Dog/Puppy Supplements

Morning

I have a 4 month old Bull Terrier. He is developing skin issues. He eats raw and is growing well and no other underlying health issues. I have researched that it is best to add supplements to his diet but struggling to find Thai branded ones rather than expensive imports. Does anybody know any good quality dog supplements and where to get them.

I am based in Phuket but happy to ship from BKK etc. Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Bullies are prone to skin issues and it's is often triggered by the puppy-vaccinations.

Many are intolerant or even allergic to processed chicken protein. But as you give raw, I'm not sure. Nonetheless, you could have a look at that. And also have a look at this website to check if you give enough variation in your puppy's diet: http://rawfeddogs.org/
The skin issue can also be demodectic mange. Have seen that a lot in Bullie-puppies. The many vaccinations given within a short period of time to an immature immune system can do a lot of havoc. Demodectic mange is immune related. A healthy immune system can keep this parasite in check, but a suppressed one not. And if then, the puppy already has a predisposition to this kind of dis-ease, it can be an unpleasant bingo.

I would be careful with supplementing the diet. Over-supplementation can also do a *lot* of damage. But sometimes a teaspoon of coconut oil (slowly going up to a tablespoon when your pup reaches adulthood) can do wonders. :)

You should not need any supplements if you are feeding a balanced diet. The raw is great... but they need all the animal.. such as the bones, offal, even some feathers and hair. Some people make the mistake of just feed cuts of raw meat.. which in not balanced.

Can you post details of the dogs diet?

If the diet is OK it could be allergy to something in the home or garden, or even parasites such as fleas or the dreaded mange.

If its not the diet you should take him to the vet to get a diagnosis.

I have 2 small dogs.. I feed raw most of the time, but sometimes the dry food. One dog has really bad skin allergies. I thought it was something in the diet.. but from tests at the vet it turned out to be some kind of pollen dust, that's why she only gets it at the start of the rainy season.

Good luck with your dog.

Too much bones, too little meat.

Too little variation in the animal protein.

Any organ meats?

I suggest you read the info on the website I provided above.

Your dog's diet is not balanced. (that may add to the issue, but may not be the cause. Time will tell)

His diet is the following per day:

Amount 520g

minced meat (chicken or beef) 250g

Veg (changes but mainly Kale, brocolie, carret, cucumber, Pumpkin) 125g

Bone (chicken feet/carcass, maybe a wing) 125g

offal (pig liver/heart) 12.5g

Gets coconut oil 1tsp daily

How does it look, any suggestions?

Solid Gold Seameal. Perfect seaweed based multivitamin with all the trace minerals and vitamins. Also comes with cultured bacteria to aid in digestion and flaxseed oil which helps reduce skin problems and bring out the sheen on coats.

I've had a Bull Terrier in Thailand for 9 years now and they do suffer a lot of skin allergies. Some of them disappear as the dog gets older. My Bull Terrier has a grass allergy on her stomach which is sorted by getting her to wear a dog t-shirt when she's in the garden (she lives in the house). It would be good if you could find out what is causing the skin complaint. I found that when she was a puppy I was on first name terms with the vet as she spent a lot of time there. Luckily she's the only dog I've ever had that wags her tail at the vetsbiggrin.png