Clinton, Obama, stand-ins emphasize her trustworthiness

webfact

Clinton, Obama, stand-ins emphasize her trustworthiness
By LAURIE KELLMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Clinton and her high-powered campaign stand-ins are talking about trust everywhere they speak these days, and for good reason.

On Sunday's news shows, Sen. Sherrod Brown, R-Ohio, and Labor Secretary Tom Perez explicitly talked about Clinton and trust. And the candidate herself acknowledged that she has "work to do" to earn the trust of voters in her likely general election matchup against Republican Donald Trump, who suffers from a public trust deficit of a different sort. This week, President Barack Obama will personalize the "I trust Hillary" theme during his first appearance with his former secretary of state in battleground North Carolina. And Vice President Joe Biden will reinforce the message Friday in his hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania, with Clinton at his side.

It's all evidence of a remarkable vulnerability that persists both despite and because of Clinton's decades of public life. But the timing of the trust campaign is no accident. Husband Bill Clinton, the former president, this week met with the FBI's boss, Attorney General Loretta Lynch, on the tarmac in Phoenix in a session both say was innocent but regrettable. The FBI interviewed Clinton for more than three hours on Saturday about whether she exposed government secrets by blending personal and official business on a home email server. Clinton immediately taped a television interview in which she denied wrongdoing and repeated an acknowledgment she had slipped into a speech last week on the same day Sen. Elizabeth Warren vouched for her.

Clinton said she will do "everything I can to earn the trust of the voters of our country," remarks aired Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." ''I know that's something that I'm going to keep working on, and I think that's, you know, a clear priority for me."

Last week just after Warren endorsed her, Clinton acknowledged she's "made mistakes. I don't know anyone who hasn't."

And she defended her sometimes too-cautious style.

"The reason I sometimes sound careful with my words is not that I'm hiding something. It's just that I'm careful with my words," she said at the Rainbow PUSH Coalition's event in Chicago.

Questions about Hillary Clinton's ethics have dogged her from her days as first lady of Arkansas and later the United States during husband Bill Clinton's governorship and presidency, through her service a senator from New York, her failed 2008 presidential campaign and as Obama's secretary of state. So pervasive has the image been that her opponents have only to utter buzzwords like "Whitewater" — the name of the Clintons' failed land deal in which neither was implicated in wrongdoing — to invoke the image of what Trump terms, "Crooked Hillary."

Republican Trump also suffers from a lack of trust, stemming from opposite circumstances: his political inexperience and impulsive style.

Not helping make the case: Husband Bill Clinton. Last week the former president chose to board the plane of the FBI's boss, Attorney General Loretta Lynch, on the tarmac of the Phoenix airport. Both insisted the meeting consisted only of pleasantries — grandchildren and golf, for example. But the timing and the appearance of the confab fed right into the idea that the Clintons have a tendency to wield their influence on the edge of propriety. Bill Clinton and Lynch have since said they regret the meeting.

"I learned about it in the news," Clinton said in the NBC interview taped hours after the FBI session Saturday. "They did not discuss the Department of Justice's review."

Was the visit inappropriate, she was asked?

"Well, I think, you know, hindsight is 20/20."

Clinton's supporters leapt in with defenses of her overall character.

"I trust Hillary Clinton in part because for a whole lot of reasons," Brown, a potential vice presidential pick, said on ABC's "This Week. "I know how she started her career advocating for the Children's Defense Fund. She didn't go off to Manhattan or to Washington to make a lot of money."

Perez repeated Clinton's own reasoning that in the quarter century since her husband was first elected president, some accusations against her have stuck, rightly or wrongly.

"The Hillary Clinton that I've gotten to know well and the Hillary Clinton that the voters of New York got to kick the tires on very well, they have always said and consistently said that we trust her," Perez, another vice presidential possibility, said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." He urged voters to look at the public service work Clinton has done during her career. "That really gives me, and I think the American people, a window into her moral compass. And her moral compass is about helping those who are in the shadows."

Added Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif., a third potential vice presidential pick: "The secretary has made it very clear she understands she's got to earn people's trust. She's going to work very, very hard to do that. And I give her credit for saying she's made some mistakes," he said on "Fox News Sunday." ''She's going to try to show the American people that she's going to work hard, especially for working families in America to earn their trust."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-04

"Sen. Sherrod Brown, R-Ohio"

Elite media at it again, this is no typo it is yellow journalism. Sen. Brown is a democrat. If it was Thailand I would give them a pass, but it was not written in Thailand.

Pathetic the way the MSM spins this into all the people who trust Hillary, a member of the nation's most corrupt family.

Media is being put on notice, they don't discuss it but their biased news is pissing off the majority of Americans.

Democratic wingnut crooks...that they are.

Liars, scamming criminals.

Wake up....Democrats.

How much sugar can you put on a bowl of krap? It still smells.

Why do people support this woman? Anyone that has to say "I made many mistakes" and "I need to earn back the trust". Holy Christmas Man! Would you let a barber shave you with a straight razor if he was spewing stuff like this?

Edited by slipperylobster

How devastating will it be when HRC is elected in a landslide in November?

You wonder how the wingnuts get soooooo far out there? Here is what the right wing is digesting with their morning coffee: Michael Savage: 'Trey Gowdy Should Be Impeached' Over Benghazi Hearings; Fox News Suggests France 'Pulled A Fast One' And Made Statue Of Liberty Secretly Transgender; Rush Limbaugh Fantasizes About Left Wing Violence If Trump Wins; Former Bushie Compares Clinton/Lynch Meeting To 'Godfather' Scene; Trump's Jew Star Tweet

Here is one you can take to the bank: Hillary Clinton will be elected in a landslide in November. Now there is a fact you won't hear on Fox News this morning.

"Media is being put on notice, they don't discuss it but their biased news is pissing off the majority of Americans." No bassman, that's silly. Time for a reality break...turn off the TV.

Edited by Pinot

You wonder how the wingnuts get soooooo far out there? Here is what the right wing is digesting with their morning coffee: Michael Savage: 'Trey Gowdy Should Be Impeached' Over Benghazi Hearings; Fox News Suggests France 'Pulled A Fast One' And Made Statue Of Liberty Secretly Transgender; Rush Limbaugh Fantasizes About Left Wing Violence If Trump Wins; Former Bushie Compares Clinton/Lynch Meeting To 'Godfather' Scene; Trump's Jew Star Tweet

Here is one you can take to the bank: Hillary Clinton will be elected in a landslide in November. Now there is a fact you won't hear on Fox News this morning.

"Media is being put on notice, they don't discuss it but their biased news is pissing off the majority of Americans." No bassman, that's silly. Time for a reality break...turn off the TV.

The only "Landslide" will be when that pile of big rocks come tumbling down, while Hillary splits them into small ones..... on the chain gang.

Not silly at all, media is getting heat from both the Trump and Bernie folks, which way outnumbers the Hillary sycophants. This issue will not go away and will continue to boil well after the November elections. The people have had enough.

As an observer I’m totally intrigued regarding a question about the allure of Hillary Clinton and either side of the political spectrum are welcome to comment.

I couldn’t imagine many (although I realise not all) of these people who are steadfastly loyal to Hillary Clinton wouldn’t for one minute tolerate such loose standards (and particularly compulsive lying )within their own circle of family and friends and yet they are seemingly willing to do this with a politician and turn a blind eye regarding so many issues affecting her and Bill Clinton.I mean surely by now there must be at least an element of doubt creeping into some people's minds amongst even the most loyal members of her supporters ?

My question is what are these extremely tolerant Democratic supporters expecting from her if she becomes President in terms of payback for this extreme tolerance no matter what?

Wingnuts are going to be wingnuts. You see the hate dripping from these posts. These are your Trumpeteers. Low-information, fearful, conspiracy embracing, gun nuts, who think ISIS is coming to kill them and Obama and Hillary are the devil.

Compulsive lying? I just don't get it. Here you have Trump who lies constantly, about EVERYTHING. Fox News which wouldn't not what the truth was if the entire bubble headed bleach blond news readers lives, depended upon it...and then there is Hillary.

Why is it that only the wingnuts think HRC is a liar? What has she lied about? I seriously don't know one single thing she has ever lied about.

Give me a mainstream news links to where she has lied about something, not the usual Fox News bullshit, something with journalistic integrity. Prove she lied about anything.

And have your medication checked.

Edited by Pinot

Wingnuts are going to be wingnuts. You see the hate dripping from these posts. These are your Trumpeteers. Low-information, fearful, conspiracy embracing, gun nuts, who think ISIS is coming to kill them and Obama and Hillary are the devil.

Compulsive lying? I just don't get it. Here you have Trump who lies constantly, about EVERYTHING. Fox News which wouldn't not what the truth was if the entire bubble headed bleach blond news readers lives, depended upon it...and then there is Hillary.

Why is it that only the wingnuts think HRC is a liar? What has she lied about? I seriously don't know one single thing she has ever lied about.

Give me a mainstream news links to where she has lied about something, not the usual Fox News bullshit, something with journalistic integrity. Prove she lied about anything.

" Give me a mainstream news links to where she has lied about something, not the usual Fox News bullshit, something with journalistic integrity. Prove she lied about anything "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-arel/chelsea-clinton-is-lying-_b_9001744.html

" Give me a mainstream news links to where she has lied about something, not the usual Fox News bullshit, something with journalistic integrity. Prove she lied about anything "

lol...angry left wingnut is torqued off.

Nah. I am not going to do the research, its pretty much evident that she evades the truth. I think the polls show that she is not trusted.

Even she...in her own words....said she has to regain the trust of her followers.

Deep kimchee

Nah. I am not going to do the research, its pretty much evident that she evades the truth. I think the polls show that she is not trusted.

Even she...in her own words....said she has to regain the trust of her followers.

Deep kimchee

The polls that show she 15% ahead of Trump?

Didn't think you could do it. It's just something wingnuts say, she's a liar.

Tsk. If she's a compulsive liar you should be able to come up with something other than splitting hairs with Bernie six months ago.

Trump spews more bullshit every 5 minutes he speaks.

Still waiting on the compulsive liar proof.

Deep kimchee

The polls that show she 15% ahead of Trump?

Didn't think you could do it. It's just something wingnuts say, she's a liar.

That, from a left wing liberal lunatic that can't see past her nose.

To Hillary...

Liar..Liar...pants on fire.

Benghazi

Emails

Clinton Fund

you name it...she lied in it.

There it is. clap2.gif You're proof positive HRC is a compulsive liar.

Thank you and goodnight, remember to tip your waitresses. wai2.gif

Tsk. If she's a compulsive liar you should be able to come up with something other than splitting hairs with Bernie six months ago.

Trump spews more bullshit every 5 minutes he speaks.

Still waiting on the compulsive liar proof.

1) Landed under sniper fire in Bosnia:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/clinton-sniper-fire-in-bosnia/

2) Says she didn't blame Benghazi on youtube video when attending the funeral of the 4 killed. Two lies in one 1) the video 2) the family.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/clinton-sniper-fire-in-bosnia/

Hilary burns her government day books so her meetings are not public record. The UN guy mysteriously dies days before testifying against Hilary. These types of occurrences just go on and on. And yet we get posters demanding links to prove any wrong doings? Do some reading.

Because Hilary is a crook doesn't make Trump a saint. His dirty laundry will emerge more with time.

That aside a person demanding trust does so because they have none.

Hilary burns her government day books so her meetings are not public record. The UN guy mysteriously dies days before testifying against Hilary. These types of occurrences just go on and on. And yet we get posters demanding links to prove any wrong doings? Do some reading.

Because Hilary is a crook doesn't make Trump a saint. His dirty laundry will emerge more with time.

That aside a person demanding trust does so because they have none.

Conspiracy nonsense and groundless accusations go on and on. "Hillary is a crook," is just something wingnuts say to each other instead of "Hi, you you doing?"

Wingnuts live and breath, "Hillary is a crook". They hate her like they hate Obama. So they just make stuff up.

It's baseless. Do some reading, other than the Fox News media echo chamber and you can't find anything. It's all innuendo and bullshit. Benghazi!!!

HRC has a enough trust with normal people to be President by a landslide in November. Deal with it.

You left out the part about there are no Russian troops in Ukraine.