Insurance Driving Girlfriends Car On An International Driving Licence

duan

I need to drive my girlfriends car next month with a international driving licence backed up by a UK licence. I am concerned about ensuring that I will be fully covered from an insurance standpoint. Clearly I could ask my gf to get me named as an additional driver on her policy but I understand that without a Thai licence I may not be fully covered. Furthermore whilst she will do her best to follow my instructions my lack of Thai will mean that I will be unable to satisfy myself that I am properly covered. Has anyone got ideas as to how to I can solve the problem with certainty?

Thanks very much

There is no way of knowing- depends on too many factors..... which insurance company, what level of coverage she has, etc.

Are you here on a Non Immigrant visa of any kind? Why not go and get the Thai licence? They will issue one based on your UK licence.... no test required. There is a thread full of information posted in this forum section.

This way- you will be %100 sure, and will probably be less hassle than trying to get answers from the insurance company.

Thai motor insurance covers any driver to the full level of coverage of the policy (subject to age, licence etc).

Legally you can drive using your UK licence supported by an IDP for up to 90 days from your latest entry to the Kingdom.

BUT

Some have reported difficulties with insurance payouts because the policy requires a 'proper' (ie Thai) drivers licence.

May be an idea to get your GFs insurance company to confirm in writing that you can drive the vehicle and be FULLY covered by the policy.

As previously noted, if you have a non-immigrant visa you can get a Thai licence easily and be guaranteed cover :o

Thanks for the help.Unfortunately I live in the UK and enter under a tourist visa so unless anyone can come up with any better suggestions I shall take Crossy's kind advice and try to get a letter out of the insurance company but I am not hopeful.

Thanks for the help.Unfortunately I live in the UK and enter under a tourist visa so unless anyone can come up with any better suggestions I shall take Crossy's kind advice and try to get a letter out of the insurance company but I am not hopeful.

You should be covered. Try to find out if GF has 1st class ins. You should ask her how much she pays. An amount of 15,000 or more depending on car model and year will mean it's 1st class.

She paid about 17000 baht for the current year but I shall still try and get a letter from the insurance company rather than take the risk. I have tried without success to get a UK insurance company to cover me and I am surprised that this appears to be impossible.

Thai motor insurance covers any driver to the full level of coverage of the policy (subject to age, licence etc).

Legally you can drive using your UK licence supported by an IDP for up to 90 days from your latest entry to the Kingdom.

BUT

Some have reported difficulties with insurance payouts because the policy requires a 'proper' (ie Thai) drivers licence.

May be an idea to get your GFs insurance company to confirm in writing that you can drive the vehicle and be FULLY covered by the policy.

As previously noted, if you have a non-immigrant visa you can get a Thai licence easily and be guaranteed cover :o

is this true?...my understanding was that there was a test and other rigamarole to have a thai license issued with a current foreign license (I've got USA, UK, Bahrain and UAE) with a non - imm 'O' visa

I normally prefer to have someone I trust do the driving but it would be nice to know that I had the privilege if I had to take the wheel for some reason...

is this true?...my understanding was that there was a test and other rigamarole to have a thai license issued with a current foreign license (I've got USA, UK, Bahrain and UAE) with a non - imm 'O' visa

Nearly :D There's a bunch of other paperwork needed including an IDP (if you want to avoid the driving test) but not hard to deal with, check out the pinned thread at the top of this forum :D

Nearly :DThere's a bunch of other paperwork needed including an IDP (if you want to avoid the driving test) but not hard to deal with, check out the pinned thread at the top of this forum :D

how does one obtain an IDP from places other than the US and the UK (places that I usually avoid if at all possible)?

how does one obtain an IDP from places other than the US and the UK (places that I usually avoid if at all possible)?

Can't say for the US, but for the UK log on to either the AA or RAC websites, you can do it all by post, but IIRC you must have it sent to the address on your UK licence.