Shear Defiance: Thai Students Rebel Against Mandatory Haircuts

rooster59

So what has become of the rule set by the minister of education in 2013 that the short haircut isn't mandatory anymore?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610792-thai-ministry-cuts-5cm-rule-on-schoolboys-hair-length/

Oh I forgot, in Thailand everyone makes up their own rules as they go, as long as they don't have to follow rules set by the government.

it isn't "mandatory" but individual schools can have their own rules.. my school relaxed the rules and allowed the students more flexibility.. start of last semester some of the hairstyles were daft.. now the school has gone back to the old rules...

Another example that a school board in Thailand is incapable of handling handle the most simple situation

So what would YOU have done? (Note we have over 3,000 students) Edited by casualbiker

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what has become of the rule set by the minister of education in 2013 that the short haircut isn't mandatory anymore?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610792-thai-ministry-cuts-5cm-rule-on-schoolboys-hair-length/

Oh I forgot, in Thailand everyone makes up their own rules as they go, as long as they don't have to follow rules set by the government.

it isn't "mandatory" but individual schools can have their own rules.. my school relaxed the rules and allowed the students more flexibility.. start of last semester some of the hairstyles were daft.. now the school has gone back to the old rules...

Another example that a school board in Thailand is incapable of handling handle the most simple situation

So what would YOU have done? (Note we have over 3,000 students)

How they do it in schools in other parts of the world?

It takes as much effort to demand a clean haircut as it is to demand a shaved head.

The haircuts are not the major problem but why do the powers to be want everyone to look the same and be the same. Thailand really needs individulism and people acting differently from each other. At the moment all we have is clones. People need to grow and develop in their own ways but this being stifled in Thailand will prevent new ideas being formed and lead to Thailand continuing the same as always, and not advancing. With this attitude, Thailand will always be a third world country!

One could fairly easily make an argument, that Thailand is one of the least progressive nations on earth. Easily. Most Thais are taught to live inside a very, very small box, and individuality, creative thought, original ideas, and bucking the trend or norm in any way, is discouraged. What will people say? What will they think? Maybe you will look bad. All about face, and the enormous limitations imposed upon an individual, by the very limiting ideas of how one is perceived by others. On a certain level, I can understand why one might be concerned about what your close friends and family think of you. But, total strangers? They matter less than a knat. There is absolutely no significance to the thoughts of strangers, in the mind of a confident, self assured person, with high self esteem, and a sense of self.

The Thai bashers are out in force again. As you're talking about psychological issues, I suggest you look within yourself at the need to constantly put down one of the success stories in development from a 3ed world country to what it is today instead of looking at the positives. Ever heard of self-righteous judgment and why people do it?

You obviously don't realize that when I moved to work in Thailand in 1985 it was a country with nearly 70% poverty. 30 years late it has a huge $400 billion economy with around 10% poverty. I've witnessed this amazing turnaround but one negative of globalization is people like you coming here easily and spouting you racial hatred and criticizing nearly everything about the country. I generally hate saying this but why don't you just go home?

Excellent post and every Thai-basher should note it. Sadly, many of them have hooked up with some woman that a Thai(of equal financial standing) never would have. After a few years, they notice their mistake but it's too late, they've invested most of their life-savings into a pck-up truck and house in the middle of nowhere! They don't have the balls to admit their mistake and take it out on Thais as a whole.

Jut out of interest spidermike, are you married and where do you live?

Yes, I am married, and live in a smaller, provincial town. My wife is amazing. As far as a Thai wanting to be with my woman, that is of no concern to me. She did have several marriage proposals from Thai men, prior to our meeting. Fortunately for me, she likes being with a foreigner, and she turned down each one of the proposals, and that works for me. She is a woman of amazing character, temperament, humor, intelligence, and comes from a wonderful family. Not a rich family, thankfully. But a good family, who are kind, generous, hard working, smart, industrious, were great parents, and are very stable. And I adore them, and both of her siblings. Wonderful people. All of them. I have also had the good fortune of knowing two of her grandparents. And I can see why she is so remarkable. They were (one is now gone) extraordinary people.

Again, as I mentioned in a previous post, I love my life here, and love most Thai people. I think they are remarkable people, and I admire them greatly. There is much to be admired about Thailand, and it's people. The discussion here is strictly limited to the discussion of face, creativity, self esteem, and limited horizons. Sorry to offend.

I think this is a positive trend. It is about the students gaining some sort of identity, and self esteem. From what I hear, the amount of conformity required, and expected here is extreme. And the students are learning very little anyway, as the educational system is broken beyond repair. So, why not a little push back, against authoritarian teachers, who barely know their own curriculum, and a system that is dysfunctional? Is there any real harm in that?

Besides, most Thai people live within very, very small boxes. Perhaps this will enlarge their horizons, and show them what is possible, with the exertion of free will and passion.

Either is unlikely in the Thai education system, it's intended. Haircuts will not do anything at all except perhaps be the thin end of the wedge.

Identity? Nope. Identity as a student comes partially from having a student haircut. A haircut is an arbitrary and ever-changing fashion-based facet of 'identity' anyway. Self-esteem? You're kidding right? Thais already have self-esteem beyond reason, hence the 'face' problem when it collapses.

W

I could not possibly disagree with you, more adamantly with regard to what you said about Thai self esteem. I believe that the thin skin, and the obsession with face, is at least partially the result of a lack of self esteem. If one feels comfortable with one's self, what others think of you becomes far less important. When one is unsure about one's self, the views of others become paramount. Who on earth cares what others think? What does it matter one iota? Those of us who have self esteem, and love of self, care not one bit what others think of us.

I know we could go into detail about face being cultural, etc. But, the reality is, that face is the greatest form of cowardice a human being can engage in. It is an absolute lack of introspection, self awareness, spiritual awakening, self knowledge, and self esteem.

Absolute twaddle!

Thai people, in general, are far more self-aware, spiritually awake and introspective than the average Brit or Yank.

Face is something that you obviously don't understand.

Being self-centered is not the same as being self-aware.

This could be construed in a proper court of justice and in a democracy as an assault on the student by the teacher , no teacher is allowed to touch a student , no student is allowed to touch a teacher , it is also the teacher's responsibility to ensure the student is properly protected , and is also responsible for their well being , that doesn't mean cutting a students hair without that students permission or if a minor the parents permission.................................coffee1.gif .

In my days, the parents of the child had the option to take their child out and enrolled into another school should they disagree to the disciplinary rules of that school.

Democracy cannot step on rules and order.

Your days are long gone old fella , come up to speed and stop living in the slow lane, in this case democracy steps in when the parents take the teacher to court.

This could be construed in a proper court of justice and in a democracy as an assault on the student by the teacher , no teacher is allowed to touch a student , no student is allowed to touch a teacher , it is also the teacher's responsibility to ensure the student is properly protected , and is also responsible for their well being , that doesn't mean cutting a students hair without that students permission or if a minor the parents permission.................................coffee1.gif .

In my days, the parents of the child had the option to take their child out and enrolled into another school should they disagree to the disciplinary rules of that school.

Your days are long gone old fella , come up to speed and stop living in the slow lane, in this case democracy steps in when the parents take the teacher to court.
or the school taking the parents to court for not following the rules.. or do like they do in the UK for absences. Charge a fine!

Either is unlikely in the Thai education system, it's intended. Haircuts will not do anything at all except perhaps be the thin end of the wedge.

Identity? Nope. Identity as a student comes partially from having a student haircut. A haircut is an arbitrary and ever-changing fashion-based facet of 'identity' anyway. Self-esteem? You're kidding right? Thais already have self-esteem beyond reason, hence the 'face' problem when it collapses.

W

I could not possibly disagree with you, more adamantly with regard to what you said about Thai self esteem. I believe that the thin skin, and the obsession with face, is at least partially the result of a lack of self esteem. If one feels comfortable with one's self, what others think of you becomes far less important. When one is unsure about one's self, the views of others become paramount. Who on earth cares what others think? What does it matter one iota? Those of us who have self esteem, and love of self, care not one bit what others think of us.

I know we could go into detail about face being cultural, etc. But, the reality is, that face is the greatest form of cowardice a human being can engage in. It is an absolute lack of introspection, self awareness, spiritual awakening, self knowledge, and self esteem.

Absolute twaddle!

Thai people, in general, are far more self-aware, spiritually awake and introspective than the average Brit or Yank.

Face is something that you obviously don't understand.

Being self-centered is not the same as being self-aware.

My point precisely. Thank you. I do not see alot of self awareness here. That quality requires the ability to look within, question one's self, one's motives, desires, and ambitions. And it requires the ability to take responsibility, own a situation or problem, and create a desirable solution, all the while holding one;s self accountable. And it also necessitates an ability to deal with confrontation, since often others will be having an issue with something we are doing, or a situation we are creating. And in addition to that, it requires a good deal of communication skills. So, you not only have to be able to take criticism, but then be able to introspect, and determine if the very action or quality you are being accused of possessing, or causing, is your own. Then, enough self awareness has to be present, for one to be able to do something to fix the problem. That requires a great deal of maturity, self esteem, and confidence, to be able to behave like a real adult, and deal with something like this.

Now, tell me honestly, do you really see alot of that kind of behavior here?

Spidermonkey, selftaopath and a few others, i don't know where you come from but this is for you.

Please tell me you are not from the USA, where more than 50% of the population are taking prescription drugs, non medically. 13% of the entire country are on anti-depressants alone!

Take a read of the following link and then tell me about Americans being spiritual and self-aware.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/infographics/popping-pills-prescription-drug-abuse-in-america

'chainarong': when I read your '...in this case democracy steps in when the parents...' I thought youwere going to tell about parents taking up their responsibility in the upbringing of their children, bringing them discipline, structure and respect for the essential true values in life, but my days might be long gone too, as for you, the modern man, democracy would mean for the parents to take the teacher to court... When you would be right, I would be quite happy to be an old fella already...

Spidermonkey, selftaopath and a few others, i don't know where you come from but this is for you.

Please tell me you are not from the USA, where more than 50% of the population are taking prescription drugs, non medically. 13% of the entire country are on anti-depressants alone!

Take a read of the following link and then tell me about Americans being spiritual and self-aware.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/infographics/popping-pills-prescription-drug-abuse-in-america

Yes, I am from the US. But, I was not referring to the general population. I was referring to people I know, and people I am close to. I know alot of Americans who are spiritual, and follow a daily practice. For me, being spiritual has little to do with what you say, and who you believe in, and everything to do with how you behave, the ethical path you follow, and the demonstration of that integrity in your daily life. I know many who embody that back in the US. I do know some Thais who are really outstanding people, and live a very ethical life. I was just referring to the self awareness post. I don't see alot of that here. I stand behind that statement. As one of posters said, being self centered, is not the same as being self aware. Being self aware, means you are able to introspect, and find the source of the problem within. I do not see alot of the population taking responsibility for their actions here. Do you?

Yes, I am from the US. But, I was not referring to the general population. I was referring to people I know, and people I am close to. I know alot of Americans who are spiritual, and follow a daily practice. For me, being spiritual has little to do with what you say, and who you believe in, and everything to do with how you behave, the ethical path you follow, and the demonstration of that integrity in your daily life. I know many who embody that back in the US. I do know some Thais who are really outstanding people, and live a very ethical life. I was just referring to the self awareness post. I don't see alot of that here. I stand behind that statement. As one of posters said, being self centered, is not the same as being self aware. Being self aware, means you are able to introspect, and find the source of the problem within. I do not see alot of the population taking responsibility for their actions here. Do you?

I never said self-awareness was the same as being self-centred, and can't recall anyone saying such a thing.

I understand that you weren't referring to the general US population. I know many Thais who follow a daily spiritual practice. I fact, all Thais I know do so. So you have spiritual friends in the US and non-spiritual ones in Thailand. I hope you see that here it is dangerous to confuse a certain group of Thais with the whole population.

To answer your question, I see probably more Thais practicing introspection than I did in America, but I was only there for 6 months.

On the whole, and the reason I decided not to put my children to schools abroad until University, I think that Thai people's mental wellness is much better than the average American, don't you agree?

I never said self-awareness was the same as being self-centred, and can't recall anyone saying such a thing.

I understand that you weren't referring to the general US population. I know many Thais who follow a daily spiritual practice. I fact, all Thais I know do so. So you have spiritual friends in the US and non-spiritual ones in Thailand. I hope you see that here it is dangerous to confuse a certain group of Thais with the whole population.

To answer your question, I see probably more Thais practicing introspection than I did in America, but I was only there for 6 months.

On the whole, and the reason I decided not to put my children to schools abroad until University, I think that Thai people's mental wellness is much better than the average American, don't you agree?

In general, I would have to agree that most Thais have a better state of mind, are more fulfilled, and are far more lighthearted, and enjoy each day, far, far more than the average American. No doubt about that. But, when it comes to introspection, I just do not see what you see. You may know a truly outstanding circle of Thais. I see so many Thais practicing denial. I see so many running from the scene of an accident, refusing to take responsibility for mistakes, causing accidents, causing mayhem, and creating problems. I see alot of students cheating on tests, so they will get a passing grade, instead of working hard, and studying. I see alot of teachers who are not allowed to fail their students, because the loss of face would be too great. That behavior is not a reflection of a society that is doing much, in the way of introspection, in my humble opinion. On so many occasions, when it would be so easy to just say I screwed up, sorry, there is nothing but deflection, and denial. That is what I see. On hundreds of occasions. For me, that is the opposite of introspection. That is the opposite of self awareness. And that is the opposite of spirituality.

As far as the spiritual practice goes, I do not want to get into that, as it may be too offensive. But, I do not define mere habits, and ritual as a spiritual practice. But, that is just me.

I agree with you about generalizing about the whole population. And I hope that in the future I am blessed with meeting some of these extraordinary individuals that you know.

In general, I would have to agree that most Thais have a better state of mind, are more fulfilled, and are far more lighthearted, and enjoy each day, far, far more than the average American. No doubt about that. But, when it comes to introspection, I just do not see what you see. You may know a truly outstanding circle of Thais. I see so many Thais practicing denial. I see so many running from the scene of an accident, refusing to take responsibility for mistakes, causing accidents, causing mayhem, and creating problems. I see alot of students cheating on tests, so they will get a passing grade, instead of working hard, and studying. I see alot of teachers who are not allowed to fail their students, because the loss of face would be too great. That behavior is not a reflection of a society that is doing much, in the way of introspection, in my humble opinion. On so many occasions, when it would be so easy to just say I screwed up, sorry, there is nothing but deflection, and denial. That is what I see. On hundreds of occasions. For me, that is the opposite of introspection. That is the opposite of self awareness. And that is the opposite of spirituality.

As far as the spiritual practice goes, I do not want to get into that, as it may be too offensive. But, I do not define mere habits, and ritual as a spiritual practice. But, that is just me.

I agree with you about generalizing about the whole population. And I hope that in the future I am blessed with meeting some of these extraordinary individuals that you know.

I agree with a lot of what you write. However, teachers not failing their students is not about loss of face. Mostly, it's to do with getting backhanders for fixing the grade.

I am a practicing Buddhist, so glad you did not write anything offensive about that. Perhaps that's the reason I see a different kind of person than you at meditation retreats, for example.

I wonder if you actually see all this stuff or just read about it in the newspaper. How many Thais have you actually seen running from the scene of an accident? I've seen one since 1992 and actually there are valid reasons for doing this. If I judged a country let's use the USA for example again on the news I heard, my thoughts would be that the people are totally messed up. A school shooting every month. The outrageous fact that people are voting for Donald Trump lol etc.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

I agree with a lot of what you write. However, teachers not failing their students is not about loss of face. Mostly, it's to do with getting backhanders for fixing the grade.

I am a practicing Buddhist, so glad you did not write anything offensive about that. Perhaps that's the reason I see a different kind of person than you at meditation retreats, for example.

I wonder if you actually see all this stuff or just read about it in the newspaper. How many Thais have you actually seen running from the scene of an accident? I've seen one since 1992 and actually there are valid reasons for doing this. If I judged a country let's use the USA for example again on the news I heard, my thoughts would be that the people are totally messed up. A school shooting every month. The outrageous fact that people are voting for Donald Trump lol etc.

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I have personally witnessed people running from the scene of an accident, and heard about it first hand on many occasions, from friends who have been in accidents, and the person who caused it fled the scene. I suppose that might happen more in the US, if the penalties were not so stiff. Here, as you know, running from the scene is not considered a big deal, on the part of law enforcement.

When I was living on Samui, I was hanging out in a restaurant, and heard a giant crash outside. I went outside and found my bike and four others had been moved down, by a guy driving a truck. He apparently had tried to speed through a very narrow lane, as another car was approaching. Rather than do the reasonable thing, and slow down to let the car pass, he sped up and tried to fit. He knocked down, and damaged five motorbikes in the process. What did he do? How did he react? He fled the scene. I asked the manager if they knew who he was. She said of course they do. Everybody knows him. So, it made me wonder, if everybody knows him, and he knows that, why on earth would he flee? Within hours the police had found him. I went down to the police station the next day, to meet him, and discuss some sort of way to settle things. He said his insurance company was going to take care of it. Then he pulled me off to the side, and asked me if I could lie about how the accident took place, so he could be sure of collecting on the claim. I told him that there was no way on earth I would do that for him. I also told him he was a half man, a pussy, a wimp, and a very poor example of a man, for fleeing the crime, rather than just manning up, and taking responsibility. I asked him why he fled the scene. He said he panicked, and it just happened. I said did you not realize you were known, and that they would find you? He said he did not even ponder that. He was just scared. The final result was that his insurance company covered the damage to my bike. But, of course there was no penalty for him having fled the scene of the crime. The police acted as if it was normal.

While on Samui, I have a friend who was mowed down by one of the safari jeep company vehicles. The driver never stopped. I have heard of countless accidents where the drivers fled the scene, many times after killing someone, just like with the Red Bull punk. I realize Samui attracts a low life crowd, and it is not representative of the Thai population. And I realize there are countless Thai people of great character, who would never consider behaving in this fashion. I have met many, and I know many.

In regard to Buddhism, I have nothing but respect for the faith, and I see examples of the faith every day, from the way many people behave and conduct themselves. It is a beautiful thing to witness. I was just referring specifically to the ability to introspect, and the degree of self awareness required to do so.

And in regard to the US, I agree that there are alot of messed up people there. A lot of maniacs. A lot of guns, and alot of violence. It is for the most part, a country full of people lacking fulfillment, living in a land with a broken government, broken dreams, and a middle and lower class without much hope. But, there are also some very good people too.

I don't understand statistics very well but saw this on the web.

A Mayo Clinic study finds that nearly 70 percent of Americans are prescribed at least one medication, with antibiotics, antidepressants, and opioids topping the list.

If 70% of Americans are being prescribed drugs and 50% see abusing drugs, how many are not taking any drugs?

I don't understand statistics very well but saw this on the web.

A Mayo Clinic study finds that nearly 70 percent of Americans are prescribed at least one medication, with antibiotics, antidepressants, and opioids topping the list.

If 70% of Americans are being prescribed drugs and 50% see abusing drugs, how many are not taking any drugs?

Indeed, that was kind of my point. Some were saying that Thais were incapable of certain spiritual/mental qualities.

Compared to their own countries, Thai people are surely more capable as they are not all stoned like zombies!