Can foreigners buy pool villas like this freehold?

So I have been interested in a pool villa in a development somewhere. My question is do these fall under being a condo as it is part of an association undoubtedly? Am I interested in a place where all I can ever have at best is renewable lease hold? I understand the land won't be mine but I am not really looking to buy a lease. Not really looking to sell and would plan to live out years but the option is nice. If places like this are simply lease hold I think I would just obviously lease something with no need for a large outgo of capital.

Is there some kind of loophole for these sort of places where you are able to get a freehold but the management company owns the land? Never seriously thought of buying something here before and living in a condo in Bangkok as nice as my place is makes me not want to buy a shoe box in the sky.

I do not have a Thai person I would be able to purchase it under their name and nor would I want to do it that way anyway.

This is just an example of the sort of thing I am looking for.

http://property.thaivisa.com/property-item/attractive-pool-home-for-sale-in-central-hua-hin/?utm_source=newsletter-20160619-0706&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

No. You can't. Only with workarounds, you can become somewhat the owner:

1) through a company where you are a shareholder.

2) lease agreement, i.e. 25 years with renewal option. Not real ownership

3) Thai person owns the land and you own the house

4) Thai person is owner on behalf of you.

9 million Baht for 130m² floor area? w00t.gif

Yes ... that's a 125sq wah plot size... that's quite compact.

However we paid more than that, for not much more plot size, in Bangkok 12 years ago.

It really depends on where the house is, what the development is like etc etc. And is it worth the money to you ... that's the main thing.

As others have said ... you will never own it ... make sure your marriage is rock solid ..........

Edited by JAS21

It was just an example of the style. i am finding many similar things around 5 million. I am not married as I said in my OP I will not be using a Thai. So it is possible to own the villa with the association owning the plot basically the same as how condos work?

It was just an example of the style. i am finding many similar things around 5 million. I am not married as I said in my OP I will not be using a Thai. So it is possible to own the villa with the association owning the plot basically the same as how condos work?

No it is not possible to own the same as a Condo. A condo unit can be 100% owned by a foreign individual, with the title deed in your name.

Compared to the Condominium Act for all its faults there is very little which regulates moo baans and housing developments, and little you can do in areas of enforcement for errant owners.

You can never legally own the land in your name although there are a myriad of ways around that as people have discussed at length

Basically if you are living out your days and you can afford to lose the money, or not pass an asset/money onto someone on your passing, go for it. Otherwise purchase a condo or rent a house.

The listing states "huge land value increase" at the bottom. This would not pertain unless you were buying the land with the house, on this particular listing. As far as your question, I have wondered the same thing myself. Short answer.... dunno. Never done a thorough search, but I've never seen it available. Research, research. My friend with some experience says it's better to just lease, shortish term, in case things change. You may get bored of an area. Change is interesting.

• 2 weeks later...