Backpackers swim in flood water on Khao San because, how often do they get to do that?

webfact

For the life of me I don't understand why backpackers are so reviled nearly everywhere.

Complete mystery.

W

I don't revile them, but they are a weird species even though in terms of my age, I could be in the backpacker demographic but I choose not to be.

These are some of the reasons backpackers are reviled:

- they are cheap, not just cheap but super stingy like extreme cheapskates style. They'll fight over 5 Baht. At overland border crossings they'll hold up buses for 2 hours just to make a point about not wanting to pay $2 in fees to a Cambodian or Lao immigration officer and then they'll post a blog about it!

- they smell and rarely shower. That one needs no explanation.

- they walk around everywhere with their huge backpacks, even to inappropriate places.

- they stay in the dingiest dives then complain about how bad it was. Duh...what did you expect for $5 a night, a palace? Spend a buck, stay somewhere better.

- they get upset/offended etc. if a place quoted in their "bible" i.e. the Lonely Planet guidebook to whichever country they're in, has increased it's prices and will argue with the owner that the "guide" told them you are cheating them!

- they don't really care about local culture, preferring only to gravitate to wherever they can find cheap drinks with the objective to get as drunk as often and quickly as possible.

- they are loud, arrogant, belligerent and often abuse locals. No wonder many of them get fed up and start attacking these imbeciles, then they wonder how they end up in hospital.

Total nonsense. In Thailand many don't really revile the backpacker until they give them a funny look as they are double the age of the Thai woman they are with. They make fun of the backpacker or the TEFL teacher as it makes their sexpat life seem superior. Yes, I've been a backpacker and wasn't dirty. I had a beard and long hair and smoked copious amounts of dope but was always clean. Never had a Lonely Planet but did read some once or twice. Those were some of the best days of my life - travelling around India in 6 months by train, Nepal, Thailand, Mexico, Venezuela, France, Spain, Australia and many other countries.

I'd say your post is way off the mark.

Not all backpackers are like I said, but many ARE. I know I'm right so do you. You had a beard, long hair, smoked dope but were always clean? Either good for you (not that I care in the slightest about your appearance), or you only thought you were clean and no one had the guts to tell you that you weren't.

I meet my fair share of backpackers on my travels, but the common theme for them is always cheap, cheap, cheap. I've never ever met a backpacker on a splurge so don't try to tell me I'm wrong when you know damn well I'm right.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the life of me I don't understand why backpackers are so reviled nearly everywhere.

Complete mystery.

W

I don't revile them, but they are a weird species even though in terms of my age, I could be in the backpacker demographic but I choose not to be.

- they are cheap, not just cheap but super stingy like extreme cheapskates style. They'll fight over 5 Baht. At overland border crossings they'll hold up buses for 2 hours just to make a point about not wanting to pay $2 in fees to a Cambodian or Lao immigration officer and then they'll post a blog about it!

- they walk around everywhere with their huge backpacks, even to inappropriate places.

- they stay in the dingiest dives then complain about how bad it was. Duh...what did you expect for $5 a night, a palace? Spend a buck, stay somewhere better.

- they get upset/offended etc. if a place quoted in their "bible" i.e. the Lonely Planet guidebook to whichever country they're in, has increased it's prices and will argue with the owner that the "guide" told them you are cheating them!

- they don't really care about local culture, preferring only to gravitate to wherever they can find cheap drinks with the objective to get as drunk as often and quickly as possible.

- they are loud, arrogant, belligerent and often abuse locals. No wonder many of them get fed up and start attacking these imbeciles, then they wonder how they end up in hospital.

Total nonsense. In Thailand many don't really revile the backpacker until they give them a funny look as they are double the age of the Thai woman they are with. They make fun of the backpacker or the TEFL teacher as it makes their sexpat life seem superior. Yes, I've been a backpacker and wasn't dirty. I had a beard and long hair and smoked copious amounts of dope but was always clean. Never had a Lonely Planet but did read some once or twice. Those were some of the best days of my life - travelling around India in 6 months by train, Nepal, Thailand, Mexico, Venezuela, France, Spain, Australia and many other countries.

Not all backpackers are like I said, but many ARE. I know I'm right so do you. You had a beard, long hair, smoked dope but were always clean? Either good for you (not that I care in the slightest about your appearance), or you only thought you were clean and no one had the guts to tell you that you weren't.

I meet my fair share of backpackers on my travels, but the common theme for them is always cheap, cheap, cheap. I've never ever met a backpacker on a splurge so don't try to tell me I'm wrong when you know damn well I'm right.

I also say you're wrong. Having a beard makes him dirty???

Of course backpackers don't splurge, I guess you've never actually talked to one as you are so superior.

I find it weird that if you don't like something you are "bitter and twisted"

I hate Cancer, i hate homophobia, i hate Dave at number 34.

Yet the one thing i am "bitter and twisted" about is haters.

Is this an "oxymoron" moment?

Help me out TV

The backpackers that used to gravitate to Vang Vieng prior to 2012 were the worst. Absolutely filthy, horrible creatures. They were always either drunk or stoned, walking around town with no clothes on, frightening and disrespecting the locals and their customs. Thank god the Lao authorities woke up to this mess, cleaned up all the bars and in the process, all the thousands of gap-year backpackers.

Nowadays, Vang Vieng is back to being a fairly quiet town, with more families, Koreans, smaller numbers of backpackers who actually care about the culture at least a little bit, Thais, Chinese on self-drive holidays from Yunnan and Lao from Vientiane. A much better mix than the 99% beligerent 18-30 western crowd that almost destroyed the town a few years ago.

Looks like there are a few jealous old folks here!

I did this sort of thing when I was backpacking and am so glad I did or I would be jealous as well. Sure I miss being young and carefree but one important lesson I learnt is that money does not make you happy (but it does make being miserable a lot easier).

Five star hotels and posh restaurants are OK but a few drinks and a swim in the street with your room mates from the hostel is priceless. I know which I would prefer to look back on when I am stuck in an old folks home.

I always used to start my stay in Thailand with food and a few drinks in the middle of Khao San at Lucky Beer when it had the 2 stone balls water feature. Just watching other young people was amazing after the repressed life we have in the UK and set me up for my 2 or 3 month stay. It's not the same now I bypass Bangkok and head straight for Ubon.

It's called having fun with your mates. I know a lot of you are old now maybe you have forgotten how to have fun indeed forgotten your youth and some of the silly things you did ????. I know I had plenty fun and did lots of silly things back in the day. But moments of levity seem to be frowned upon by TV posters ( in the main not all ).

Sit back have a think back and rremember your youth you may just enjoy the trip

What they did...i'v done far more stupid than that, all good fun.

Backpacking means to me...."i can't afford to do what i really want to do"

No need to reply as your replies are a default, "yes we did, we loved it, say the world etc". Yeah, sure you did, gigglem.gif in a real basic and cheap way which means you really didn't see much.

5,4,3,2,1 go go go

Complete mystery.

W

“Those who have not found their true wealth, which is the radiant joy of Being and the deep, unshakable peace that comes with it, are beggars, even if they have great material wealth.”

Eckhart Tolle

No need to reply as your replies are a default, "yes we did, we loved it, say the world etc". Yeah, sure you did, gigglem.gif in a real basic and cheap way which means you really didn't see much.

5,4,3,2,1 go go go

I saw more of life living in Khao San Road in 1985 for 6 months than I did living in a nice house in Sukhumvit 49 for 6 years!.

Don't you realize that backpackers are young, travelling before joining the rat race, or straight out the army in Israelis case.

Boasting that you have more money than a backpacker is rather sad. I'd bet most of the ones when I was one have a lot more monney than you do now plus a lot more happy memories.

I saw more of life living in Khao San Road in 1985 for 6 months than I did living in a nice house in Sukhumvit 49 for 6 years!.

Don't you realize that backpackers are young, travelling before joining the rat race, or straight out the army in Israelis case.

Boasting that you have more money than a backpacker is rather sad. I'd bet most of the ones when I was one have a lot more monney than you do now plus a lot more happy memories.

I'm not boasting about anything, just calling it like i see it. If they have more money that me, great, good on them. I love people progressing in life.

Anyway, the job in Hong Kong i start next month, i hope they don't pay me minimum wage as a mechanical engineer :(

I'm not boasting about anything, just calling it like i see it. If they have more money that me, great, good on them. I love people progressing in life.

Anyway, the job in Hong Kong i start next month, i hope they don't pay me minimum wage as a mechanical engineer sad.png

Do you start a job as an engineer next month in Hong Kong ? :cheesy: Why the low self-esteem?

I also say you're wrong. Having a beard makes him dirty???

Of course backpackers don't splurge, I guess you've never actually talked to one as you are so superior.

It's very common, but it's a very bad thing to read into someone's comment, more than is actually there. In this instance, you have recalled your own life and assumed that aspersions are being cast on you, but in fact you're one casting the aspersions on yourself.. They probably weren't, but it's a revealing bit of defensiveness.

Subjectivity isn't objectivity. and vice-versa.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Anyway, the job in Hong Kong i start next month, i hope they don't pay me minimum wage as a mechanical engineer sad.png

Crikey. You're starting a job next month and you don't know how much you're going to get paid? Hope it's not a Chinese company. Or Thai.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

"Looks like there are a few jealous old folks here!"

When I was a lad, I wanted a bike. My folks couldn't afford to give me one for my birthday, but my Dad borrowed a fiver to buy one from a friend of his. It was too big, the handlebars weren't straight (like my mates), there were no gears and no whitewall tyres. These things aren't important to me now, but as a lad of 9, they were.

When I fronted up at a friend's hous eto go on a lengthy bike ride, I got laughed at, seriously laughed at for the state of my birthday present bike.. So I withdrew and went home (crying as I recall). My mum cuddled me and said "Never mind, they're just jealous of your new bike".

Which was rubbish then. And it's rubbish now. I doubt any of the old fogeys on TV, including me, are jealous of backpackers, and it's a bizarre comment to make that they are.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

Crikey. You're starting a job next month and you don't know how much you're going to get paid? Hope it's not a Chinese company. Or Thai.

W

Lol.....just lol

When I was a lad, I wanted a bike. My folks couldn't afford to give me one for my birthday, but my Dad borrowed a fiver to buy one from a friend of his. It was too big, the handlebars weren't straight (like my mates), there were no gears and no whitewall tyres. These things aren't important to me now, but as a lad of 9, they were.

When I fronted up at a friend's hous eto go on a lengthy bike ride, I got laughed at, seriously laughed at for the state of my birthday present bike.. So I withdrew and went home (crying as I recall). My mum cuddled me and said "Never mind, they're just jealous of your new bike".

Which was rubbish then. And it's rubbish now. I doubt any of the old fogeys on TV, including me, are jealous of backpackers, and it's a bizarre comment to make that they are.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I'm sure many are.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I'm sure many are.

Really? Wow. I wouldn't go back to those times, not unless I could go back together with what I know now.

Perhaps I'm the odd man out.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I'm sure many are.

Really? Wow. I wouldn't go back to those times, not unless I could go back together with what I know now.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I for one would go back in a heartbeat ,to see my mum and dad again would be fantastic. I wouldnt want to know what I know now , to live my childhood again would be a bonus

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I thought it was quite obvious that I am not saying anyone is jealous of someone because they have less money. Those kids had better bikes than you had so I agree would not be jealous. Backpackers on the other hand have youth and the ability to have fun even on a shoestring. The fogeys will mostly have lost both these qualities and rely on boasting about how much they can spend on posh hotels and the like to make themselves feel superior. They probably have a comfortable life but not much fun. Just because someone has less money than you does not mean you are in any way better than them (or visa versa).

A mate of mine was out on his scrambler a few years ago and met a group of lads on their bikes. They laughed at his kit - full face helmet, high vis jacket and wellies but he did have a decent bike. They had all the correct gear and looked the part. They all carried on together and when they got to a disused quarry took it in turns to go up a particularly steep bank. Out of those who had the bottle to try it, only my mate could make it to the top. When he left them they all respected him even if they were still laughing at his gear.

Another example of the well off thinking they are better than the rest of us and that we should conform to their ideals - a different mate was out on his bike going over some Welsh mountains, near his house, stopped to let a walker past. The man had a go at my mate for riding on the mountain saying it made a mess with the tyre tracks and was noisy etc. My mate then told the cockney prick to go back home and demolish London and turn it back into green fields and forests before coming 200 miles and expect the locals to keep Wales nice and tidy for him to walk through.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I'm sure many are.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I feel sad for you. I never had much in the way of material things but I had a very enjoyable life apart from work which I despise and think of as time wasted that should be spent having fun. I got married 7 years ago so now fun has been replaced with more work and responsibility. Having a fantastic wife and a 2 year old son more than compensates. If I was not married I would be first in line to be 16 again - life was great back then.

Edited by chang1

5,4,3,2,1 go go go

My take on this -

Working means to me ...."i can't afford to do what i really want to do"

Backpacking means to me...."At last I am doing things I really want to do and if it means I have to be a cheap Charlie to enable me to do it longer - not a problem"

Unfortunately my wife has a different opinion - it must be a "face" thing.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I'm sure many are.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

I for one would go back in a heartbeat ,to see my mum and dad again would be fantastic. I wouldnt want to know what I know now , to live my childhood again would be a bonus

I think perhaps it all depends on when you did your developing. I did my personal development and most of my learning after the age off. Hence I would not go back to what, for me, was a more naive time. Everyone's different, for many it would be the reverse. I don't regret the past (I've worked through all the usual stuff), after all, the past is how I got to the present so it's all important bricks in the wall that I have since torn down.

Personally I have never been happier or more fulfilled than I am right now, - I've been very lucky so I have no real desire to go back. I can remember with great clarity, and can always go back in my mind if and when I wish to. It's not exactly the same and I've implanted some modified memories in place of some of the worst ones, but it's close enough for me.

And I guess that's why I don't feel regretful of the past, or envious of the backpackers, today must be a more miserable time to grow up than I remember. We were lucky in many ways.

Winnie

Trust. But verify.

Edited by Winniedapu

My take on this -

Backpacking means to me...."At last I am doing things I really want to do and if it means I have to be a cheap Charlie to enable me to do it longer - not a problem"

Ironically my line of work does allow me to do what i want

You'll dismiss that though.

zzzzz time for me.

Still better than sex tourists and pervs... ?

At least the sex tourists spend money and wash.

350thb/night room in pattaya.

1000thb/night shorttime whore who asks her client to wash (you're right!) before copulating.

55thb/large leo at 7/11.

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

My take on this -

Ironically my line of work does allow me to do what i want

You'll dismiss that though.

zzzzz time for me.

I don't doubt you at all. Many people love their jobs and I am jealous of all of you. I am also an engineer and enjoy some parts of my job (refrigeration engineer) but most of the time it is just tedious.

I used to be a real engineer at sea which was much more interesting and getting back on topic being a young man had a ball doing many of the things looked down on here when in ports all around the world.

Night night

I don't doubt you at all. Many people love their jobs and I am jealous of all of you. I am also an engineer and enjoy some parts of my job (refrigeration engineer) but most of the time it is just tedious.

I used to be a real engineer at sea which was much more interesting and getting back on topic being a young man had a ball doing many of the things looked down on here when in ports all around the world.

Night night

I did 7 years at sea from 17 to 24 as a Marine Engineer and got up to all sorts around the world.

I don't "love" my job. It's "ok", but i certainly don't hate it. It has taken me round the world a hundred times (around 100 countries i think) which has actually had an adverse effect now. There is absolutely no thrill in getting on a plane going somewhere. That left me 15 years ago....but, there are two places i do get a buzz from when i head there...1 is NYC, the second is Hong Kong, so when this opportunity came out the blue to live and work in HK, i was a rabbit caught in the headlights, and still am TBH. My Visa should be ready in about 3/4 weeks.

It's a huge life changing moment and being able to move the wife and kid with me....that is the best part of it to get them to a country with the opportunities it has. For me, going home after work every day will be a novelty also.