Tourist visa to Non B visa conversion?

Hello. Is it possible to convert a tourist visa to non b visa when in Thailand?

Someone I know was offered employment in Thailand, she's in her home country of India now. The company's lawyer asked her to come to Thailand on a tourist visa which they will then convert to a non b.

Just want to make sure if that's possible and will she be able to later get a one year extension of stay based on employment to avoid border runs.

It is possible to to change of visa status from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa ( Class B ) at Bangkok immigration. At least 15 days remaining on the 60 day entry are required and it takes two trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps. The list of required documents to do it is long. See: change visa to non-b docs.pdf

They will not be able to do border runs or visa runs since they are from India. The most they get is a 15 day visa on arrival at some borders. No nearby embassy will issue them a visa.

Thank you,

I understand that holders of multiple entry non b visas need to leave the country every 90 days to extend their stay. If thats not an option for an Indian will she be able to get a single entry non b followed by a one year extension of stay based on work permit, assuming that the company provides all necessary documents?

The only place they would get a multiple entry non-b would be in India and I suspect that would be hard to get. They could make border runs if they had a multiple entry visa.

If they are able to do the change of visa status at immigration there should not be any problem to get a one year extension of stay. The required documents are the same for both.