So what did the Brexit supporters gain?

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

... The story did not break 56 days ago, it was published yesterday following a journalist interview with the CEO ... "new" news, not old - ...

Yes, but... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ubs-boss-andrea-orcel-says-jobs-will-be-moved-from-london-after-brexit-a7132821.html

Check the publishing date.

Maybe the UBS boss didn't get the sudden surge of new 'investors' that his 56 day-old initial statement was hoped to garner.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, but... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ubs-boss-andrea-orcel-says-jobs-will-be-moved-from-london-after-brexit-a7132821.html

Check the publishing date. The BBC is simply playing catch-up... as always.

The BBC comments refer to the CEO, a Mr Sergio Ermotti, who was speaking to the Japanese newspaper Nikkei. You are referring to a Bloomberg TV interview with another executive in July ... a lower ranking executive. The CEO comments put a lot more meat on the bone, and carry more weight ... 20-30% of their workforce. 

The argument on here is that this is all just "talk" or "speculation". Well clearly it is much more than that ... it will be action should the deal be not to their liking. Keep up.

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Check the publishing date.

Maybe the UBS boss didn't get the sudden surge of new 'investors' that his 56 day-old initial statement was hoped to garner.

I've given up with Alex. Honest debate is an alien concept to him.

It has been an entertaining thread, makes a change from the usual Thai bashing. The quote of the day must be "they are happy with the brexit outcome" - What outcome?

As far as I am concerned the damage has been done and as they say, you cannot 'unring' the bell. Anything from here on in will be of little consequence. By the time I cease to be an EU citizen I will have either been BBQ'd or sat in a wheelchair somewhere trying to get the best out of a rundown and demoralised NHS.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It has been an entertaining thread, makes a change from the usual Thai bashing. The quote of the day must be "they are happy with the brexit outcome" - What outcome?

As far as I am concerned the damage has been done and as they say, you cannot 'unring' the bell. Anything from here on in will be of little consequence. By the time I cease to be an EU citizen I will have either been BBQ'd or sat in a wheelchair somewhere trying to get the best out of a rundown and demoralised NHS.

Fear not Khun Sandy, Khun Han will be on in a minute to explain how Boris, Liam and David are going to inject £350 million per week into the NHS. The pledge was on the side of the Battle bus ... bold as brass ... so it must be true! Khan Han is the residing expert on mendacity. :wai2:

On 9/6/2016 at 8:10 AM, dick dasterdly said:

37 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Australia is very interested in a comprehensive trade deal with us:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37291832

It will take years for Britain to complete the process of leaving the European Union so Australia will pursue a trade deal with the bloc first, Australian Trade Minister Steven Ciobo said on Tuesday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-australia-idUKKCN11C20F

7 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

It will take years for Britain to complete the process of leaving the European Union so Australia will pursue a trade deal with the bloc first, Australian Trade Minister Steven Ciobo said on Tuesday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-australia-idUKKCN11C20F

Correct Robin. About two, from the triggering af article 50. During which time, we will be trading pretty normally within the EU bloc. That's why the pre-agreement discussions with Australia have already started :thumbsup:.

But, as always, the glass is half-empty for remainers.

When remainders pointed out potential dangers it was scare mongering...the Brexit argument seems that as it hasn't happened, it won't happen

Well get a load of the public letter from those scaremongers the Japanese....

"There are numerous Japanese businesses operating in Europe, which have created 440,000 jobs. A considerable number of these firms are concentrated in the UK. Nearly half of Japanese direct investment intended for the EU in 2015 flowed to the UK ...we strongly request that the UK will consider this fact seriously and respond in a responsible manner to minimise any harmful effects on these businesses."

47 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

When remainders pointed out potential dangers it was scare mongering...the Brexit argument seems that as it hasn't happened, it won't happen

Well get a load of the public letter from those scaremongers the Japanese....

"There are numerous Japanese businesses operating in Europe, which have created 440,000 jobs. A considerable number of these firms are concentrated in the UK. Nearly half of Japanese direct investment intended for the EU in 2015 flowed to the UK ...we strongly request that the UK will consider this fact seriously and respond in a responsible manner to minimise any harmful effects on these businesses."

Japan has, quite rightly, expressed concern about it's investments in Europe (and in particular the UK), because of their uncertainty about the changes that are about to take place. And the UK won't let them down.

36 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Japan has, quite rightly, expressed concern about it's investments in Europe (and in particular the UK), because of their uncertainty about the changes that are about to take place. And the UK won't let them down.

As the report was passed to the UK, I think you'll find they were expressing concern at the investment they have made in the UK, and simply pointing out that the UK got the lion's share of European focused investment, on the basis that they would continue to be an EU member. The Japanese were actively courted by the UK to invest in Britain, and they understandably feel let down. 

10 hours ago, Khun Han said:

"Brostrich" - it's not up to the UK - it is up to the EU

Edited by cumgranosalum

Theresa May will host the European Council president, Donald Tusk, for a breakfast meeting in Downing Street on Thursday to discuss Britain’s future relationship with the European Union, after she told the House of Commons she would not give a “running commentary on negotiations”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/07/theresa-may-questions-uk-eu-single-market-pmqs

So much for the foot stamping, arms waving, gums flapping mouthpieces from the EU. I distinctly remember the phrase '' No Negotiations until A 50 is invoked ''

Some of these people would be better keeping their mouths shut, better still, removed from their positions.  Most of them have spent so much time in an isolated bubble that they are as much use as t!ts on a f!sh.

A little closer to home, the equally useless UK Politicians that are deriding the PM for refusing to give a running commentary on negotiations, need to take a long, hard look at themselves. The PM is absolutely correct in refusing to give a running commentary and should say nothing until a deal with the EU ( whatever form it takes ) is thrashed out between the UK and the EU.

There is a reason that certain people have been appointed into key Brexit positions ( For better or worse ) now let them get on with the task in hand. It is so easy to chuck insults from the sidelines, might be better to ask yourself why you are chucking insults from the sidelines and not taking part as a key member of the Brexit team.

Politicians ? Do not make me flocking laugh. There is wiser eating grass.

15 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

... "There are numerous Japanese businesses operating in Europe, which have created 440,000 jobs. A considerable number of these firms are concentrated in the UK. Nearly half of Japanese direct investment intended for the EU in 2015 flowed to the UK ...we strongly request that the UK will consider this fact seriously and respond in a responsible manner to minimise any harmful effects on these businesses." ...

In other words, the Japanese desperately need the UK to do a direct trade deal with them as soon as possible so that it dovetails with Brexit in 2 years time.

Theresa May will host the European Council president, Donald Tusk, for a breakfast meeting in Downing Street on Thursday to discuss Britain’s future relationship with the European Union, after she told the House of Commons she would not give a “running commentary on negotiations”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/07/theresa-may-questions-uk-eu-single-market-pmqs

So much for the foot stamping, arms waving, gums flapping mouthpieces from the EU. I distinctly remember the phrase '' No Negotiations until A 50 is invoked ''

Some of these people would be better keeping their mouths shut, better still, removed from their positions.  Most of them have spent so much time in an isolated bubble that they are as much use as t!ts on a f!sh.

A little closer to home, the equally useless UK Politicians that are deriding the PM for refusing to give a running commentary on negotiations, need to take a long, hard look at themselves. The PM is absolutely correct in refusing to give a running commentary and should say nothing until a deal with the EU ( whatever form it takes ) is thrashed out between the UK and the EU.

There is a reason that certain people have been appointed into key Brexit positions ( For better or worse ) now let them get on with the task in hand. It is so easy to chuck insults from the sidelines, might be better to ask yourself why you are chucking insults from the sidelines and not taking part as a key member of the Brexit team.

[Apologies quoting seems to have got messed up]

In fairness by EU law there can be no (formal) negotiations until Article 50 has been triggered as only the EU is allowed to negotiate on behalf of the member states (so would be negotiating with itself).

No doubt everybody wants to have informal negotiations but it's hardly something you can "Formally" announce [emoji12]

On 06/09/2016 at 3:54 PM, ljd1308 said:

Not if the reasons for voting don't come to fruition, so far I have been given the following reasons for voting to leave(i will leave my personal views out of the list):

- Wanting a points based immigration system

- Xenophobia

- My forefathers fought Germany

- So fishermen don't have quotas

- MEPs get paid too much

- 350m a week back in to the NHS

- Economic reasons

- Pensions are failing

- So we do not have to comply to EU regulations

- Better trade deals outside of the EU

- Every Somali immigrant in the UK is too high for work due to a 200 pound a year drug habit

There are no doubt many more, but unless every single reason for voting is addressed in the Brexit agreement some people will not get what they voted for. 

If 1m people voted due to the fisherman and they still have to abide by quotas, then potentially those 1m people will want to change their vote as they are not getting what they voted for

That is the issue with the vagueness of the question.....nobody knows.

Don't you think that people should know what they are voting for before voting?

I believed I was voting for this!

PicsArt_06-23-08.37.27.jpg

15 hours ago, AlexRich said:

As the report was passed to the UK, I think you'll find they were expressing concern at the investment they have made in the UK, and simply pointing out that the UK got the lion's share of European focused investment, on the basis that they would continue to be an EU member. The Japanese were actively courted by the UK to invest in Britain, and they understandably feel let down. 

I could well be wrong as I'm far from an 'expert' (not that means much after the experts previous forecasts....) but - I've no doubt that the global financial companies and countries are very worried indeed about the possible collapse of the EU - and will do their best to prevent this.

The UK leaving the EU is perhaps the first step towards the EU collapsing.  So hardly suprising that everyone is doing their best to ensure this never happens.

6 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

"Brostrich" - it's not up to the UK - it is up to the EU

As far as I can make out, its up to both.

Once Article 50 has been invoked then withdrawal will happen after 2 years - that can be extended if all EU countries agree to extend the deadline?

I'm assuming that if the UK doesn't want the deadline extended - then the UK will exit the EU after 2 years?

2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

Exactly.  Everybody knew that negotiations would obviously be going on behind the scenes - even those that keep saying 'negotiations cannot happen until Article 50 has been invoked'.

As far as I can make out, its up to both.

Once Article 50 has been invoked then withdrawal will happen after 2 years - that can be extended if all EU countries agree to extend the deadline?

I'm assuming that if the UK doesn't want the deadline extended - then the UK will exit the EU after 2 years?

Probably unlikely to get done in 2 years unless triggering Art 50 is held back to 2018.

EU budget runs to 2020 and would be a huge job to renegotiate so 27 remaining EU members would probably want an extension to that point to maintain the UK contribution.

Best interests of UK would be to get any future trade deal sorted out before brexit rather than negotiate after leaving since the terms of the brexit deal only need agreeing by qualified majority voting from EU whereas any deal done afterwards would need ratifying by all member states.
21 minutes ago, Orac said:

Best interests of UK would be to get any future trade deal sorted out before brexit rather than negotiate after leaving since the terms of the brexit deal only need agreeing by qualified majority voting from EU whereas any deal done afterwards would need ratifying by all member states.

The UK is already in trade deal talks with Countries outside the EU.

As far as trade deals with the EU goes, this will be a central component part of the Brexit negotiations.

The EU does far more trade with the UK than the UK does with the EU. Something that certain posters should keep in the back of the minds.

Despite some very silly stupid remarks emanating from certain EU officials, the UK and the EU both need each other for the foreseeable future.

Despite the sabre rattling from both sides, a deal will be struck that is to the benefit of both parties, the more that the blowhards keep rattling their gums, the harder it will be to reach that agreement.

34 minutes ago, Orac said:

Probably unlikely to get done in 2 years unless triggering Art 50 is held back to 2018.

EU budget runs to 2020 and would be a huge job to renegotiate so 27 remaining EU members would probably want an extension to that point to maintain the UK contribution.

If the Brit. govt. triggers Article 50 on 1st Jan '17 (for arguments sake), are you saying that on 1st Jan '19 the UK cannot leave the EU unless the EU agrees?

If the Brit. govt. triggers Article 50 on 1st Jan '17 (for arguments sake), are you saying that on 1st Jan '19 the UK cannot leave the EU unless the EU agrees?

No - we automatically leave two years after triggering Art 50 unless both sides agree to an extension. My point was that the UK want that trade deal and EU want to avoid budget complications until 2020.