Good Vet

NigelKennedy

Thonglor animal hospital neutered my expensive little dog. Two professors of vetinary surgery did an excellent job. Would have cost me $700 dollars in the u.s. $200 dollars.

Right, fly the cat to BKK for a pseudo professor at Thonglor. 555

Thonglor animal hospital neutered my expensive little dog. Two professors of vetinary surgery did an excellent job. Would have cost me $700 dollars in the u.s. $200 dollars.

There's a branch in Chiang Mai now, but I agree you don't need to pay their prices.

There's a branch in Chiang Mai now, but I agree you don't need to pay their prices.

hmmmm..... i used to take my animals to one of the top veterinary groups in Los Angeles - and US $700 for neutering a dog??? unheard of.

no need to pay silly money in LOS either. Small Animal Hospital (CMU) about 2500-3000 Baht to neuter a male cat. very fine group of professionals.

Edited by Oscar2

Two professors for a routine neutering, did they have a team working with them too?

Ban Mh Ka Meaw Animal Hospital on Mahidol Rd. I like Dr. Orn-Usa or Dr. Chakkrit. Both have more than a dozen years of experience and studied in the states.

To my knowlegde neutering a cat should be between 600 and 900 baht.

It's a routine operation which any vet should be able to do properly.

Spaying a cat is more than neutering and is a little over 1,000 B.

Haven't had a cat S/N for ages, but had a 19 kilo dog spayed 2 months ago at about 3k baht. (for comparison)

The nice thing about the Small Animal Hospital is (IMH0) is that after several of their students flew out to study abroad, they came back and brought their knowledge and expertise with them. And you can notice that.

There are many good to very good vets in Chiang Mai, many with extensive practical experience, but they are all general practitioners. A handful may have done a Masters in only 1 subject.

Downside of the SAH is that you always have to wait at least an hour. I often loose a whole morning. :(

Haven't had a cat S/N for ages, but had a 19 kilo dog spayed 2 months ago at about 3k baht. (for comparison)

The nice thing about the Small Animal Hospital is (IMH0) is that after several of their students flew out to study abroad, they came back and brought their knowledge and expertise with them. And you can notice that.

There are many good to very good vets in Chiang Mai, many with extensive practical experience, but they are all general practitioners. A handful may have done a Masters in only 1 subject.

Downside of the SAH is that you always have to wait at least an hour. I often loose a whole morning. sad.png

maybe you haven't checked prices for a while? we took a male cat to SAH for neutering about 6 months ago and were quoted 2500 - possibly a little more. we decided to double-check as we thought we had paid 2500 for a female cat at Baan ka Maew. when we called we were quoted the same for the male at SAH. they said 2500 for a female cat was "a price from many years ago".sad.png when we checked with a vet in Sansai - also male=2500. we like SAH so we went there. final bill was 2690. they give you an itemized list attached to the receipt of all the medicines used for the anesthesia, how much gas, oxygen, how many cm of plastic tubing, gauze, cotton, syringes, etc., etc. - everything itemized and charged for.

Downside of the SAH is that you always have to wait at least an hour. I often loose a whole morning. sad.png

maybe you haven't checked prices for a while? we took a male cat to SAH for neutering about 6 months ago and were quoted 2500 - possibly a little more. we decided to double-check as we thought we had paid 2500 for a female cat at Baan ka Maew. when we called we were quoted the same for the male at SAH. they said 2500 for a female cat was "a price from many years ago".sad.png when we checked with a vet in Sansai - also male=2500. we like SAH so we went there. final bill was 2690. they give you an itemized list attached to the receipt of all the medicines used for the anesthesia, how much gas, oxygen, how many cm of plastic tubing, gauze, cotton, syringes, etc., etc. - everything itemized and charged for.

Maybe prices have changed in town. The vet in Doi Saket (Dr. Goy, lovely vet) asks 600 baht for the neutering with medicines. I just double-checked because, indeed, it has been a while since I had a cat neutered. :)