Sandwash

hackjam

can you please give some more info as to what 'sandwash' means?

a lot of us speak 'english' but it originates in different countries.

to me 'sandwash' means an area where you would be washing sand..., or something.

edit: spelling errors

Edited by manfredtillmann

can you please give some more info as to what 'sandwash' means?

a lot of us speak 'english' but it originates in different countries.

to me 'sandwash' means an area where you would be washing sand..., or something.

edit: spelling errors

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=sandwash+images&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ4tOx4NLNAhWKrI8KHbjwAaIQ7AkINg&biw=1366&bih=635

I have several areas of sandwash around my home. Procedure seems to be that small pebbles are mixed or pressed into a layer of wet concrete then an acid is used to 'clean' the area and expose the pebbles.

There is a choice of colour and size of the pebbles.

Edit to reply to the original question: I guess that re-sandwashing a small area would be very difficult as you would need to match the colour and size of the pebbles as well as the colour of the concrete base.

Edited by chickenslegs

Yes, this sounds like what I am after, also sounds like needs professionals, was hoping I could buy it ready mixed & paint it on.

Guess I could drive around some ne estates in the hope of seeing someone laying it, seems popular with car driveways here in Thailand.

Sand wash is also known as Exposed Agregate & the way they do it here is appalling

they first lay concrete then put a thin layer (maybe 15 - 20 mm of E/A on top)

& yes your best bet would be to go around the new Moo Baans & slip them a few bht

Yes, this sounds like what I am after, also sounds like needs professionals, was hoping I could buy it ready mixed & paint it on.

Guess I could drive around some ne estates in the hope of seeing someone laying it, seems popular with car driveways here in Thailand.

..make sure they add an anti fungal to the mix...or else your beautiful pebble/sand wash will be black and shitty in a few months time.

I had sandwash driveway in my previous house, applied by local contractor who built that house and many others in the moo baan. Looked very good but after a year or so started peeling off large sections, somewhat like a blister on your foot. Clearly a bonding problem but have seen many others with same problem, and avoided using this at my current house.

Sounds too complicated, is there anything similar I can use on existing sandwash, just to brighten it a little?

Or would varnish do the trick?

I may end up just fitting some decking to cover it.

got it now. 'exposed aggregate' is usually a very strong concrete as it uses 'round' ballast, thereby not creating stress points within.

i have seen that here in thailand it is applied as a 25 - 30mm veneer, a thin layer on top of standard gray concrete without bonding agent.

'they' have last year re - done the fore shore here and the stuff is cracking and lifting already.

if you do like the looks of it (it does grow mold and moss very quickly in shady areas), make your concreter apply a 50mm thick layer on a prepared and slightly moist base. apply a latex bonding agent the day before. have expansion joints at regular intervals, i know, you wrote 'small area', but if you can divide it into sections it will last longer.

if you are thinking of doing it yourself and this is your first eg job, DON'T!

just blowing the slurry off is an art form similar to painting the mona lisa. (no, i can't do it but have tried).

Sounds too complicated, is there anything similar I can use on existing sandwash, just to brighten it a little?

Or would varnish do the trick?

I may end up just fitting some decking to cover it.

can you post a photo, please? is it cracking or just dirty?

you can apply a sealer after cleaning it to make it look good again.