Philippines citizen entering Thailand without visa

Dear Forum,

My sister-in-law is coming from the Philippines to visit my newly-born daughter here in Thailand.

She will be coming without a visa due to being very far from the embassy, etc, etc..

Anyway.. what will she need to show customs when she arrives in Bangkok?

From my knowledge I know she needs an ongoing/return ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

I think she also needs a Statement of Support from me to say that I will cover the cost of her stay, and provide her with accomodation.

Are there any further requirements she needs to be aware of..?

thanks in advance

Jack

I thought Thailand was in the AEC already since the turn of the year? Doesn't that mean any citizen of a member country can come and go to any other member country and stay there, work and whatever?

I thought Thailand was in the AEC already since the turn of the year? Doesn't that mean any citizen of a member country can come and go to any other member country and stay there, work and whatever?

There is no such clause in the AEC agreement.

• Like 1

No problem entering. Immigration will want to see funds for her stay, your letter may be adequate, or may not. The big problem may be not Thai entry but Philippine exit because they control the exit of women leaving PH. She needs to call the PH Immigration service to get cleared on what's needed for her exit.

Yes. The Philippine immigration and departure will be screening her for those things. Maybe even more.

If she gets out of there, she should be ok for entry. (visa exempt)

Cash is something everyone should have, when they travel. 20,000 baht would be more than enough....

I believe Thailand accepts many other asian citizens for tourism. They would not discriminate just because she is filipina.

Just the normal onward/return ticket, itinerary (maybe), cash (look it up), and accomodations / address.

No. AEC does not provide freedom of movement, either for residence or for employment. At best, it is an aspirational document that identifies a small number of professions (I believe it's 8) where the member states undertake to make movement easier. In practice, Thailand and many other member nations have erected administrative barriers to even these professions (e.g. licensing requirements that non-citizens are unlikely to be able to meet). It is nothing even approaching EU-style freedom of movement and, IMHO, it never will be. Most of the ASEAN member states are simply too parochial and inwardly-focused.

Unfortunately some take over certain areas in the employment chain , Sunday's in HK is a prime example.

No. AEC does not provide freedom of movement, either for residence or for employment. At best, it is an aspirational document that identifies a small number of professions (I believe it's 8) where the member states undertake to make movement easier. In practice, Thailand and many other member nations have erected administrative barriers to even these professions (e.g. licensing requirements that non-citizens are unlikely to be able to meet). It is nothing even approaching EU-style freedom of movement and, IMHO, it never will be. Most of the ASEAN member states are simply too parochial and inwardly-focused.

Unfortunately some take over certain areas in the employment chain , Sunday's in HK is a prime example.

That may (arguably) be the case, but as neither Hong Kong nor China are members of ASEAN, I suspect it has little relevance to the AEC.

ASEAN citizens get an arrival chop very easily…..no worries.

The get visa exempt entries but it is not the same for every country.

Cambodia and Myanmar (only by air) only get 14 days. Vietnam and Laos get 30 days. Those 4 countries get their's under a bilateral agreement which means no extension is possible.

The other get 30 days under the visa exempt scheme. Meaning they only get 15 day entries at border crossing except for Malaysia that get 30 days at the border there.

See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

ASEAN citizens get an arrival chop very easily…..no worries.

The get visa exempt entries but it is not the same for every country.

Cambodia and Myanmar (only by air) only get 14 days. Vietnam and Laos get 30 days. Those 4 countries get their's under a bilateral agreement which means no extension is possible.

The other get 30 days under the visa exempt scheme. Meaning they only get 15 day entries at border crossing except for Malaysia that get 30 days at the border there.

See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

The problem; however, may be leaving the PI. It is quite common for PI immigration officials to not allow Filipinas to exit the Philippines--for legitimate and/or facilitation fee reasons. Having a letter of support from you and certified by a Philippine embassy/consulate or her having certification of sufficient funds of her own may be required. Call the Philippine embassy in Bangkok to inquire.

• Like 2

Smotherb is quite right. My Filipina partner and I have been together 4 years, travelled throughout SEA together and she still gets questioned at immigration in Manila. You can almost guarantee that if she has a new passport and is alone she will be interciewed so allow time for this. She needs proof of where she will stay, a return ticket, proof of funds for support, your letter will help here. Also a reason for her to return to RP, like an employer letter.

We spend half the year in Thailand, she has never been questioned by Thai immigration, Philippine immigration are the real hurdle for a local.

• Like 1

You must obtain an affidavit of support at the Philippine Embassy in Bangkok.

http://bangkokpe.dfa.gov.ph/consular-office/services/notarial-services/affidavit-of-support

Ensure you do this. A simple letter signed by you (even with a copy of your passport) will not do. Stories of locals being offloaded are not uncommon. No amount of begging or tears will move the immigration officers to reconsider a last-minute departure.

http://bangkokpe.dfa.gov.ph/consular-office/services/notarial-services/affidavit-of-support

Ensure you do this. A simple letter signed by you (even with a copy of your passport) will not do. Stories of locals being offloaded are not uncommon. No amount of begging or tears will move the immigration officers to reconsider a last-minute departure.

A letter of support is NOT necessary, IF they have certified evidence of their own funds--wealthy Filipnas are not stopped.

• Like 1

She needs to be brave at immigration in manila.

As much documents as possible

Even down to photos of her sister baby and you any marriage or birth certs for baby.

Would be good if thry look like sisters

They are twisted at immigration same as here..

Regarding officials informations received from Immigration Headquarter Manila:

Dear Sir/Ma’am,

Good day. In general, Filipinos traveling abroad are required to present the following documents:

Passport valid for at least 6 months;

Valid original visa for port of entry (when required by country of destination);

Confirmed return ticket for tourist

Immigration Officers (IOs) may ask for additional requirements to tourist/temporary visitor such as an authenticated affidavit of support for passengers who were unemployed or not financially capable to travel. The affidavit shall be processed for authentication by the sponsor at the Philippine Embassy or Philippine Consulate General Office in the country of destination. The sponsor shall be related to the passenger within the fourth (4) level civil degree of consanguinity or affinity. National Statistics Office (NSO) authenticated birth certificates of the passenger, the sponsor or other relatives can be presented to prove relationship.

IOs may also look for hotel reservations, company ID (if employed) and other supporting documents (i.e. photocopy of passport and visa of sponsor) based on passenger assessment. The determination of the sufficiency of travel documents in relation to the purpose of travel rests upon the IO who will be conducting the primary or secondary inspection based on the totality of circumstances and statements/declarations of the passenger.

For further information regarding this matter, kindly refer to the "Guidelines on Departure Formalities for International Bound Passengers in all Airports and Seaports in the Country" with link below:

http://immigration.gov.ph/images/Annoucements/IACAT%20GUIDELINES.pdf

Should you have other immigration-related queries, please do not hesitate to call the BI Helpdesk Hotline at (632) 465-2400, visit our website at www.immigration.gov.ph or like us on Facebook: officialbureauofimmigration and follow us on Twitter: immigration.PH.

Thank you.

If the person travels first time out of Phillipnnes and together with foreign BF etc. there will be a second inspection required after passed immigration , already exit stamped. So happened to me and my GF on April 9 this year. We was interogated , needed to show pictures for proof of relationship and return ticket. NO SUPPORT LETTER needed.

Agree with all of the comments about her likely to have more problems leaving the Philippines than entering Thailand (assuming she's reasonably young/attractive).

I've travelled with my Filipina gf for over 6 years, always go there to "collect" her & still she occasionally gets a bit of a grilling, but no where near as bad as the girls who are travelling alone.

Even at the departure gate, Immigration still walk around & question girls travelling alone & will "Offload" them if they're not happy with the answers (despite this being against the rules/laws in Philippines).

If she is going to travel alone then as been suggested write a letter supporting her visit & get this notarized (Google "Red Ribbon Philippine Immigration" for more details).

• 3 weeks later...

if you would read the official statement of the IO Headquarter, above, its NOT required to issue the supporting letter for Thailand.

(Basic Requirement is a return Ticket ....) please dont disinform others.

If you read the OP you'll see that she's travelling alone so will either need to show she is financially capable of supporting the trip (which isn't she's got a bundle of cash but evidence that she gets an income from somewhere) or a "Red Ribbon" letter of support from her sponsor (As detailed in "2 Secondary Inspection" in the link you've provided").

As somebody who's experienced the hassles a Filipina gets whilst travelling 1st hand whilst you're accompanying her, I'm surprised you think it's so easy for them to travel on their own.

But then again, she may be 40+, degree educated, an experienced traveller, with a good job & so have no hassles...

[Note to OP, I'm not saying she's not, but those are some of the criteria they use when selecting people for secondary inspection]

Edited by JB300

God observation, but the resistance to freedom of movement in AEC by member states, and their refusal to follow the example of the EU, might be more to do with the obvious problems that freedom of movement is causing in the EU, rather than parochialism in the AEC ...