Purchasing laptop, smartphone, etc --in Hong Kong or Taiwan?

Sotoho81

I recently had a layover at the airport in Taipei and browsed some of the "Duty Free" electronics shops. Prices, even for Asus which is Taiwanese seemed slightly higher than Thailand. I couldn't tell if the laptops on sale there included Windows or not.

get branded items in Hong Kong, far better choices better price than those in Thailand. avoid some very local small shops, you pay premium and you get junk.

get Taiwanese brands and computer accessories in Taiwan, their CCC shops are huge and choices almost unlimited ! yet some products won't come with English manual.

Hong Kong is a boutique shopping, Taiwan is value for money !

Prices are about the same nowadays, could be 1000 baht or so difference plus currency exchange. They normally give more freebies in Taiwan, things such as screen protection, laptop bag, keyboard protector, wireless mouse, thumb drive to name few. For Taiwanese brands such as Acer and Asus, I also notice sometimes they upgrade the ram for free (but that was 5 years ago when I bought a new laptop). If you do buy, head to Guanghua Mall (its like the pantip / fortune city of bangkok).

Prices are not the same!Hong Kong is shoppers paradise.Forget about Taiwan But you need some idea - where to buy.

And you need some idea - what you want.

Except Fortress I recommend Broadway.Location is also important.The best and convenient is MongKok,so called GadgetStreet,parallel to LadiesMarket.

Nearby is MongkokComputerCenter which is full of small shops.On GadgetStr. you will find collection of chain outlets,open till midnight.

Do not buy in WanchaiCompCenter - popular among foreign tourists - 20-30% more expensive.

Electronic shops along NathanRd in TST are infamous,better do not enter(so called GoldenMile).

If you are going to buy an Acer or Asus, Taiwan would be a good place to look. If memory serve, the prices are about the same. If you want get your Acer repaired, a swing through Taiwan is the best. Have extended the life of many computers in Taiwan for pennies, doing repairs that are not available anywhere else in Asia, including Hong Kong.