Overground goes under: Popular Soi 22 expat hangout to close after weekend bash

snoop1130

Overground goes under: Popular Soi 22 expat hangout to close after weekend bash
By Laurel Tuohy

rsz_overground.jpg
Photos: Overground Cafe

BAGNKOK -- In a surprising Facebook post on Monday night, Overground Bar & Cafe owner Grahame Lynch announced that he was closing his popular Sukhumvit Soi 22 cafe and bar this Sunday.

But don’t worry, there will still be one last weekend to drink the bar dry.

Lynch said of his decision to close the bar that: “Running a full bar and eatery with a good sound system, table service and good entertainment costs money and there simply wasn't enough revenue coming in to pay the bills.”

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/06/overground-goes-under-popular-soi-22-expat-hangout-close-after-weekend-bash

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-06

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go off Suk road and go right into the square where the Honey House 1 hotel is.

There's a sign pointing the way to the hotel on soi 22.

It's on the left as you go along the small square.

A lot of bars are closing since the junta siezed the country

I don't think the two are particularly connected.

More like extortionate rent increases by greedy landlords.

Landlords kill a lot of decent businesses, particularly in the tourist areas.

Never heard of the place.

Gee, that's interesting, I only come to Bangkok two or three times a year, yet I have been there. Perhaps you're not interested in live music, comedy, drinks at reasonable prices and decent food. I heard one Brit complain, "With that name, I thought it would be like a bit of London." Not a great place for sexpats either. I will miss it.

I went there once. We were the only people there.

Well at least you got peace, not like another time recently when you and your wife were in a bar, and you were on here complaining about some

Farangs looking at her.huh.png

Well at least you got peace, not like another time recently when you and your wife were in a bar, and you were on here complaining about some

Stalk much?

Never heard of the place.

Gee, that's interesting, I only come to Bangkok two or three times a year, yet I have been there. Perhaps you're not interested in live music, comedy, drinks at reasonable prices and decent food. I heard one Brit complain, "With that name, I thought it would be like a bit of London." Not a great place for sexpats either. I will miss it.

Well as I'd never heard of it and have hundreds of other places I DO know about its unlikely I am going to visit.

A publicity failure at best.

Stalk much?

Stalk? If that was the case, and they were making it obvious, if it ever happens again, do a Jack Reacher impression.

Walk over to them and the guy who seems to be the ringleader, a good very hard punch on the nose, and the rest will scarper.

There, that's good advice from your Uncle Possum.

Stalk much?

Stalk? If that was the case, and they were making it obvious, if it ever happens again, do a Jack Reacher impression.

Walk over to them and the guy who seems to be the ringleader, a good very hard punch on the nose, and the rest will scarper.

There, that's good advice from your Uncle Possum.

You have issues, dude.

Don't you like a bit of humour SB? No, I thought not.

Are you lonely or something? It's a thread about a bar. Stop trying to chat me up.

Yes, I am a bit lonely just now, Mrs Possum is out working, so a debate with you should help me pass the time. Our debates seem to go on long enough.

Please carry on. Oh wait! "chat you up"?? noooooooo, a nice debate would be fine. laugh.png

It was a little hidden away in an uninviting courtyard full of massage shops. They did make an effort to publicise the place though, with a fair amount of events and gigs seeming to take place there.

Clearly not on the map for the Thaivisa experts though.