Trying to get rid of these wormlike creatures in my trash

Hal65

These little worm like creatures are only a few millimeters long. Every couple weeks it seems like a new batch of them suddenly comes alive along the rim of my trashcan. A few days later they dry out and are dead.

nT0coYt.jpg

Anyone know what these things are and how to get rid of them?

They look like maggots to me... fly larvae.

Usually found in rotting food or vegetable matter.

Once your trashcan has been emptied, wash it out thoroughly and let it dry.

Ensure all food or vegetable scraps are in a plastic bag before depositing it in the trash.

Maggots for sure.

These usually spring forth from Som Tam.......within 24 hours.

I will probably get locked up for saying this...But.

I can eat any western food all day outside on my balcony and never see a fly or bluebottle.

Get some Isaan style Som Tam out and the place is buzzing like crazy...never ever, ever say this to the indigenous people as they take grave offence and continue to gently waft their hands back and forth amongst the milling throng of the aforementioned insects....and plough the stuff into their maws.

Then deny any sore stomach or diarrhea problems on any of the food they might have eaten.....

Any one else notice this or is it just me ?

Definitely maggots. As others have indicated you need to do a bit of house keeping.

What we do, if you are interested. Small bin beside kitchen sink for daily scraps. Bin has plastic bag inserted. This bag is placed in the curb side bin at least daily, possibly more often.

I have recently purchased a large black plastic tub to use as a bin lid for the curb side bin. Keeps it dry inside & flies & Soi dogs & birds out. The curb side bin gets pressure washed weekly. Locals laugh at it, but we have the sweetest smelling bin in the Soi. Luckily our village gets 2 garbage collections per week.

Hope this helps...... Cheers.

Wifey has a golden rule - no food waste in the trash. No issues with bugs etc.

We do have various creatures which eat pretty well anything, so little nourishment is wasted anyway.