Freshwater Pearl Farm In Thailand?

Finansjohan

Does someone know of any freshwater pearl farms in Thailand? I know that this is a big industry in southern China but I have so far not been able to locate some Thai pearl farms. I know that there are some pearl farms in the Phuket area but I am not sure if these are of the fresh water type, I am guessing salt water pearl farms (which is quite a different thing).

Since there are many big rivers and lakes in Thailand, I am thinking that there might be opportunities for growing fresh water pearls. Perhaps water conditions and other things could be a problem, but of this I know nothing.

Partly, I am just curious. But I am also interested in buying fresh water pearls at a decent price from someone in Thailand. Who knows, in the future, some Thai friends might want to change from their difficult rice-growing business.

Thanks! Just found out that some of the pearl farms in the Phuket area actually produce fresh water pearls which kind of surprised me.

Seems interesting, Issit possible to start a fresh water pearl farm in chiang rai ?? how to get fresh pearl mussle in thailand?

Edited by redbicycle

• 1 month later...
My mistake, those pearl farms in Phuket are importing freshwater pearls from China to sell along with their own saltwater pearls. Never quite figured out where all the necessary Phuket freshwater came from...mystery solved.

Freshwater pearls used to be cultured in the Lake Biwa and the Kasumigaura, both in Japan. The main freshwater pearl grounds are now in China; almost all of the freshwater pearls now in vogue in Japan are of Chinese origin. Freshwater pearls are, quite simply, those that come from mollusks ("triangular clams") that live in limited areas such as the Lake Biwa and Chinafs inland lakes or rivers - that is, freshwater habitats - as opposed to pearls from marine mollusks. The shells are 15-25cm in diameter. The major characteristic of these pearls is that they have no nucleus, and they consist purely of nacreous layers, right down to their centers. The absence of a nucleus means that these pearls can take on a wide variety of shapes: rice-grain, droplet, button, round etc. Freshwater pearls are also highly varied in hue, of which the main ones are (broadly speaking) white, orange and purple. Only freshwater pearls can offer such a wide range of sizes from 2 mm to 10 mm, and the prices are relatively low. We offer many different designs of freshwater pearl products, each skillfully exploiting the pearls' characteristics. The highest-grade pearls with bewitching brilliance have noble and gentle hues. We may have to appreciate the values of these wonderful freshwater pearls.