SURVEY: What affect will Brexit have on Europe and the EU?

Scott

SURVEY: What affect will Brexit have on Europe and the EU?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What Affect will Brexit have on Europe and the EU?

With the UK leaving Europe, what affect do you think Brexit will have on Europe and the EU as a whole?

1. It will have a minimal affect on the rest of Europe or the EU.
  2. It will have a major effect on Europe with the possibility of other countries leaving.
  3. It will result in the disintegration of the EU.
  4. The EU will make major reforms and become stronger, more effective and efficient.

Please feel free to leave a comment.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think this will be the end of the EU, at least as we know it. It was a really great idea, but it is so undemocratic and bureaucratic it makes the UN look positively efficient.

It has tons of regulations, but has been completely ineffective in protecting itself or its borders.

I am yet to hear one 'expert' present even the foggiest notion of what effect it will have. The people who voted 'stay' or 'leave' didn't have a clue either.

The most ill informed referendum ever presented to a 'haven't a clue' population in the history of Democracy.

Personally I think this will be the end of the EU, at least as we know it. It was a really great idea, but it is so undemocratic and bureaucratic it makes the UN look positively efficient.

It has tons of regulations, but has been completely ineffective in protecting itself or its borders.

LOL......sad but truesmile.png

I am yet to hear one 'expert' present even the foggiest notion of what effect it will have. The people who voted 'stay' or 'leave' didn't have a clue either.

The most ill informed referendum ever presented to a 'haven't a clue' population in the history of Democracy.

leave it up to the unelected bureaucrats in brussels?.....The nature of democracy is ...leave it up to the people!...(yes even if most are uninformed)

Take away democracy and what are you left with?........answer;...many unknowns........

Some truth in what you say about what next?.......It cannot get worse can it?.......

leave it up to the unelected bureaucrats in brussels?.....The nature of democracy is ...leave it up to the people!...(yes even if most are uninformed)

Take away democracy and what are you left with?........answer;...many unknowns........

Some truth in what you say about what next?.......It cannot get worse can it?.......

The uninformed banter aside.

I don't know, can it? That would be my starting point before I voted not after I voted.

EU will go on. Decision making is likely to improve within EU. I'm hoping that the exit of England and Wales is a trigger to reform EU so that it will concentrate to bigger issues and give us more freedom at the same time.

Wasn't the EU meant to be a trade association? Unfortunately as is so often the case it morphed into an undemocratic bureaucratic nightmare with fascist overtones.

UK was wise to bail that sinking ship. Remember ages ago when UK joined, Australia's agricultural exports were hit hard, no one cared about us though. It was stuff the Commonwealth were joining the Europeans.

So we found new markets and life went on, what a load of rubbish that UK economy will collapse. It will restructure, no doubt with some pain, but if clever will do better freed of the extra unproductive bureaucracy.

While I would have been a Leave voter if I had been allowed to vote, I am sad to see that the main effect it will have in British politics will be to change the guard at No. 10. In the same way that replacing Blair with Brown produced no change, so replacing Cameron with his fellow Old Etonian, Johnson, will similarly change only the guard at No.10.

In other words, despite the intention of the voters to produce massive change, the Establishment remains in charge, and can't even be trusted to negotiate a coherent exit package. Within 24 hours, Boris Johnson was changing his tune on the need to curb migration to the UK.

If there is no genuine change after this most definitive of votes, the country will become totally ungovernable.

Euro is a flawed concept from day 1.

Cannot have a monetary union without political and fiscal union.

Plus some countries are strong and low inflation while others are weak and much higher inflation.

What politician wants to give up his trough? They all have different characters and will never agree is a trillion years.

The euro will eventually fail at a horrific cost.

Just two choices were given British voters: LEAVE or REMAIN.

Our first reaction to the news that the highest turnout of United Kingdom voters in history chose to abandon the European Union is that, as in Scotland or Quebec, the results, 52% to 48%, was simply too close to call.

Such referenda are good examples of genuine participatory democracy rather than simply voting in politicians for their often-false promises.

Regardless of the marginal will of the people, UK’s governing coalition Labour Party has unsurprisingly vowed to ignore the results and remain in the EU.

While that remains to be seen, departure from the Union will mean far more than economic readjustment. The UK will be giving up a well-respected charter, incumbent on all EU countries, incisive and binding oversight on all member country decisions.

It will also mean that the UK, which in recent years has become the world’s premier surveillance state, will be giving up the EU Charter’s protections for human rights, freedom of expression, and civil liberties.

Thailand’s own referendum looms. The vote for a new Constitution is really not about that at all. It’s about the military: LEAVE or REMAIN. Will Thailand’s military decide what’s best for us regardless of the popular vote? We have already been illegitimately forced to give up our Constitutionally-protected freedom of expression. Will we write human rights and civil liberties protections into law for Thailand’s future?

If the Constitution fails, will Thailand’s strongman do the right thing, like David Cameron, and step down? Does he have enough courage to admit he’s been wrong all along?

my goodness you must feel so superior. Was going to say mustbe a Yank but no iIdecided on an Australian ????

The uninformed banter aside.

I don't know, can it? That would be my starting point before I voted not after I voted.

We can only presume the voters think it cannot get worse.........personally i think it will be a storm in teacup(for britain)....but as for the EU..it

will start the ball rolling.....only q is ......how long for the full on breakup.......12/18 months...3 years?

The many experts provided their comments on what would happen if Britain were to be so dumb as to leave the EU - they commented especially on what would happen to the UK because it was the British who were going to make the decision.

Since then, never before have we heard such "buyer's remorse" after such a large collective decision - so many British seemed to believe that the Remain vote would carry the day that they felt free to cast a Brexit vote in protest - now many are calling for a review because, just as the experts predicted, Sterling would fall and become unstable, there would be falls in the stock market etc.

But if you need a comment on what will happen to the EU or Europe, the issue is frankly so open-ended that it is impossible to say with precision at this early stage. Much will depend on the deal that the UK gets on accessing the EU market as this will dictate whether businesses will leave the UK for some other EU country in order to have ready access to the EU market for their goods and services.

But the type of things that can happen are many. It is always possible that the EU member states will take the opportunity to reform (remember that it is the member states who can change the commission and make the EU governance more democratic but to date they do not choose to do so!). Yes, this would be the best outcome for all but I think that it would be over-optimistic.

More likely is that reform is not on the agenda and several more states will leave - in some respects, that would not be such a bad thing for the EU if Hungary clears out - there are many, including myself who saw the expansion of the EU to include Romania and other middle-European states as premature.

I think that if there is instability in the EU, you could see a return to the Western European model or a fast and slow track to integration with Germany, France, Benelux all heading for closer integration with the rest of the South and Middle European countries consigned to a slow track or perhaps leaving the EU.

But whatever happens to the EU, Brexit has made it far more likely that many EU countries are going to find themselves in a low-growth-high unemployment "stagflation" scenario or are probably already in that scenario right now and Brexit will entrench it. None of this is good for the UK or anyone else.

Euro is a flawed concept from day 1.

Cannot have a monetary union without political and fiscal union.

Plus some countries are strong and low inflation while others are weak and much higher inflation.

What politician wants to give up his trough? They all have different characters and will never agree is a trillion years.

The euro will eventually fail at a horrific cost.

Absolutely, "You cannot have a monetary union without political and fiscal union."

"The Euro will eventually fail at a horrific cost."

At which point the union will unravel.

Personally I rather suspect that The Euro was always essentially a vanity project. I suspect that it was intended, if not announced, to challenge and possibly replace the US Dollar as the preeminent world currency.

my goodness you must feel so superior. Was going to say mustbe a Yank but no iIdecided on an Australian ????

Well I don't actually. I was looking for some indepth analysis from independent leading experts on the exiting of the UK from the EU but on each interview and question they didn't seem to have a clue. The answer, it seemed, was a pineapple. If they were submitting a response to this Poll they would have needed to mark each choice. No one seems to have the foggiest idea. The people who would be in the most foggiest position are the actual people who voted to exit the EU. Which makes you wonder if anyone had the foggiest idea when they actually signed up to join the EU. A logical assumption is they had no clue on that decision either.

Britain's exit has been on table for a long time.

This is from 2012 http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-britain-finland-idUSBRE89H19J20121018

Britain seems to be saying "bye bye" to EU, says Finland

Britain's policy towards Europe is becoming harder to understand and there is a sense the country is slowly waving goodbye to the European Union, Finland's Europe minister said on Thursday.

"It's almost as if it's 26 plus 1, to be very honest," he said when asked if the push for deeper integration among the 17 euro zone countries risked leaving Britain and the other nine EU member states in a second-tier group.
"I think Britain is right now, voluntarily, by its own will, putting itself in the margins," he told Reuters in an interview.
I guess it's good to get a new start for both sides.

I believe that the UK have voted the right way.

For me, as a business man owning a British company successfully exporting throughout Europe and the USA I can tell you how hard it is to deal with Europe as a member. There are so many seemingly needless regulations and red tape, many of the regulations are not required in the UK or the USA (bear in mind that the USA are probably the most demanding consumers anywhere). Regulations like Rohs, REACH, various electronics requirements which nobody else asks for, with every year more and more "chemicals of concern' being added to the list. Products having to be checked annually by independent bodies, paid for by the manufacturer, which ultimately gets passed on to the consumer at 4 times the cost by the time it reaches the high street.

Despite the dire predictions about trade, the fact is that they need our trade more than we need theirs, already the individual countries are making overtures to us about trade deals. As only one example (of many) the German automobile companies (MBZ, BMW, Audi, VW) cannot allow the German government to do otherwise, they cannot afford to lose the sales to us, their shareholders will never allow it.

As an individual, private citizen I cannot stand the thought of laws being passed in Brussels which effect us, yet we have no say over. Committees meeting in Brussels behind closed doors with unelected officials making decisions that effect me, yet again I have no say and no re-course if I don't like them.

I see a huge federal government basically doing what it likes with no safety nets for us, no control by us.

Speaking on economics and business I fail to see how anybody cannot see what a huge opportunity being out of the EU presents to Britain. If handled properly by serious folk who know what they are doing (so this counts out all career politicians) Britain could become the biggest banking, trading centre in the world. The head offices of many major businesses could be encouraged to move to the UK. Britain could be the stepping stone between the USA and Europe, with our place in the commonwealth we could be the capital of trade world wide.

How is this possible you ask, EASY, reduce tax, make the UK the best tax haven in the world. Yes REDUCE tax all the big companies will come, all the billionaires will come, they will be paying less tax, in a stable strong country. We will be gathering more tax than ever before, yet as individuals we will be paying less than ever before: Our NHS will be safe, our schools can be made the best in the world, our military will be looked after, our pensioners can have a proper pension. We can deal with slackers who don't contribute.

If everybody gets behind team Britain, stop doing the same old same old that has stopped working for us we can indeed become Great Britain once again.

Here's the sad truth though, I'm watching Sky News and all I'm hearing is politicians bullshit. Nobody is saying that party politics need putting in the bin and we need to be talking about how to make this work.

For me, as a business man owning a British company successfully exporting throughout Europe and the USA I can tell you how hard it is to deal with Europe as a member. There are so many seemingly needless regulations and red tape, many of the regulations are not required in the UK or the USA (bear in mind that the USA are probably the most demanding consumers anywhere). Regulations like Rohs, REACH, various electronics requirements which nobody else asks for, with every year more and more "chemicals of concern' being added to the list. Products having to be checked annually by independent bodies, paid for by the manufacturer, which ultimately gets passed on to the consumer at 4 times the cost by the time it reaches the high street.

Despite the dire predictions about trade, the fact is that they need our trade more than we need theirs, already the individual countries are making overtures to us about trade deals. As only one example (of many) the German automobile companies (MBZ, BMW, Audi, VW) cannot allow the German government to do otherwise, they cannot afford to lose the sales to us, their shareholders will never allow it.

As an individual, private citizen I cannot stand the thought of laws being passed in Brussels which effect us, yet we have no say over. Committees meeting in Brussels behind closed doors with unelected officials making decisions that effect me, yet again I have no say and no re-course if I don't like them.

I see a huge federal government basically doing what it likes with no safety nets for us, no control by us.

Speaking on economics and business I fail to see how anybody cannot see what a huge opportunity being out of the EU presents to Britain. If handled properly by serious folk who know what they are doing (so this counts out all career politicians) Britain could become the biggest banking, trading centre in the world. The head offices of many major businesses could be encouraged to move to the UK. Britain could be the stepping stone between the USA and Europe, with our place in the commonwealth we could be the capital of trade world wide.

How is this possible you ask, EASY, reduce tax, make the UK the best tax haven in the world. Yes REDUCE tax all the big companies will come, all the billionaires will come, they will be paying less tax, in a stable strong country. We will be gathering more tax than ever before, yet as individuals we will be paying less than ever before: Our NHS will be safe, our schools can be made the best in the world, our military will be looked after, our pensioners can have a proper pension. We can deal with slackers who don't contribute.

If everybody gets behind team Britain, stop doing the same old same old that has stopped working for us we can indeed become Great Britain once again.

Here's the sad truth though, I'm watching Sky News and all I'm hearing is politicians bullshit. Nobody is saying that party politics need putting in the bin and we need to be talking about how to make this work.

I still believe (in principal) Brexit was the right decision and the right decision for Europe as well as Blighty, for the same reasons you do. But as you rightly point out in your last paragraph, the handling of Brexit is leading to a disaster, both for the UK and Europe. The blame lies with the politicians and EU commissioners as well as the media.

This ain't going to work out well me thinks.

For me, as a business man owning a British company successfully exporting throughout Europe and the USA I can tell you how hard it is to deal with Europe as a member. There are so many seemingly needless regulations and red tape, many of the regulations are not required in the UK or the USA (bear in mind that

I assume that you wish to sell you products to the EU are, you'll not only have to comply with the EU rules, but also with the new UK rules, once you do so. Now you also have to pay for the customs and external VAT as you are selling stuff outside of the EU.

If your products are only sold to the US or China, then your products have to compline only with the UK and US or China regulations. They also wish to get their hands to customs and VAT taxes. None of the receiving/buying countries are stupid. What did you expect?

The EU regulations can be overwhelming, but those are mainly to protect EU citizens. Sometimes also to protect the Chinese companies not to get to our markets. We prefer to have our own people to sell the products, instead of Chinese cheap products.

This is the everyday racism in EU. Helping our own companies to cope against the Asian cheap market.

But hey, I guess it's just a smog for most of the people. Some less smarter ones might even try to use this against us.

Not so well done.

Edited by Guest

Well I don't actually. I was looking for some indepth analysis from independent leading experts on the exiting of the UK from the EU but on each interview and question they didn't seem to have a clue. The answer, it seemed, was a pineapple. If they were submitting a response to this Poll they would have needed to mark each choice. No one seems to have the foggiest idea. The people who would be in the most foggiest position are the actual people who voted to exit the EU. Which makes you wonder if anyone had the foggiest idea when they actually signed up to join the EU. A logical assumption is they had no clue on that decision either.

I'm sorry but you really don't get it.

Some people will vote for what's best for their country instead of what's best for themselves. That's how all of the great democracies got started. The men who founded America in defiance of the King of England wrote "We pledge our lives and our fortunes..."

This is a worldwide revolution. The elite have pushed the people too far with mass and ugly immigration, shipping good jobs to low wage foreign countries, and generally trying to destroy the host country's culture. If you haven't seen that happening you've been asleep.

People simply want their country back. They want to preserve their culture. They don't want to support every person who walks over the border. They don't want the crime they bring either. Already Muhammed is the most popular name for newborn boys in the UK. What bigger sign do you need that we won't have an England any longer if things don't change?

Those of us who have believed that there is a Western revolution brewing among the people and who predicted Brexit and yes Donald Trump believed it for what I just wrote.

We want our countries back and we're going to get them even if it costs us. Don't talk about money or sacrifices I might have to make. Just talk about how I get my country back for my children and my grandchildren and their children.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

Some people will vote for what's best for their country instead of what's best for themselves. That's how all of the great democracies got started. The men who founded America in defiance of the King of England wrote "We pledge our lives and our fortunes..."

This is a worldwide revolution. The elite have pushed the people too far with mass and ugly immigration, shipping good jobs to low wage foreign countries, and generally trying to destroy the host country's culture. If you haven't seen that happening you've been asleep.

People simply want their country back. They want to preserve their culture. They don't want to support every person who walks over the border. They don't want the crime they bring either. Already Muhammed is the most popular name for newborn boys in the UK. What bigger sign do you need that we won't have an England any longer if things don't change?

Those of us who have believed that there is a Western revolution brewing among the people and who predicted Brexit and yes Donald Trump believed it for what I just wrote.

We want our countries back and we're going to get them even if it costs us. Don't talk about money or sacrifices I might have to make. Just talk about how I get my country back.

Cheers.

Don't be an arse.

It's clear that we all want to have power over our own lives. We also have given our powers for people who can represent what we want in our societies.

Once we have done that, it's our own responsibility to tell the others who are willing to listen to us, how the change should be done.

The change can't be done acting like a spoiled kid in the supermarket yelling "I want that. I want that!!".

The change has to be in co-operation with our environment. With co-operation with the people who we live with. These people do have their own minds, even if they are not yelling it to others.

We, in the EU are not like the folks in USA. We don't start yelling unless it's really required. We tend to think before we act.

Edited by Guest

We want our countries back and we're going to get them even if it costs us. Don't talk about money or sacrifices I might have to make. Just talk about how I get my country back.

Cheers.

Don't be an arse.

-snip-

Oh really. Newsflash for the uninformed: Brexit won.

Oh really. Newsflash for the uninformed: Brexit won.

LOL.

Well, you don't really yet understand how things are done in the educated part of the world. We don't tend to get overly exited over the less informed decisions. We tend to find our ways to get over those.

It's actually the same as in the old days when a wrong monarch was selected to lead the country, his or hers time was up in a moment. Pretty much everybody were happy once the change to better leader happened.