Letter of confirmation from SSA-US

Last month I posted a report regarding my SSA application interview which was carried out by the kind staff of the SSA-Manila office.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/926336-fresh-report-ssa-benefits-application-interview-with-ssa-manila/?p=10929900

As she was wrapping up the interview, the officer told me that I would receive a confirmation letter from SSA-US in 3 to 4 months hence - basically anytime between the time of the interview mid June and my 62nd birthday this October.

Will it require any response/verification on my part as it will be sent to my address here in Thailand? I forgot to ask. I am planning a trip back to the states this summer and fervently hope mine would come much sooner than the time estimate so that I'll have it in my hot hands before I take off for the trip. I already bought the plane ticket to go mid September (it was a super-low fare therefore non changeable deal) so this is gonna be a calculated risk!

I figure if I haven't received the confirmation letter by then, I would sit out the trip and wait. But that would mean my favorite state-bound jumbo double-decked Airbus 800 would take off without me, bummer!

Is it crucial that I would need to have the letter in my possession just in case nothing happens in November (when the first deposit is supposed to occur) ? Would like to hear from those who have gone down this road before...It would help me a lot!

Thank you in advance and wish you a nice day biggrin.png

If there is any delay because of paperwork or anything else, they will still pay you for the time you are eligible.

They will send you all they should owe you in one big check - initially - then regular amounts after that.

They go by when you applied, not from when all the details are completed.

• 1 month later...

Update - no news.

I was/still am waiting for the letter. It's now been a month and a half since SSA-Manila "receipted" (their word) my application to SSA-US when the time fell into the 3-month prior to my 62nd birthday window. Just to recap I had sent my application in way early so SSA-Manila went ahead and did the phone interview before it was time (mid-July) to transmit ie. "receipt" my application to the US . The interview happened mid June. 

In the intervening time I have also inquired about the confirmation letter via an e-mail to SSA-Manila. In reply they said they could not make any inquiries with SSA-US until 3 months have passed, the period during which my application being reviewed, and "thank you for your patience."

I'm flying back to the US mid September and will stay there for 2 months. Deliberately so when my first SSA deposit happens (or doesn't) as it's supposed to at the beginning of November, I will still be "on- site" to do whatever necessary to correct the situation. As many posts here are saying the letter of confirmation requires no response so I'm not tied down in Thailand waiting for it. I guess once I'm on US soil it's easier to check in on the progress, even though it's still a matter of calling the general SSA help desk number. Or should I just visit the local SSA office instead?:facepalm:

Maybe ubonjoe or some other members who've been down this road before could give me some pointers on what to do next? 

Thank you very much in advance.

I had my SSA - Manila interview beginning of this month...then, 3 weeks later she called back to ask about the SF1199 for the bank deposit details which were attached to the follow up email that I sent but that she hadn't seen...so, looks like the start for my Baltimore application adjudication period hasn't happened until recently...

maybe I'll have good luck like Joe...I wanted to retire next month...

all the best to the OP with your application processing...

Latest update: IT'S HERE, FOLKS!:w00t:

Alrighgty,  musta been telepathy: The long-awaited letter of confirmation arrived at my BKK adobe this afternoon, from SSA-Baltimore. 

From what I was told during my interview by SSA- Manila:

1) My SSA benefits "meter" will start running the first month in which I'm FULLY 62 years old = November 2016. (As my birthdate falls mid October, I won't be considered FULLY 62 for that month.) 

2) I should get my first SSA payment at the beginning of November 2016. Which led to speculation from other forum members  that it meant indeed my benefits start with the month of my birthdate ie October and the payment for which will take place at the beginning of the following month ie November. 

The letter indeed informs that I will get paid starting the month of November 2016, the payment of which will take place at the beginning of December 2016. After that I will get paid "on or about the third" of each month.

So, here is a timeline of my SSA retirement benefits application: 

- end of May 2016: sent preliminary questionnaire to SSA-Manila ( by REGISTERED Thai post).
- mid June : got a reply saying my application arrived too early. And please remind them SSA-Manila by mid July when the 3-month prior to  my birthdate time window opens so they can get my application started.
- the following day got a call from SSA-Manila (at exactly 8:01am with absolutely no advanced warning) for the phone interview. Got the info cited above along with an estimation of the amount of benefits (which proved to be accurate to the dollar).
- mid-July : sent a "reminder" email to SSA-Manila per their request back in mid-June.
- 3 weeks later : sent an email inquiry about the progress so far, namely wanting to know the whereabout - or whenabout rather - of the letter of confirmation, if any. (read my yesterday post for their reply).
- today roughly a month and a half after the official "reception" of my application to SSA- Baltimore, the letter of confirmation has arrived.

For additional info, the claim number is my SS# with the letter A tagged on at the end. ubonjoe is correct on this. Also, DOCUMENT-wise, nothing have been required of me apart from the preliminary questionnaire that I sent in initially.

Phew, I'm relieved! (for a while I thought the letter might have gotten lost somewhere down another soi:facepalm:) Hope this recap will be useful to other folks, and again to all who have chipped in with their advise/input (especially to ubonjoe) A BIG THANK YOU!!! :thumbsup: 

• 3 months later...

FINAL update -

the first deposit showed up in my US saving account promptly on the 2nd of this month of December as indicated in SSA confirmation letter, the exact amount. FWIW, I've been chomping at the bit while being on US soil the last 3 months for various businesses, one of which was to be "on-site" in case the deposit did not arrive as planned. Hats off to SSA for its (renowned) efficacy!!

yeah...I got my first payment  a coupla weeks ago from my application in July (payments to start from August) and the money covered Aug - Nov...no payment yet for Dec though...

I found the Manila folks to be bumbling and stupid...forever going on holiday with my application sitting there without activity...going without payment for 4 months put a dent in my savings that I don't appreciate...

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread brings up a question. I will turn 62 in late June and will apply as soon as I can. I do plan on being in the USA for my application and I have a USA address, banks etc.

Is the application period 3 months to the day before your birthday? Or given my late June birthday can I apply say in early March?

Yes, you can apply in March.  Since your birthday is in June (doesn't matter on what day in June) you can apply up to 3 months before....you can apply as early as 1 March.

You can apply as soon as you are 61 yrs 9 mos old referenced from the 1st day of your birth month which works out to 1 March for you.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3012/How-far-in-advance-can-I-apply-for-Social-Security-retirement-benefits

53 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes, you can apply in March.  Since your birthday is in June (doesn't matter on what day in June) you can apply up to 3 months before....you can apply as early as 1 March.

You can apply as soon as you are 61 yrs 9 mos old referenced from the 1st day of your birth month which works out to 1 March for you.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3012/How-far-in-advance-can-I-apply-for-Social-Security-retirement-benefits

Thanks for the link. I had searched online w/ google but didn't come across that link. Google's page rank doesn't work well at times.

I'm trying to plan a trip to the US and file while I am there.