Vilerm Acyclovir 200mg

BangPaInn

Hi All,

I require a new packet of Vilerm 200mg

Is this available over the counter in Thailand? or do I need to get the script re-filled from a Doctor?

Thanks!

Edited by BangPaInn

Acyclovir is sold like candy at boots, watson and every pharmacy.

However, Valtrex is much better.

Valacyclovir ist the name of Valtrex's active ingredient. It does not work better than acyclovir, but is more convenient to use because it stays much longer in the bloodstream, so that only one tablet a day is enough.

Valacyclovir comes at a big premium over acyclovir, costs 5 times as much if I remember well.

For suppressive therapy, 400mg acyclovir in the morning and evening.

Yup, acyclovir is readily available and stunningly cheap... and if you/patient is used to that drug/dosage there is no point whatsoever in paying (quite a bit) more for a newer 'flashier' alternative (as acyclovir works so well).

I regularly buy it before my occasional returns to the uk - have a niece who gets occasional severe cold sore attacks. Despite her being able to tell when an attack is coming, being in the UK she cannot just go and get a dose of acyclovir to prevent it... oh, no. Waste a doctor's time and hers to get the prescription to then go and get the drug by which time it also too late to prevent the attack.

If you''re in a similar situation, stock up before you leave Thailand,

• 2 weeks later...