PM wants netizens to stop “sharing” pictures of rape victim in social media

snoop1130

PM wants netizens to stop “sharing” pictures of rape victim in social media

498_PM-wpcf_728x409.jpg

THAILAND -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has appealed to netizens to stop “sharing” the pictures of rape victim, schoolteacher Ms Chularat Thowanna, in the social media, saying that the act amounts to “rubbing salt on a wound”.

Government spokesman Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the prime minister understood the sentiment who “shared” the victim’s images in put pressure on state authorities to impose capital punishment on the perpetrator of the heinous crime.

But, on the other side of the coin, he said the prime minister felt that such an act amounting to not showing respect for the victim and her family. The prime minister, he added, wanted the victim’s supporters and sympathizers to have good memory of her merits.

The prime minister has wanted the case to serve a warning to people in general to be more careful and not to easily trust everybody because there are good and bad people among us.

Besides the police whom the prime minister has instructed them to tighten up security for the public, Maj-Gen Sansern said the prime minister wanted owners or operators of apartments and hostels to improve security in their premises by installing CCTV system or , if the system is already installed, to make sure that it still works properly.

He went on saying that he would like to appeal to female entertainers such as songstresses to wear properly and to refrain from wearing sexually.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-wants-netizens-stop-sharing-pictures-rape-victim-social-media/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-06

He went on saying that he would like to appeal to female entertainers such as songstresses to wear properly and to refrain from wearing sexually.

Typical troglodyte victim-blaming behaviour.

Why not appeal to men to not rape?

Edit: Beat me to it Bluespunk

Edited by jamesbrock

Perhaps continually referring to her as a "rape victim" is not showing respect for the victim and her family - after all, the piece of filth slashed her throat because she resisted his rape attempt - ergo, she is a murder victim.

The way Thailand views rape, describing her as a "rape victim" when in fact she was murdered is grossly disrespectful. Krub.

All who don't do that, have it coming!

What a <deleted>!

I am sure if people had half a brain they would be able to deservedly request something without putting there two bobs worth in and making a complete dick of themselves. If he is asking people to show respect, then why is he showing disrespect by insinuating or giving the impression that maybe she (female) could be to blame for what transpired.

So according to this Mong and I've heard it before from die hard Islamists that if a woman who dresses inappropriately well she is nothing but a piece of meat and deserves what she gets.

Man he just never learns.

"Mong" classic, just gave me my laugh of the week and took me back about 20 years. Thanks!

The PM was supporting a tearful appeal by the victim's mother to stop the circulation of graphic crime scene photos on social media.

Those posting photographs of the VICTIM should be locked-up. What a pack of imbeciles, how would they feel if it was one of their family?

PM.......people are expressing their sadness and celebrating the life of this lovely young woman

she died at the hands of a serial rapist and complete scum, it could have been prevented

Perhaps the right message would be.............that you will do everything in your power to make sure that this animal gets what he deserves and that you will make it your own personal mission to do everything in your power to make sure this never happens again

now maybe something got lost in translation and the above is actualy what you really said

grrrrrrrr

"He went on saying that he would like to appeal to female entertainers such as songstresses to wear properly and to refrain from wearing sexually."

Christ, not this BS again.

he needs to learn that women are pretty and any western leader making a statement like that would be out of a job

if he thinks women should be covered up maybe he needs to go join his mate in Dubai

yes a smedly scathing attack

The PM was supporting a tearful appeal by the victim's mother to stop the circulation of graphic crime scene photos on social media.

It seems some people are missing the PM's point. It is what Gecko123 above said, it is about uncensored photograph(s) of the

women, in which she is lying dead on the bed, face up on her back, legs spread, with only a shirt on that is rolled up to above her chest and

her slashed throat is visible, thus her naked body.

How do I know? Someone (Thai) described the above to me and would get me the photograph. And commented on what nice

breasts she has/had.

I did not get (to see) the photograph. And don't need to.

Is this a first step to outlaw webusers to report on crimes?

As soon as you cannot share pictures of the victims it will be hard to move the authorities to actually take action and move forward in a case.

I agree that they should stop sharing if the case is handled right, but please dont let them make some rules that can send you to prison for sharing.

(Same as with the law against amimal cruelty, the reason people zhowanimal cruelty is that there is no legal alternative. Same here, first make sure BiB do their work and then forbid sharing those kinds of pics)

Edit: previous comment about nude and disrespectful pictures i totally agree on, outlaw that asap

Edited by Bob12345

It seems some people are missing the PM's point. It is what Gecko123 above said, it is about uncensored photograph(s) of the

women, in which she is lying dead on the bed, face up on her back, legs spread, with only a shirt on that is rolled up to above her chest and

her slashed throat is visible, thus her naked body.

How do I know? Someone (Thai) described the above to me and would get me the photograph. And commented on what nice

breasts she has/had.

I did not get (to see) the photograph. And don't need to.

I haven't seen the photo either, nor would I ever want to, and while I fully agree that it is disrespectful and these sort of images should not be in the public domain - it is not the only issue in this story.

The fact that the PM, and the media, refer to her as a "rape victim" when she is in fact a "murder victim" I find grossly disrespectful. Because of the way Thais view rape (as some sort of quasi-romantic semi-humerous plot line in virtually every soap and movie) constantly referring to her as a rape victim completely diminishes the fact that her life was brutally taken. We wouldn't refer to Alton Sterling as 'the guy who was tasered by cops,' so why refer to this poor girl as a rape victim?

Of course the second issue is the completely neanderthal, yet fully understandable, victim-blaming in the PM's appeal to females...

I seem to remember uncensored photos of Hannah Witheridge's body being shown on social media immediately after the Koh Tao murders. What did the PM say and do about that disgusting behaviour? Oh, I forgot Hannah was improperly attired before her murder, according to the PM.

I seem to remember uncensored photos of Hannah Witheridge's body being shown on social media immediately after the Koh Tao murders. What did the PM say and do about that disgusting behaviour? Oh, I forgot Hannah was improperly attired before her murder, according to the PM.

You mean the photos taken by a police officer and posted on his Facebook account ?

Something else that was just glossed over.

I had the misfortune to scroll down my FB feed and see the picture because a Thai person in my friends list had "liked" a post containing it by someone else. I was livid - I don't want to see that and what kind of empty headed moronic retards would share images like that, or like them, kids can easily see this stuff.

Thailand - no prostitution, no cigarettes on TV, fined for nudity at SOngkran, but bring on the dead body pics, &lt;deleted&gt;? Their newspapers are just as bad.

"He went on saying that he would like to appeal to female entertainers such as songstresses to wear properly and to refrain from wearing sexually."

Christ, not this BS again.

He'd be better employed doing something about the ' must watch ' soaps that all but glorify sexual and domestic violence.

You mean the photos taken by a police officer and posted on his Facebook account ?

Something else that was just glossed over.

As always happens - these POlice should be disciplined (ha ha, right), rather than the usual Government attitude of blame the (admittently moronic) spreaders of the image via social media.

Telling women to dress "properly", so they won't be raped...

Comparing women to candy...

Telling female tourists they are not safe in Thailand if they are beautiful and wear a bikini,,,

He hasn't learned one bit, it really hasn't sunk in, he is stuck in a rut repeating excuses for rape.

One thing he never ever thinks about is: eliminating rape in Thailand will stop the sharing of pictures of victims, because there will be no victims. But that concept goes totally against his mindset of blaming the victims....

If it wasn't for social media many, many crimes would never be addressed. As unsavory as it is; keeping the pictures in the forefront stops the case from being swept under the rug like so many others.

Cannot agree.