Converting a non-immigrant O visa to an OA visa

I have read that many members have entered Thailand on a non-immigrant O visa and then converted it to an OA visa. I would like to know how complicated such a procedure is.

Several participants have commented in various forums about the fact that they were not successful in applying for an OA visa because they were considered too 'young' (the authorities think you're going to work there). Is this mainly a problem when applying from overseas, or am I likely to face this problem when I get there as well. I'm only 53. I don't intend to work!

When applying for an OA visa, you have to submit a CV going back 10 years. I have doubts about anyone letting me in based on my erstwhile profession. Any tips? Thanks.

{to moderator - did a search on key words in my title, but didn't find anything matching, if I'm wrong, please redirect me}

Edited by Seraphina

If you enter on an O visa, you can apply for an annual extension based on retirement at the Thai immigration office of your locality in Thailand. Do so in the last 30 days of the your stay on the O visa you are entering on. There is no C.V. needed at all. Neither is a police report needed or a medical clearance.

O-A visas are only available from your home country (or outside Thailand if you are a permanent resident somewhere else). O-A visas are NEVER available in Thailand. You do not need an O-A visa.

As said, entering with an O visa your next step will be the application for retirement extension. The main requirement is FINANCIAL.

There is no age issue at all as long as you are at least 50.

I'm not sure what you've been reading but it's mostly wrong. If you are planning on living here on the basis of being over 50 it is very straightforward.

• You need to enter the country with a non 'O' visa.
  • On entry you'll be granted a 90 day stay. During the last 30 (maybe 45) days you apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement (over 50) at your local immigration office. You need to show 800K baht in the bank for 2 months OR a certified (by your embassy) income of 65K baht pm OR a combination of the two.
  • At the end of each year you visit immigration and apply for another year.

The alternative is to apply for a non 'O-A' visa in your home country.

• It is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited entries for 1 year.
  • Every time you enter you are granted a 1 year stay.
  • At the end of any 1 year stay you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay, as above.
  • You make a last entry using the visa just before the visa expires to get a final 1 year stay. At the end of that year you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay or go to your home country for a new visa.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Thank you both for the clarify of your advice, esp. the fact you can't apply for an OA visa from within Thailand! It's much clearer now. I'm assuming the retirement extension you mentioned is a different form to complete?

The exigencies/requirements for the O visa aren't tough as you'll see below, but if you look at the first list, the things I spoke about the OA are current, so you can understand why us newbies get very confused:

Le Visa OA est destiné aux personnes retraitées et âgées de plus de 50 ans. Les pièces à fournir
1. L’original du passeport. Le passeport est valable au minimum 1 an et 6 mois à partir de la date de départ
2. 3 formulairescdûment remplis (completed applications)
3. 3 photos d’identité en couleur
4. 3 photocopies du passeport
5. 3 exemplaires de certificat médical
6. 3 exemplaires d’extrait du casier judiciaire (this is a criminal background check = CRB in UK?)
7. 3 exemplaires de justificatif de domicile en France (facture d’électricité, télécom, etc.)
8. 3 exemplaires de justificatif des ressources : un dépôt bancaire de 20 000 € par demandeur à présenter sous forme d’une attestation bancaire récente (original)
Attention : à partir de la 2e demande de ce type de visa auprès de l’Ambassade, un dépôt bancaire de 800 000 bahts dans une banque en Thaïlande est obligatoire, et à présenter sous forme d’une attestation récente ou d’un carnet bancaire bien actualisé (moins d’un mois)
9. 3 photocopies CV - professions exercées pendant les 10 dernières années avant la retraite (your professional CV going back 10 years before retirement)
10. La somme de 150 € (uniquement en espèces)
A noter : Les avis d’imposition et les attestations de l’organisme des retraites ne sont pas acceptés
Le Visa O est destiné aux personnes âgées de plus de 50 ans désirant vivre longtemps en Thaïlande. Les pièces à fournir
1. Le passeport (original et une photocopie du passeport). Le passeport doit être valable au minimum 6 mois à partir de la date de départ
2. Un formulaire dûment rempli
3. Une photo d’identité en couleur
4. 3 relevés bancaires de 3 derniers mois avec un solde créditeur minimum de 5000 euros pour chaque moi (l’exemplaire de relevé bancaire imprimé sur l’internet n’est pas recevable, à défaut, cet exemplaire doit être signé et tamponné par la banque) ou l’original d’une attestation bancaire justifiant le solde créditeur demandé pendant une période de trois mois
5. La somme de 60 € (uniquement en espèces)
In my case, they asked for three examples of proof of residence for the O visa because I'm a resident on a European passport not a citizen.
Edited by Seraphina

Er, btw, am I going to have a problem with all my paperwork being in French?

I haven't resided in the UK for over 30 years. I have no address in the UK, no bank account there nor indeed, have any right to access to the NHS despite holding a British passport. I therefore don't have a 'footprint' in the UK.

Assuming you are going to apply for an extension for being over 50, and transfer 800,000 baht into a Thai bank account, there should be no requirement for documents from France or anywhere else outside Thailand.

The financial requirements for annual retirement extensions (done in Thailand) are:

800K baht in a Thai bank account seasoned for two months for the first application, and three months subsequent. Bank letter needed very close to the application.

(OR)

Income (proven by embassy letter) of 65K baht per month

(OR)

A combination of income (embassy letter) plus Thai bank account funds totaling at least 800K annually

Edited by Jingthing

Er, btw, am I going to have a problem with all my paperwork being in French?

I haven't resided in the UK for over 30 years. I have no address in the UK, no bank account there nor indeed, have any right to access to the NHS despite holding a British passport. I therefore don't have a 'footprint' in the UK.

Immigration only accepts documents in Thai or English.

Unless you are using the income option I can think of nothing you will need to submit that would be in French.

Hi Jinthing, sounds like option 3 is going to be easiest.

When you say 'The Embassy', that would be the British Embassy?, but I doubt they can attest things deposited in another country, and I am not a French citizen. Sorry, if I didn't make that clear.

The financial requirements for annual retirement extensions (done in Thailand) are:

800K baht in a Thai bank account seasoned for two months for the first application, and three months subsequent. Bank letter needed very close to the application.

(OR)

(OR)

A combination of income (embassy letter) plus Thai bank account funds totaling at least 800K annually

Seraphina, where do you plan to apply for your retirement extension? What province?

Hi NancyL, I have no agenda for my trip to Thailand. I'll do an outline plan closer to my departure, so I'm flexible. I'll go wherever my nose takes me and wherever I need to go for the extension. I only know that I don't intend to work...and probably won't do touristy things. I did such a journey 28 years ago and had a great time. Eventually, I'll want to settle and relocate lock, stock and barrel, but I don't see that happening until I can get to grips with the different areas.

Believe me, I'll heed your suggestions.

Indeed, I had absolutely no idea you had a French version. of this site.

Mind you, you're assuming that ALL foreigners living in France speak a high level of French. I think that's rather a false assumption! In fact, few foreigners living in France for fewer than two years rarely speak above B1 level unless they're Belgian! From experience, I know many Brits who've been here for donkeys and still can't speak, or read French. I'll look at the site as you suggest, but requirements for foreigners in France is slightly different from French citizens - something you wouldn't necessarily know.

Sadly, experience has taught me that French people only know about rules that apply to themselves. I have discovered several times that I know more about French law when it comes to buying a property than most French people, even those who studied law. The likelihood they'll know the rules that apply to me is going to be slim. I'll have a go though and get back to you as a research topic!

Hi Jinthing, sounds like option 3 is going to be easiest.

When you say 'The Embassy', that would be the British Embassy?, but I doubt they can attest things deposited in another country, and I am not a French citizen. Sorry, if I didn't make that clear.

If you're a U.K. citizen, then yes, the U.K. embassy in Bangkok Thailand. (Or consulate outside Bangkok if available.)

You'll need an "income letter" from them and each embassy has their own rules for what you must show for them to accept your income claim.

Someone here to tell you the rules that the U.K. embassy has on that.

It's not about deposits for the income letter. It's about INCOME.

Thai immigration generally accepts the letters though it's good to have evidence to back it up to them IF asked, which is unlikely.

As you're using the COMBINATION method, that means you will need a THAI bank account and the means to transfer funds into it from abroad. Unless you already have a funded THAI bank account.

Example of a COMBINATION application:

600K income (shown with embassy letter)

200K (at least) in Thai bank account

It used to be for combination applications, money seasoning wasn't needed, but it's probably a good idea to season the banked money for two months for your application for retirement extension in Thailand.

You have a way to get an O visa in France?

You need an O visa in your passport to apply for a retirement extension.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thanks again, Jingthing. Yes, as a British citizen, I have applied for an O visa in France through the Thai Consulate in Lyon. They have told me there shouldn't be a problem and it'll only take one week to get a visa and return my passport. It cost 60 euros + courier.

The financial requirement for an O visa is apparently only 1000 euros in your bank account for 'foreigners' and 5000 euros for French nationals. There are slightly different exigencies for foreigners.

My first application was rejected because my bank letter was 2 weeks out-of-date. I don't know about the UK, but here, your bank attestation has to be dated within 15 days of your actual application so the Embassy knows the amount is current.

Without being funny, what do you mean by 'seasoned'? Do you mean show the account's been used for at least two months as opposed to 'just a recent receptacle for showing the requisite amount of money"? If so, that's very sound advice. I'll certainly do that! Thank you again.

Seasoning means the required money needs to be at least the required amount and not below even one baht during the seasoning period.

Examples,

For an 800K baht pure bank application when 2 months seasoning is needed.

Not one baht under 800K for 2 months before the application date.

For combo application, to season, figure the amount you need and don't go below even one baht during the seasoning period.

The amount you need depends on your INCOME.

(OR)

(OR)

Seraphina, where do you plan to apply for your retirement extension? What province?

Hi NancyL, I have no agenda for my trip to Thailand. I'll do an outline plan closer to my departure, so I'm flexible. I'll go wherever my nose takes me and wherever I need to go for the extension. I only know that I don't intend to work...and probably won't do touristy things. I did such a journey 28 years ago and had a great time. Eventually, I'll want to settle and relocate lock, stock and barrel, but I don't see that happening until I can get to grips with the different areas.

Believe me, I'll heed your suggestions.

I'm asking about where you plan to retire because if it's Chiang Mai province, the queues at the Immigration office for retirement extensions are notoriously long, with people being told to arrive at 6 am to be certain to receive a queue number. Also, be sure that the owner of the place where you reside has filed a TM30 because they'll look for it in their system.

Other provinces are easier to deal with for retirement extensions -- Pattaya (Jomtien office) and Phuket receive good reports, although the Phuket office apparently asks to see documentary evidence to backup your Income Letter. If you're living on Koh Samui, there are recent reports that they're requiring a medical check within 7 days of applying for a retirement extension.

None of these local quirks are extremely high hurdles, but they're something you should check out before you set out for the local immigration office, thinking that all the "rules" are the same nationally.