Getting a Thai driving license

MarcelV

I will fly into Bangkok in the evening of July 12 and to my new home town of Narathiwat two days later. I'm bringing my Dutch plus international driving licenses for my car. Could I acquire a Thai license in that one full day in Bangkok? I've read it's only a few test that need to be done before one has fulfilled the requirements.

Another thing: I've never driven a motorbike, but am planning on buying one soon upon arrival. I suppose I should learn how to drive one (maybe a semi-automatic) before purchasing, but again a question arises: where to find somebody willing to teach me? Is there a driving school somewhere in Bangkok, preferably Lat Krabang? I don't need an extensive lesson. Just learning how to start it and switch gears would be pretty damn necessary though.

Just be aware that a car license will not allow you to drive a motorcycle. You will also need to obtain a motorcycle license. The car license, with the IDP, will make is easy to get the car license, but it can involve several days to get the motorcycle license. Congratulations of knowing to take some lessons on a motorbike. Easy to make friends here and find someone to give you lessons. I would pick an educated falang for a teacher, not a Thai, even though there are a lot of bad falang motorcycle drivers also.

I will fly into Bangkok in the evening of July 12 and to my new home town of Narathiwat two days later. I'm bringing my Dutch plus international driving licenses for my car. Could I acquire a Thai license in that one full day in Bangkok?

The main problem might be acquiring an accepted proof of residence?

Medical certificate is easy to get.

You arrive with a Non O visa I assume?

Why the rush?

With your Dutch license plus an IDP (international driving permit) you will also get a license at the Narathiwat DLT office.

Also considering that your proof of residence will be for N.

I've read it's only a few test that need to be done before one has fulfilled the requirements.

Basically correct. Some color blindness test plus reaction test and likely watching a boring video in Thai language.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I will fly into Bangkok in the evening of July 12 and to my new home town of Narathiwat two days later. I'm bringing my Dutch plus international driving licenses for my car. Could I acquire a Thai license in that one full day in Bangkok?

The main problem might be acquiring an accepted proof of residence?

Medical certificate is easy to get.

You arrive with a Non O visa I assume?

Why the rush?

With your Dutch license plus an IDP (international driving permit) you will also get a license at the Narathiwat DLT office.

Also considering that your proof of residence will be for N.

In Bangkok it's easier to find someone at the office who has some command of English. In a non-tourist town like Nara it will be much more difficult with my minimal Thai.

I will arrive on a tourist visa. My employer will use that visa to apply for a Non B visa which should be granted.