• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have a no alcohol WEEK....We

Could watch the Pattaya drunks go

Into DT's...The roads would be much

Safer that week!!!

You've obviously never driven with DTs. It more dangerous than driving drunk!

"...Thailand has to appoint the authorities in all the regions to control the rate of buying and selling alcohol drinking..."

attachicon.gifbig_brother.jpg

Any Thai will tell you that the word "THAI" means "FREE", ergo "Thailand" means "Land of the Free" - and most Thais, and foreign visitors too, would drink to that interpretation!

However, the sobering reality (in yet another abstinent example to the contrary), "...this year after order from Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha...", is that they may need to abstemiously reassess their identity.

No, many Thais will say Thai means "people".

Pad Thai, for example was created in 1938 ish by Plaek Piboonsongkram to get rid of the Chinese influence. He also introduce the playing of the national Anthem. Pad Thai was created as the food of the people. Thai means people and was actually used in some parts of Thailand instead of the word "khon".

They are gong in the right direction, I remember when Chang beer was much stronger than it is today (over 8% if I remember correctly although they didn't put the exact volume on the label as it differed)and also Singha reduced it's alcohol content.

So, the bars will be closed and you will not be able to buy alcohol from supermarkets or convenient stores on 15th, 19th and the 20th of this month. I hope all the tourists here during this period from a week on Friday to the following Wednesday decide to go elsewhere for a holiday.

Another case of how to shoot yourself in the foot Thailand.

burp.gifsorry.gif1zgarz5.gifdrunk.gif

Prayuth doesn't drink because he's muslim. So banning alcohol for one day won't affect him.

So it will affect you then can't go a day without a drop of booze then.
Booze the evil drug invented by Egyptians thousands of years ago. I can go without but wish not to be told when I can and can't. Civil freedoms are at stake here not just a no booze day. Why should the people of Thailand stop drinking just because one man makes up out of nowhere an anti booze day. That's what peeves me. Thailand ruled by the whim of a general.

They are gong in the right direction, I remember when Chang beer was much stronger than it is today (over 8% if I remember correctly although they didn't put the exact volume on the label as it differed)and also Singha reduced it's alcohol content.

Chang was Carlsberg Special Brew (8+%) marketed as just Carlsberg until they didn't renew the license and Chang took over.

Singha only became more consistent (it varied from about 4.5 to 7.5% vol) when they decided to market it overseas due to the Thai market being opened up.

sick.gif

Now what? It's not like there are not enough silly rules already.

They should get rid of all the silly ethanol rules (e.g. purchase restriction based on time-of-day) and only implement a few rules that make sense.

There's also not much point in marking a few particular days of the year as "no alcohol" days when on all other days any insane person with violent and aggressive tendencies can purchase as much ethanol beverages as he wishes and then act out on those violent tendencies.

I propose a restriction on ethanol consumption based on a person's sanity that applies 100% of the time. Nobody who is mentally unwell (especially those with violent and aggressive tendencies) should be allowed to consume ethanol. Such a strategy could be implemented by forcing those who wish to consume ethanol to undergo psychological test(s) and then a license provided to those who pass it. Who would be against such a strategy? Only the mentally unwell I think. If I was mentally unwell I'd voluntarily avoid ethanol consumption for the sake of the safety of others around me and to prevent arrest and imprisonment in the case that I do something stupid whilst "under the influence". But I'm aware that not everyone has such willpower, so a restriction based on mental wellbeing would not be a bad idea.

A psychological test for buying a beer?

Why not? Do you think you would fail it?

Wouldn't you feel safer if you know that people who have been deemed to be insane are not allowed to buy and consume ethanol beverages?

If most people are against such an idea because they are worried that they may end up failing such a test, then how about just forbid the most extreme cases? e.g. only those who are extremely likely to cause trouble to others if they consume ethanol should be forbidden to buy and consume it. Even that is still better than what we have now - any extremely insane person can buy and consume a drug that can cause great harm to others.

I also think that cannabis and MDMA should be legalized so that people have safer and more enjoyable recreational drug options. Ethanol has an extremely poor enjoyment-to-harm ratio, but it's the only strongly mind-altering drug that is legal, easily available, and generally socially accepted despite the great harm that it causes. It would make much more sense if cannabis and MDMA had greater social acceptance than ethanol.

Edited by hyperdimension

Chang was Carlsberg Special Brew (8+%) marketed as just Carlsberg until they didn't renew the license and Chang took over.

Singha only became more consistent (it varied from about 4.5 to 7.5% vol) when they decided to market it overseas due to the Thai market being opened up.

sick.gif

I think you are wrong.

I'm talking about when I drank Chang in the late 90s.

So we will have a no alcohol day on 15 - 18 - 19 and 20 July.

Looks like a promising month for tourists.

15th is still a big IF, but 18th?

18th may be a school, bank and government bridge holiday ... no alcohol? No way Jose.

sick.gif

I believe Carlsberg withdrew the licence because the brewery was coppying thier recipe and marketing it as Chang, selling it at a cheaper cost.

They already have a number of no alcohol days in Thailand but yo can still buy it and drink.

Another pretend business as usual post.

Of course you still buy alcohol, though enforcement is getting tougher and tougher by every event.

On Buddhist holidays Pattaya, for example, looks like a ghost town.

I thought the 15th was reserved for NO PLASTIC BAGS day....looks like that initiative lasted as long as we all thought!

So are you saying that you can't have a "No plastic bags day" and a "No alcohol day" on the same day. Gee multitasking is so difficult.

Well I am going to need those plastics bags to put my beer in so I can carry it home.