Kiwi stabbed in back at Kata Beach

webfact

Kiwi stabbed in back at Kata Beach
Phuket Gazette

k1.jpeg
Mr Smith is currently in Phuket International Hospital recovering from his injuries. Photo: Karon Police

PHUKET: A Thai surf board renter is on the run after allegedly stabbing a New Zealander in the back with a knife yesterday evening.

The incident occurred at Kata Beach. Police named the suspect as Kittichai Junkaew, 29, from the southern province of Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

According to police, the victim, Christopher Smith, 52, was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital before being transferred to Phuket International Hospital. Karon Police Captain Weerayuth Sirisukhaworakul said the New Zealander sustained one stab wound to the back.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Kiwi-stabbed-back-Kata-Beach/64105?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-21

New Zealand man stabbed while walking on Phuket beach
Darawan Naknakhon

1466480065_1-org.jpg
According to witnesses, Mr Smith was walking on the beach when Kittichai approached him from behind and stabbed him in the back with a knife, said Lt Weerayuth of the Karon Police. Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: -- A New Zealand man is recovering in a Phuket hospital after he was stabbed by a Thai man while walking on Kata Beach yesterday evening (June 20).

Karon Police were notified of the stabbing at 6pm.

“When we arrived, we found traces of blood on the sand,” said Lt Weerayuth Thansirisukworakul of the Karon Police.

“ Apparently Mr Smith lost a significant amount of blood from the stabbing. We were told that a good Samaritan had already taken the victim, 52-year-old Christopher George Smith, to the Accident and Emergency Centre in Chalong.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-zealand-man-stabbed-while-walking-on-phuket-beach-57943.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-21

From the article:

“Witnesses said that both men had altercations many times because Mr Smith’s wife and Kittichai have surfboard rental businesses in the same area,”

It was a very nasty incident, but it wasn't a random act of violence.

From the article:

“Witnesses said that both men had altercations many times because Mr Smith’s wife and Kittichai have surfboard rental businesses in the same area,”

Just another 'business' dispute .... solved in Thai style ...

From the article:

Just another 'business' dispute .... solved in Thai style ...

Not quite solved.

The nutter probably can't run his competing business while on the run, leaving the Kiwi and his wife as the sole proprietors on the beach. :)

Solved Thai style would have been a hitman to take him out with a headshot while sitting in his car, while he was working the beach.

A friend of mine saw the whole thing and apparently the wife of the kiwi has some kids running around in some sort of gang causing trouble. That's all the details I have so far though.

Maybe this guy was looking to rise through the ranks and become the gang leader. biggrin.png

Seriously, why would any farang involve themselves in a dispute like this????

Edited by NamKangMan

A friend of mine saw the whole thing and apparently the wife of the kiwi has some kids running around in some sort of gang causing trouble. That's all the details I have so far though.

Maybe this guy was looking to rise through the ranks and become the gang leader. biggrin.png

Seriously, why would any farang involve themselves in a dispute like this????

Because those kids were causing trouble in his living/working area?

Let the Thai wife run the biz and stay out of the picture Mr. Smith.............yeesh business in Thailand...........

Mr. Smith and wife's business probably somehow infringing, or just flat out doing better (better boards?) and when Kittichai told them to stop taking his customers, in front of others Mr. Smith probably told him to "p**s off mate".................the answer to that loss of face? Hello Thai Norman Bates. Psycho !!!

grumpyoldman, your friend with the avocados saw the whole thing. I'll get the real story later in the week.

As an aside, what happened to the "no commerce on the beach" edict?

I know the Kata-Karon mayor has lost a lot of money ever since his plot of collecting huge fees for beach usage was uncovered, so I guess he needs to make up for the shortfall by allowing commerce on the beach.

<snip>

I know the Kata-Karon mayor has lost a lot of money ever since his plot of collecting huge fees for beach usage was uncovered, so I guess he needs to make up for the shortfall by allowing commerce on the beach.

The so called 'life guards' often have surf or jet ski business on the beach. On kata beach we see a number of vendors setting up in the morning in temp premises.

grumpyoldman, your friend with the avocados saw the whole thing. I'll get the real story later in the week.

Thanks SP, will ping the guy via FB.