10 vs 1 - Pattaya tourists capture brutal gang attack in Thai holiday video

webfact

10 vs 1 - Pattaya tourists capture brutal gang attack in Thai holiday video

s2p.jpg
Image: Sanook

PATTAYA: -- Everybody likes to take videos of their happy times on holiday home with them. But visitors to the resort on Monday shared a different kind of holiday memory.

They filmed a street attack as a large group of students attacked a solitary youth. They even captured the moment when the student 'wais' his assailants only to be kicked some more, reported Sanook.

Sanook.com reported that the video - 31 seconds long and posted on social media - was bad for the image of Pattaya because it was filmed by foreigners and shared by them.

It was filmed by the tourists who were on a bus on the Pattaya Na Klua Road.

The boy was attacked when a group of around eight others arrived on motorcycles near a technical school. After a first beating they leave only to be followed up by another group who continue the attack.

A group of six of the assailants later turned themselves in to police. One man aged 29 called Thongchai admitted his role and will be charged with assault. Another five are under 18 and police are deciding whether to press charges.

A complaint has now been registered on behalf of the victim.

reporters who went to the scene said that witnesses fearful of reprisals were reluctant to say anything. One female baht bus driver did say that she heard on of the assailants shout as a kicking took place: "Remember that - you got my younger brother first".

One witness said they dialed 191 at the time but got no reply.

Source: Sanook

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-22

!! Warning: Graphic content !!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" The video was bad for the image of Pattaya because it was filmed by foreigners and shared by them. "

I can see a special unit being set up to suppress videos like this and to deal with those who make such films and post them.

I'm sure that the exact place this happened and especially one element in the surrounding background has raised the interest the authorities have taken in the video and why they consider it especially image-damaging.

For filmed and shared by foreigners - read - this is bad because we can't arrest them or suppress the video...

Can't suppress the video sure but can't arrest the foreigners I'm not so sure.

Fighting between groups of male students from rival vocational schools is unfortunately a long-standing problem. Young people have died in these "rumbles" so this fella can consider himself lucky. Similar gang-banging is common in other countries as well, especially among youths. This has nothing do with, or impact on, foreigners living or visiting Thailand/Pattaya.

Its good to see the police will apprehend this video taker, This video has damaged the very fabric of Thai culture and Thainess in general, I hope this criminal farang gets to feel the full brunt of the Thai Justice system and is slapped with a 500 bht fine.

Start giving these worthless thugs 5 to 10 years in prison for this type Assault/Battery it may help stop it. If they kill the victim execute them !!

The World does not need these Gangs, Terrorist or Drug Dealers, just re-cycle them !!

Am I reading right... You are against the foreigners who took the video. Tough luck, so they should. What has happened to Thailand, this so called gentle land of smiles. Of course the world should be told about Thailand ... If I had children I definitely wouldn't allow them to take a holiday here. Its reputation was ruined long ago..

For filmed and shared by foreigners - read - this is bad because we can't arrest them or suppress the video...

once again these skinny armed kangaroo looking scum bags use their feet instead of fighting like real men! a real bunch of cowards who cannot attack anyone unless they are in packs!

Fighting between groups of male students from rival vocational schools is unfortunately a long-standing problem. Young people have died in these "rumbles" so this fella can consider himself lucky. Similar gang-banging is common in other countries as well, especially among youths. This has nothing do with, or impact on, foreigners living or visiting Thailand/Pattaya.

Except that, as was the subject of lengthy discussion in another thread, Thailand actively promotes itself as a nation which is uniquely blessed with Buddhist calm, serenity, compassion and good nature.

Indeed it labels itself "The Land of Smiles".

The concern shown by the authorities about this publicity, and other incidents, is precisely that it demonstrates the reality which you seek to use to defend it - it's just like everywhere else.

Edited by Enoon

" The video was bad for the image of Pattaya because it was filmed by foreigners and shared by them. "

I can see a special unit being set up to suppress videos like this and to deal with those who make such films and post them.

I would not be surprised at all.....

There really is not honor or integrity among the men in this country...with so many farang in Pattaya, I truly hope that if Thais attacked one of us, that fellow expats would join in...for most of us who are able bodied, 1 farang can take 2 thais, given that they are such cowards...

We need to keep an eye out for each other...the times are changing, and it doesn't bode well for farang here...

If I had children I definitely wouldn't allow them to take a holiday here. Its reputation was ruined long ago..

Don't allow them to take a holiday in France, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands, Italy either!

These are the countries where I used to live and where the violence is the same.

The only difference with these countries and Thailand: it's not reported so often than in Thailand.

Except that, as was the subject of lengthy discussion in another thread, Thailand actively promotes itself as a nation which is uniquely blessed with Buddhist calm, serenity, compassion and good nature.

Indeed it labels itself "The Land of Smiles".

The concern shown by the authorities about this publicity, and other incidents, is precisely that it demonstrates the reality which you seek to use to defend it - it's just like everywhere else.

Well, it is ... and it is not.

Of course gang bashing exists in other countries, the whole issue here is in what proportion. My impression, after coming to Thailand for 30 years and actually living here for half of that time, is that it happens more in Thailand than in many other countries. As you very aptly point out, Enoon, the quick reaction of anger and denial by the autorities is proof in itself that they know how bad it is.

Some of the comments on this thread use the expression 'to fight like men' and oppose it to gang bashing. To me, considering that fighting is somehow a manly thing to do is pathetic, and shows how dreadfully uncivilized this world still is. The real difference is not between Neanderthal and Pithecanthropus but between men who see fighting as normal and those who try to overcome this low and demeaning urge which is an unfortunate part of our nature.

Edited by Yann55