mph in an instant.

Not everything is a conspiracy and it's ugly to suggest otherwise in the face of a tragedy like this. Stop pontificating from your armchair until you learn some simple physics and how to use a calculator.

Useful formulae and theory:

Force = mass x acceleration

Pressure = force/area

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction,.

Wow, a junior Einstein.

Forget all about your "formulae & theory & bowling bools". Automotive glass is designed to prevent breakage from body impact. Try punching or kicking a window as hard as you can .... it won't break. Special tools have been developed for the task. Some vehicles now come with said tool as standard equipment. It's the point of the tool, or a substitute, that breaks the glass on impact.

The tool is a cheap investment. Yes, I carry one in the door pocket of my car.

An 8 month old baby's head, skull, is still relatively soft. Skull can take up to a couple of years to harden. So, baby's skull way too soft to break glass.

SOTIRIOS was only questioning whether a baby's head could break the glass, he wasn't actually disputing the allegation. Have another read of your post, it's harsh at least & totally inaccurate at best.

I suggest you go & play with your bowling bool.

Cheers..... Mal.

Garbage. You know why they make you wear seatbelts? Because when people hit windscreens - they go through them. Did you get your education in a 7-11 sale?

This site has some incredibly sick people. Announce a tragedy and immediately dispute a reasonable version of events. You could join SOTIROS back in school - a double typo notwithstanding is better than being a shameful loser with an unending downer on Thailand and anything you hear.

Very tragic. For sure but it is the norm here in Thailand .

Car seats for infants , not going to happen .

The lady next door to me also lost her child in a similar type accident about 10 years ago. And she is now crippled for life .

This happens often

My kids had car seats in the vehicle here ever since they were toddlers .

I remember one time we were going out and my wife's cousin was taking out the child car seats . I asked why she was doing that she sad it was to uncomfortable for her to sit between them .

I told her no ..never once have I ever allowed any one to remove the car seats to make more room , there thought was they can sit in there laps ..

And I only allow the number of people in the vehicle as there are seat belts.

My vehicle my rules . I have even told some of her family there is not enough room for them and they got mad at me ..

My kids safety on the road are more important than any Thai opinion , and i don't care if they like now or not.

My kids safety is first .

That's because you can't do basic maths. You'd have no problem with the idea that I could throw a bowling bool through a car window would you? Even an 8lb one. Yet, the acceleration of that bowling bool (which is lighter than the baby) would be far lower than that of an infant thrown out of seat when the car goes from 70 mph to 0 mph in an instant.

Not everything is a conspiracy and it's ugly to suggest otherwise in the face of a tragedy like this. Stop pontificating from your armchair until you learn some simple physics and how to use a calculator.

Pressure = force/area

Wow, a junior Einstein.

Forget all about your "formulae & theory & bowling bools". Automotive glass is designed to prevent breakage from body impact. Try punching or kicking a window as hard as you can .... it won't break. Special tools have been developed for the task. Some vehicles now come with said tool as standard equipment. It's the point of the tool, or a substitute, that breaks the glass on impact.

An 8 month old baby's head, skull, is still relatively soft. Skull can take up to a couple of years to harden. So, baby's skull way too soft to break glass.

SOTIRIOS was only questioning whether a baby's head could break the glass, he wasn't actually disputing the allegation. Have another read of your post, it's harsh at least & totally inaccurate at best.

Cheers..... Mal.

Garbage. You know why they make you wear seatbelts? Because when people hit windscreens - they go through them. Did you get your education in a 7-11 sale?

This site has some incredibly sick people. Announce a tragedy and immediately dispute a reasonable version of events. You could join SOTIROS back in school - a double typo notwithstanding is better than being a shameful loser with an unending downer on Thailand and anything you hear.

I'd be interested in a few "worthwhile" comments on both TheSiemReaper's and my ideas on the subject of baby breaking car window.

It would appear one of us is a little wide of the mark on said subject.

Education at 7/11, yep, it never ceases to amaze me what one car learn when visiting.

SiemReaper, ol mate. Might I suggest you do a little research on automotive glass before your next reply.

"unending downer on Thailand" If anything I'm more of a Thai apologist than a Thai basher or flamer.

Your turn :-)

We gave our proper child seats (two of them) away as ours grew up to Thai neighbors with a baby & younger child.

The smiled and said thank you and never ever used it as far as we could tell.

Ya can't fix stupid unfortunately.

And at the introduction of the horseless carriage came also the childseat ? No? What is now stupid to those whom something was enforced need consider.

I too have given 2x booster seats away to separate families only to see the entire family de-bus days later with no seatbelts between them. I also gave the father a high vis vest for use on a motorbike only to have him pile in (Hospitalised-the full 'Wyle-e-coyote'!) a week later while the vest was under his seat.

He's a ferang!

I share the view that this death was avoidable and that both parents should be charged.

Edited by evadgib

Pressure = force/area

Wow, a junior Einstein.

Cheers..... Mal.

Yeah, compare a punch or a kick to a car crash, that makes sense.

If the car was traveling at just 30mph but stopped almost instantly, there would be a deceleration of 1500m/s2, that is over 150 g's. If the mother holding the baby weighed 70kgs she would be hitting the baby against the window with a force of 12000kgs.

Think of the karate displays chopping bits of wood, if they hit the hard wood too slowly then they will not break the wood and their hand will hurt, if they hit it fast enough then they break the wood and they feel nothing, same softness of hand just at a different speed.

We gave our proper child seats (two of them) away as ours grew up to Thai neighbors with a baby & younger child.

The smiled and said thank you and never ever used it as far as we could tell.

Ya can't fix stupid unfortunately.

And at the introduction of the horseless carriage came also the childseat ? No? What is now stupid to those whom something was enforced need consider.

I too have given 2x booster seats away to separate families only to see the entire family de-bus days later with no seatbelts between them. I also gave the father a high vis vest for use on a motorbike only to have him pile in (Hospitalised-the full 'Wyle-e-coyote'!) a week later while the vest was under his seat.

He's a ferang!

I share the view that this death was avoidable and that both parents should be charged.

"I share the view that this death was avoidable and that both parents should be charged."

With what? It is legal to hold an infant while not wearing a passenger in the back seat, you can't make up laws posthumously.

Causing death by bad driving and/or negligence is covered by laws that already exist!

Those old public information films in our homelands could do with being shown between soaps every evening.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

PLEASE, everybody read the article again, then look the picture...there is an open ombrella in it.

The father was driving, in the cab probably was the other son, while the mother was probably sitting on the back with the infant in her arms. There is no mention about the baby slipping out of the window. In my opinion the mother was recklessly sitting on the pick up bed...