Temporary Thai Passport VS Certificate of Identity

It was suggested that I use a certificate of identity for my 9 year old Thai son who does not have a Thai Passport but does have a USA Passport. We live in Philadelphia, but calling either the embassy in New York or Washington DC is futile. They never answer the phone. I just placed a call to the Thai Embassy in South Africa and I was told by the Thai visa section for Thai people that the certificate of identity requires the passport number of a lost passport. The lady in Johannesburg told me that it's not possible to get a certificate of identity if he never had a tie passport.

She suggested that I could get a temporary passport which would only be valid for one year. This doesn't require a passport to come from Bangkok it can be issued at the Embassy in either New York or Washington. I never heard of a temporary passport, but I never heard of the certificate of identity either.

Is it possible that the lady is wrong about the certificate of identity and has anyone here heard of a temporary Thai passport that only has one year of validity?

The documents to are required in Johannesburg, was a copy of my identification and my wife's, his birth certificate the original, and a copy of the marriage certificate. I also have a letter from my wife which is a power of attorney giving me permission to get him a passport and also for him to travel.

Is anyone gotten a temporary type passport?

From what I have read they only do the temporary passport as a replacement for a lost passport. And tickets to a country other than Thailand need to be shown.

I am aware of a person getting a certificate of identity with a just issued Thai birth certificate at a embassy.

Info on London embassy website in Thai that Google translate does good job on. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/83

As I said I just got off the phone one hour ago with the consular officer in Johannesburg who issues type passports. She told me that they could not issue a certificate of identity without the lost type passport number. So now you're telling me the same thing has to be done for a temporary Thai passport. So unless I can get a phone call answered in either New York or Washington I'm not sure what to do. And when the lady in the Johannesburg asked me why my calling South Africa I told her that the embassies in New York and Washington never pick up the phone and don't answer their email, and she laughed and said yes I know.

I don't know which one is right. The translation from the London embassy doesn't say that it has to be a lost passport for them to issue a Thai passport.

the reality is were leaving August 7 and there isn't enough time to get a regular passport. If he has to he can travel on the US passport but that would be last resort.

Edited by stuck

This what it states at the top of the page.

"The temporary passport age 1 year Temporary Passport.

Temporary passports will be issued to the age of one year in the case of Thailand passport is lost or expired. And there is an urgent need to travel abroad without a passport can be issued temporary passports E-Passport, however, there is no restriction machine readable bar code which, if applied to visas. Some countries may not accept "

This page has info about the CI. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/18

This what it states at the top of the page.

"The temporary passport age 1 year Temporary Passport.

Temporary passports will be issued to the age of one year in the case of Thailand passport is lost or expired. And there is an urgent need to travel abroad without a passport can be issued temporary passports E-Passport, however, there is no restriction machine readable bar code which, if applied to visas. Some countries may not accept "

This page has info about the CI. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/18

It's a 1 year passport. It sounds like the use of these documents is a bit elastic.

Yes, the temporary passport is issued for who lost passport or a child born abroad.

My sister did it for her child in Canberra and no need for parents to be present at the embassy. All can done by post.

The best thing to do is to call the embassy in washington dc or email them.

By the way, why would you like to have the temporary passport since you can go to Thailand with US Passport and then do the ePassport over there?

Yes, the temporary passport is issued for who lost passport or a child born abroad.

My sister did it for her child in Canberra and no need for parents to be present at the embassy. All can done by post.

The best thing to do is to call the embassy in washington dc or email them.

By the way, why would you like to have the temporary passport since you can go to Thailand with US Passport and then do the ePassport over there?

You are asking a question that I have been thinking about through this entire process. What are the Thai's going to do if my son enters with his US Passport and overstays? We will get him a Thai Passport and ID card when we return to Thailand. He will never have to show his US Passport again, at least not in Thailand and no one outside of Thailand is going to care one whit if he doesn't have an exit stamp from Thailand. So why am going through all this nonsense.

Getting him a Thai passport, for the first time, in Thailand will not have anything to do with the US Passport. Am I incorrect? His US passport will expire in 3 1/2 years anyway so what is the harm? Can someone explain this to me? UBONJOE? If we leave Thailand for Laos, he will leave and enter on his brand new Thai Passport, so where does the US passport come into play at all? He can't be thrown out for being an overstayer, he can't be fined as he is 9 years old and to the Thai's, it's as if he never left Thailand. We just get him a fresh Thai Passport. What more does he need?

What am I missing?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/7/2016 at 6:28 AM, stuck said:

You are asking a question that I have been thinking about through this entire process. What are the Thai's going to do if my son enters with his US Passport and overstays? We will get him a Thai Passport and ID card when we return to Thailand. He will never have to show his US Passport again, at least not in Thailand and no one outside of Thailand is going to care one whit if he doesn't have an exit stamp from Thailand. So why am going through all this nonsense.

Getting him a Thai passport, for the first time, in Thailand will not have anything to do with the US Passport. Am I incorrect? His US passport will expire in 3 1/2 years anyway so what is the harm? Can someone explain this to me? UBONJOE? If we leave Thailand for Laos, he will leave and enter on his brand new Thai Passport, so where does the US passport come into play at all? He can't be thrown out for being an overstayer, he can't be fined as he is 9 years old and to the Thai's, it's as if he never left Thailand. We just get him a fresh Thai Passport. What more does he need?

What am I missing?

Was wondering the exact same... Have you done this yet?