Apartments For Rent In Chang Mai

JimsKnight

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

How about some finger pointing, warnings or insight :D ?

Coming over in late March for 9 months or so and looking for a place to hang the hat. Any insight into the demographics of who your nieghbors are in Lanna 3 or Huay Keaw Residence? Are they brat like uni students or working peeps? Mostly Thai or a mixture of farang/Thai?

Any other gems to speak of between the super highway and moat?

Looking at spending under 10,000 per month. I'd like a 1 bedroom, mostly furnished and internet access if possible. Its always frustrating to think you've done your homework, only to get blindsided by something unexpected 2 weeks into your 6 month lease :o .

Any words of wisdom from the vets on how to pick the proper place? So I'm all ears for any suggested places to take a look at or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by FTB

I know lanna III on the way to CMU on the right hand side is 3 times the size and about 7000 baht per month. I didn't go there because I ended up renting from a friend in Chom Doi, which depending on the room is more worn and torn than HK, has less security but the internet was great and the room was twice the size for the same price.

Lanna III supposedly has a 2-year waiting list for apartments but I walked in the door three days ago and rented a nice one immdeiately. Security gated entrance, large room on the 5th floor, two twin beds and reasonably furnished, hot water both sink and shower, medium-sized fridge, aircon, pool but no workout room that I have seen, free DSL in room along with a direct line phone (1st hr/45B, 1B/min thereafter), free water and trash, elec 5B/unit (whatever that means), lots of drawers and closet space for a single guy, Doi Suthep straight out the huge glass doors leading to the balcony and a full and unimpeded 170-degree view of the mountains, inside parking... 5200 Baht/mo.

A friend has a small kithchenette in her's and pays 5500 Baht/mo.

This is an extra for me - my sanctuary that I have been promising myself for years; a quiet place to write or escape da wife's family when/if they visit, lodging I can supply for friends who visit so they don't have to go the hotel route and, being a pilot in heart and fact, a view of my surroundings that I don't get in Ban Wang Tan where we live our 'real' life.

Speaking of Wang Tan gated community, there are houses for rent in here from 6-10k Baht and it is a very nice area indeed. A large pool, workout stuff, tennis courts, a very good restaurant on a small lake where they host the classical music events, many farangs and quiet/respectful Thais, several exits out of here to put you on the road to whatever direction you are going, DSL services available and, best of all, no traffic noise (but we are not far from the runway two-zero approach path).

Lots to choose from here in CM and if you arrive in the middle to the end of low season, the barganing gets easier...

Good luck.

I know lanna III on the way to CMU on the right hand side is 3 times the size and about 7000 baht per month. I didn't go there because I ended up renting from a friend in Chom Doi, which depending on the room is more worn and torn than HK, has less security but the internet was great and the room was twice the size for the same price.

Speaking of Wang Tan gated community, there are houses for rent in here from 6-10k Baht and it is a very nice area indeed. A large pool, workout stuff, tennis courts, a very good restaurant on a small lake where they host the classical music events, many farangs and quiet/respectful Thais, several exits out of here to put you on the road to whatever direction you are going, DSL services available and, best of all, no traffic noise (but we are not far from the runway two-zero approach path).

Good luck.

I am looking for a cheaper hous in CM, as I pay now much to much... Can you give me the direction for the Wang Tan Moo Baan, I would like to check this out.

Thanks

I am looking for a cheaper hous in CM, as I pay now much to much... Can you give me the direction for the Wang Tan Moo Baan, I would like to check this out.

Thanks

Go south on Hangdong Road from the Airport Plaza intersection past Lotus to the new traffic lights with countdown timers. Continue south for about half a Km, watch for a 7-11 on the left and take the very next left turn under the huge Johnny Walker sign; be careful, it comes up quickly..

You will go thru a little market area then shortly come to a T-intersection where you will turn left again. After the little zig-zag/bridge you will come to a Y in the road and bear right. You will immediately see and go thru a guard gate then just head straighh on til you see the big restaurant on the right. Plenty of parking and the village office is upstairs next to the pool. They will know of most rentals available but you can also just drive around and look for signs on the gates - it would help if you have a Thai-speaking person with you as most rental signs are not in English. Lots of farangs in here and everyone seems to really like it. The center of town is only about 25 minutes away and the river road is readily available to sneak into town and avoid the traffic...

Thanks

Go south on Hangdong Road from the Airport Plaza intersection past Lotus to the new traffic lights with countdown timers. Continue south for about half a Km, watch for a 7-11 on the left and take the very next left turn under the huge Johnny Walker sign; be careful, it comes up quickly..

You will go thru a little market area then shortly come to a T-intersection where you will turn left again. After the little zig-zag/bridge you will come to a Y in the road and bear right. You will immediately see and go thru a guard gate then just head straighh on til you see the big restaurant on the right. Plenty of parking and the village office is upstairs next to the pool. They will know of most rentals available but you can also just drive around and look for signs on the gates - it would help if you have a Thai-speaking person with you as most rental signs are not in English. Lots of farangs in here and everyone seems to really like it. The center of town is only about 25 minutes away and the river road is readily available to sneak into town and avoid the traffic...

Thank you, I will have a look there tomorrow.

I am guessing this is www.huaykeawresidence.com

I stayed there for 4 months.

TINY apartment, rock hard mattress, unbearable internet, and a likely chance of of riding the elevated with some gelee with a mouthful of, well you get the picture and YES this is a true story, along with the drunk 50 year old thai lady stripping for me and asking me if I thought "mama" looked fat...

The furniture is decent, the shower is good, the TV is ok too, the security is nice, but if you lock yourself out past 6pm you are spending the night elsewhere. Lucky for me I crashed at a friend's dorm at CMU, though I had to go to work wearing the same clothes the next day since they don't open til 9am...

With the aircon set at 24-26 and off from 6:30am to 3:30pm, long showers, and a laptop in constant use I ended up seeing about 5,500B per month while I was there. They were really nice to me when i left and I didn't get my room scanned with a white glove. I can't talk about the pool or fitness since I left prior, but there is a cute pair of sisters whose parents own the laundry store there. Amost went somewhere till something seemed a miss and got a Thai friend involved who gave me the prompt advice of "run far away" :o

Ok that's it for my novel...

I stayed there too twice.

I got my room scanned the 2nd time I left ... Thanks to some digital pictures I took they did not charge me for anything, but they were going to. Be careful when --initially-- they tell you that this or that does not matter. They overcharged me for 2 phone calls (40 Baths VS 10 baths) ... not huge, but it could add up.

The head guard is a 2-faced Thai guy whom I tried to befriend and he took advantage. Careful, his older sister runs the grocery store and she seems in cahoots with some of the office guys/girls. Basically, they all protect each other.

The corner restaurant is run by a weird guy who does not appear to smile or appreciate customers. His GF is a 2-faced woman, in my experience.

The side cafe's food is ok and priced right, but the ones who run have left their smiles at home (but then at least they are not the fake-smiles type).

The laundry room is useful. The internet is erratic, but not bad.

The pool is expensive. Go to 700 y. stadium > 50 m. for 20 baths with a membership.

For the 2 great minds above ...

Mamma mia, reading some stuff, I guess I'm living on the moon.

Besides two faced people and all that trash (man get a life and leave people alone) , who in his right mind spends his nights in the court yard of a condo?

What the hel_l did you expect, champagne and tuxedos?

Yah 40 baht for the pool is way too much expecially because it's always empty and I don't have to fight with 2000 kids for a swim or take the car and fight with 2000000 bastards to get to the freaking stadium.

Adsl is really a pain sometimes, but lately (1 week) it's seems they changed something ( iknow 'caues I had a chat with the internet guy...no he is no 2 faced ...) and it's much better ( I'm actually downloading at 45 kb lately), crossing fingers.

Man they overcharged you 2 calls , wow 30 baht and 2 times, let me think that is ...oh yeah about .60 euro cents, man surely a dent in your account....

<deleted>, things you'll tell to your grandsons one day... :o

edit:

I almost forgot, last year , one of the girls at the office found out my bill for the electricity was a bit too high, so she sent a guy to read again and indeed there was a mistake and she gave me back 300 baht. yeah watch your back..they gonna get you..shhishh

Edited by KhunMarco

For the 2 great minds above ...

Mamma mia, reading some stuff, I guess I'm living on the moon.

Besides two faced people and all that trash (man get a life and leave people alone) , who in his right mind spends his nights in the court yard of a condo?

What the hel_l did you expect, champagne and tuxedos?

Yah 40 baht for the pool is way too much expecially because it's always empty and I don't have to fight with 2000 kids for a swim or take the car and fight with 2000000 bastards to get to the freaking stadium.

Adsl is really a pain sometimes, but lately (1 week) it's seems they changed something ( iknow 'caues I had a chat with the internet guy...no he is no 2 faced ...) and it's much better ( I'm actually downloading at 45 kb lately), crossing fingers.

Man they overcharged you 2 calls , wow 30 baht and 2 times, let me think that is ...oh yeah about .60 euro cents, man surely a dent in your account....

<deleted>, things you'll tell to your grandsons one day... :o

edit:

I almost forgot, last year , one of the girls at the office found out my bill for the electricity was a bit too high, so she sent a guy to read again and indeed there was a mistake and she gave me back 300 baht. yeah watch your back..they gonna get you..shhishh

Khunmarco

I am really confused and stupefied by your attitude. You do make a few valid points, but I am sad that you would feel the need to belittle my comments. What really irks me though is that ... you are criticizing me for criticizing!

Now, you are right! On the surface, the items mentioned are petty, but if 20,000 people experience this or that, then it is not anymore, is it? Beside, it is possible that it could get worse. Beside, the employees could be lining their pockets. That money could be small change for us, but it (if repeated) could mean a lot at the end of the month for the Thais. After all, there was a change of employees at HK res. I had absolutely no issues last year and I related this (on a different thread).

Also, I believe that what I view as unethical and/or disfunctional behaviour need(s) to be highlighted, if not it/they'll continue(s) to take place. I think it is important for non-informed people to know if they are going to be taken advantage of. Sure! The pool is empty, which makes the entrance price much more palatable, but it is also true that people might enjoy the 50 m. size pool at 700 k stadium. I have always seen the parking lot empty and the pool too.

So, I wonder why are you defending what appears to be disfunctional people or unethical actions? This is very strange behaviour. Do you defend criminals for a living? And, I could have done without the sarcasm,... which is disfunctional, BTW.

BTW, I never said that all of the people there were two-faced. I only mentioned a few people. Remember: a Thai smile does not necessarily means "I am happy!" Expats who have been here for a while know this, I think, but I grant you that it could be hard to understand this if one is a newcomer or unaware.

I have included a picture of the 50 m. pool taken in the afternoon ... but on a week day, mind you.

post-32020-1172030925_thumb.jpg

Edited by MyPenRye

C'mon admit it , your post was a bit too much.

In the end they stolen 60 baht , or maybe it was a mistake ? Like I said, they gave me back the money for a wrong reading, what better chance to grab some money from me?

Ok and I admit I was a bit harsh on you, I really didn't like your comments on the lady and his brother, and the girls in the office.., I never had a problem with them.

Well about the pool, allow me to rest my case, I like to take a swim 3-4 time a week and there's no comparison with the comfort of being 4 floors from the pool. No need to change your clothes, no need to take the car, going through the terrible traffic etc.

About the Thai smiling, if you have been here long enough you should know there's a bit of a legend around the fake smile, it's not the rule. It's just that we are more explicit, instead the Thai smiles and thinks " what a prick!".

Anyway, don't take it personally eh, I was writing that post with a grin on my face, I like to rise my voice sometimes, and it's easier to get carried away on the net .... still friends ? :o

~

IMHO you guys are going far afield from the original intent of this thread.

If you have personality clash issues, how about going the PM route? The rest of us who are seeking information will appreciate it and it is likely we all know that mistakes and the occasional "rip-off" are possible anywhere.

Thanks.

Good point. ^

I would like Marco to remove his reply and I will remove mine.

The fact that you have never had any problems with the people mentioned is important just like my comment about these people.

You have to know that I wanted to take the brother of the lady owner of the store (older woman) and she decided to come with us (or he brought her along) and brought another lady and a kid. I was at the beginning of my trip and they showed me the bill. SInce they were driving, I had to pay, if not they could have made me walk! The 500 baths were not too high for me, of course, but for them it was a big deal. So, I don't trust the guard and the sister. And the guy who is in the office are good friends with them. In fact, I think they all hire their friends,... Put yourself in my shoes. I extent an arm to them and they screw me.

You have to admit that this is really bad. I have never had this happened to me in my life. For people who shouts and screams that they don't want to lose face, it is paradoxical that they would have no problem whatsoever to make other lose face.

Edited by MyPenRye

Is never nice to bad mouth anyone especially when there don't know you are talking bad about them . ( THat what i call SERIOUSLY TWO FACE whahah maybe THREE FACE OR FOUR FACE > )

Wahahahhahahah - what a joke . reading some of the post .

Is never nice to bad mouth anyone especially when there don't know you are talking bad about them . ( THat what i call SERIOUSLY TWO FACE whahah maybe THREE FACE OR FOUR FACE > )

Wahahahhahahah - what a joke . reading some of the post .

As if these guys did not badmouth me amongst themselves. You cannot be that gullible!

Please! Spare me the nonsense and the lesson of morality! Methink the guard does not have any. The gloves are off because he did not use any!

Your sense of morality --as your logic-- has/have always baffled me, but this tops that.

In our culture we value ethics and manners. Maybe you don't! Maybe in your culture, it does not matter! It is whoever has the biggest gun that matters. It is whoever uses a situation to its advantage even though someone extends his hand and a friendship, makes himself vulnerable. So, let me enlighten you on the way we deal with things in Western cultures. Since not all citizens have good morals or ethics, most stable citizens try to sanction their behaviour in whatever legal means possible so that they might think twice about doing it again. Considering he (and his sister and friend) did not steal (technically speaking) anything from me, there is little I can do legally. In this case, considering the guard had the upper hand --and probably used it to get as much as he could-- it is only fitting that I use this way to get back at him. Ditto for the restaurant and the shop owners who acted disfunctionally. I would not write this or do this had they acted without any reproach. There are consequences to all actions and negative consequences to negative behaviour.

Now, I know in Thai culture, because he made me lose face, I should stab the guard (they do that all the time apparently). Considering what they would do and what I am doing, I would describe my behaviour moderate ... My PHET. :o

Edited by MyPenRye