Disabled Brit fears for his life in Thai jail

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't he return the Suitcase to the Airport,,,,What happened to the Diamonds,,,,Not enough Detail,,,He maybe an Disabled person But that does not let him off until they find the Diamonds If there is Any documentation that there Were Any Diamonds and shipping Documents,,,,,

His Lawyer should be trying to get him in Protective Custody,, For now.

If he returned the suit case the authorities would have found the diamonds, and he still would have been charged for stealing them.

As the diamonds would not be in that suit case by the time it was returned to the owner.

My experience has shown that In Thailand if you have a disability,no one will take pity on you however they will find your disability amusing and they will take advantage of you.

Steven Moody, will be getting bashed and raped ten times per day, and the authorities won't lift a finger to help him.

That's Thailand.

Pratet Maleang Saab,

I doubt it. Every report I read of farang in Thai jail is they pretty much left alone

Thanks for this advice mcfish. Yes; what you write is exactly what happened to a Finnish acquaintance of mine last year.

While detained in Chonburi jail, my acquaintance was taken care very well by some of the detainees who apparently had some form of seniority among the other detainees. While it was a stressful experience for my acquaintance, he was clearly moved by the kindness he received from many Thai detainees.

I guess if you come as a Farang and insist to get a better treatment then the Thai's you will probably be the loser in the jail but if you don't be an <deleted> (which many Farangs are - in my exerience) it can make your life there much easier.

Insurance scam on the part of the other suitcase owner.

Slipped police a few baht, so they do not care about justice.

He was stupid to throw away the suitcase, his so called girlfriend was acting stupid allowing him to do that.

Return it wai a couple of times, matter closed.

He has no reason to be scared in a Thai jail, as a farang other prisoners will take care of him.

I have been traveling internationally for over 50! years and have never picked up the wrong suitcase .Either he was scamed or was very stupid.

Where did he actually pick up the suitcase? If it was at the collection point in the airport, who in their right mind would leave £20000 worth of diamonds in a suitcase rather then carry them as hand luggage on the plane? And if the case was hand luggage containing £20000 of gems the owner would never had let the case out of his or her sight. And what about customs, I doubt they would let £20000 of diamonds though without duties to be paid, otherwise that would be diamond smuggling.

The man lives in Thailand married to a Thai woman. He doesn`t look 50 and too young to be on retirement receiving a pension income, he is severely disabled according to his mother, so how is he supporting himself in Thailand? Where`s his money coming from? No much of this makes any sense.

Something fishy here.

I was on an air Asia flight yesterday, and the tannoy announced that any valuables of over 10,000b must be declared (as well as cash and other things) at Thai customs.

Re. prison: He won't get raped every day, but it won't be long. There are 30-35 guys in a room. As in all prisons, there are Daddies who take or force a younger guy to be a "wife". The younger guy will then get protected and get other benefits. Unfortunately, HIV is pretty rife as well.

Eddy

This whole story is not right. Who in their right mind would put diamonds into their checked baggage? I know, someone who is either laundering money or wanting to avoid being caught with them, so they don't have to declare them on entry. Insurance scam, I would make the "owner" of the diamonds supply proof that the diamonds were there in the first place?

Check out the "owner" of the diamonds more thoroughly. Something very fishy going on here.

Insurance scam on the part of the other suitcase owner.

Slipped police a few baht, so they do not care about justice.

He was stupid to throw away the suitcase, his so called girlfriend was acting stupid allowing him to do that.

Return it wai a couple of times, matter closed.

He has no reason to be scared in a Thai jail, as a farang other prisoners will take care of him.

I have been traveling internationally for over 50! years and have never picked up the wrong suitcase .Either he was scamed or was very stupid.

Or maybe he had reduced brain function and blurred vision...

Where did he actually pick up the suitcase? If it was at the collection point in the airport, who in their right mind would leave £20000 worth of diamonds in a suitcase rather then carry them as hand luggage on the plane? And if the case was hand luggage containing £20000 of gems the owner would never had let the case out of his or her sight. And what about customs, I doubt they would let £20000 of diamonds though without duties to be paid, otherwise that would be diamond smuggling.

The man lives in Thailand married to a Thai woman. He doesn`t look 50 and too young to be on retirement receiving a pension income, he is severely disabled according to his mother, so how is he supporting himself in Thailand? Where`s his money coming from? No much of this makes any sense.

Of course there were no diamonds. But if there were, and they had gone missing, why would the owner have to declare them?

I have to say I'm a little surprised by some of these posts. Didn't any body read he had mental problems and was going through depression?

"Why would he throw away the bag?" ......because he has some mental issues which may cause him make poor decisions! Because depression can cause you to make bad decisions! Depression can be very devastating to some. I didn't think it would be that hard to figure out????????

"Why would his mother let him marry a Thai?" "Why would she let him go to Thailand?" Well from the picture he look like he isn't a kid any more. She maybe thinking it would help with his depression. She may think she isn't going to be around for ever and his new Bride could be a good companion for him. I don't need to hear all the negatives about Thai ladies, I know what that implies. In the end he is human and we all need companionship.

I wish him the best and we can only dream that the British embassy will do something to help. Also remember social media can have a powerful impact.

I think we are all in agreement that is not unusual to pick up the wrong bag.

As stated he has mental problems.

I think the poster who stated the why throw the bag away? Now that's the big question.

You've done nothing wrong except pick up the wrong bag so just contact the airline and take the bag back and collect your bag.

So the wife or family must be involved if he's at their home 3 hours away.

Put yourself in the situation. You discover the wrong bag at your families home and you say lets just throw away and don't even bother collecting my bag with all my personal property and then not even getting one single protest from any member of the family.

Far as I can see him or his wife and family have caused all this.

Anyone ever consider that the accuser might be right?

People pack all sorts of expensive items in their bags on airlines and we just scratch our heads when we read about it. So it's not completely out of the question.

By the way has the wife spoken out about this so called injustice or is it just mum?

Edited by The stuttering parrot

...he was obviously set up.....

...and there are obviously no basic human rights for foreigners here....

...and the embassies and governments are obviously doing nothing about it....

If he was, why didn't his mum say so?

The Brit, according to his mother, did take the suitcase.. By accident, or whatever..

So, I think you can come up with a better theory..

Like, he was a drug mule and didn't know it.

So, he got scared, and tossed the suite case, after seeing it was full of drugs..

This whole story is not right. Who in their right mind would put diamonds into their checked baggage? I know, someone who is either laundering money or wanting to avoid being caught with them, so they don't have to declare them on entry. Insurance scam, I would make the "owner" of the diamonds supply proof that the diamonds were there in the first place?

Check out the "owner" of the diamonds more thoroughly. Something very fishy going on here.

I've got a studded diamond suitcase, does that count?

I do not understand the comment he is the only British man there .Statistics indicate there are more British passport holders in Thailand prisons than any other nationality.However i would point out that not every British passport holder has an automatic right of entry into the UK .

I have to say I'm a little surprised by some of these posts. Didn't any body read he had mental problems and was going through depression?

"Why would he throw away the bag?" ......because he has some mental issues which may cause him make poor decisions! Because depression can cause you to make bad decisions! Depression can be very devastating to some. I didn't think it would be that hard to figure out????????

"Why would his mother let him marry a Thai?" "Why would she let him go to Thailand?" Well from the picture he look like he isn't a kid any more. She maybe thinking it would help with his depression. She may think she isn't going to be around for ever and his new Bride could be a good companion for him. I don't need to hear all the negatives about Thai ladies, I know what that implies. In the end he is human and we all need companionship.

I wish him the best and we can only dream that the British embassy will do something to help. Also remember social media can have a powerful impact.

So.... What's your point?

People with known and sever mental issues, that may cause you to make bad decisions?

Sounds like problems, to not travel or get married..

Especially to Thailand, where it seems people with mental issues go, to commit suicide..

Pure BS...only a mother would believe

this story...." if you can't do the time...

don't do the crime!!!

And what was the crime?

Ahhh...

My guess...

Took something, that was not his..

And didn't return it..

What's that called?

"When he realised his mistake he panicked and threw it away"

why would you panic? just take it back to the airport

i agree but throwing it looks bad . check thai wife maybe scam team just take it back get yours , there is more here

"I believe he picked up the wrong one"

Not me...

Not me.. what?

Why would you intentionally pick up the wrong suitcase unless of course you were privy in knowing it supposedly contained diamonds - something way wrong here - unless he was "asked" to pickup a certain case from the conveyor and now the wheels have fallen-off the scam.