Self-driving a songthaew

MarcelV

Earlier this year I was with a group of four (me, a friend and our two Thai GFs) on the island of Koh Si Chang. I remember the ladies negotiating with a songthaew driver for transportation around the island and wishing we could rent a songthaew and drive it around the island at our leisure. Of course we didn't do that and took a 500 baht (total) tour, with the driver dropping us off somewhere and driving off until our phone call came to get picked again. Cheap and convenient.

But hypothetically, CAN one actually rent a songthaew for a self-drive as a tourist?

I have never seen it done, at least by anyone who was obviously a foreigner. There is the insurance issue. I think you, the songthaew driver, and its owner would all be in trouble if you were ever involved in an accident.

I have never seen it done, at least by anyone who was obviously a foreigner. There is the insurance issue. I think you, the songthaew driver, and its owner would all be in trouble if you were ever involved in an accident.

or you can just rent the songtaew driver for the day which is what I did in koh samui ...I actually negotiated with the taxi driver for 1000 baht for a day couple years ago. I'm sure you could do the same with a songtaew driver

You can rent a car in Thailand. A Songthaew is a car. No idea if it has a special registration that restricts its driver to be a licensed songthaew driver. I would prefer a car with airco or a minivan for a bigger group. That is much more comfortable.

Of course if you stop and some one gets in while giving you 10 baht you are working illegally. :)

You can rent a car in Thailand. A Songthaew is a car. No idea if it has a special registration that restricts its driver to be a licensed songthaew driver. I would prefer a car with airco or a minivan for a bigger group. That is much more comfortable.

Of course if you stop and some one gets in while giving you 10 baht you are working illegally. smile.png

True. Although the answer to the OP's question is easy to answer.

If the Songthaew has yellow public transport plates, it's off limits for him to drive.

Any vehicle with white plates (private) is fine.

A rental vehicle will have white plates. New vehicles have red plates, which are OK too but even a brand new rental vehicle is unlikely to be allowed to be rented out, before it has permanent white plates. So the red plates are only for actual private vehicles that you have purchased.

So there you go.

In a word: No. Not very practical either, 2 of you sitting inside and 2 out. A rented car or pick-up (yes you can rent them) would be more practical, but of course you won't get one for 500bht a day inc. fuel. More like 1500 - 2000 + fuel on top. You had a very good deal there.