Follow-on To Mary Haas

kokesaat

I completed the 40+ series of Maani and am now almost finished with the 9 lesson Mary Hass series of reading lessons. The big advantage of both series is the online (downloadable) voice files and the repetitive nature of vocabulary from one lesson to the next. I feel like I'm making excellent progress....but now I'm getting the shakes worrying about what I'll do for a follow on to Mary Hass's excellent program. Might anyone be aware of another reading/writing series that uses the repetitive vocabulary style of these two programs? Any/all help appreciated.

I completed the 40+ series of Maani and am now almost finished with the 9 lesson Mary Hass series of reading lessons. The big advantage of both series is the online (downloadable) voice files and the repetitive nature of vocabulary from one lesson to the next. I feel like I'm making excellent progress....but now I'm getting the shakes worrying about what I'll do for a follow on to Mary Hass's excellent program. Might anyone be aware of another reading/writing series that uses the repetitive vocabulary style of these two programs? Any/all help appreciated.

When I was learning Thai a few decades ago we went from the Haas reader to the Jones, Mendiones, & Reynolds Thai Cultural Reader. There are no tapes to go with it, and I am sure it will not have more modern vocabulary and plenty of outdated vocabulary, but it was a good reader to transition from stories designed for students of Thai to stories designed for Thais.

When I was learning Thai a few decades ago we went from the Haas reader to the Jones, Mendiones, & Reynolds Thai Cultural Reader. There are no tapes to go with it, and I am sure it will not have more modern vocabulary and plenty of outdated vocabulary, but it was a good reader to transition from stories designed for students of Thai to stories designed for Thais.

The Thai Cultural Reader is very good, but is out of print. You might be able to find a used copy on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. You could also tackle short articles from magazines or newspapers. You can download articles from www.matichon.co.th.

I completed the 40+ series of Maani and am now almost finished with the 9 lesson Mary Hass series of reading lessons. The big advantage of both series is the online (downloadable) voice files...

Could you give us the links for those? Just had a search and they weren't too obvious...

Thanks!

The Thai Cultural Reader is very good, but is out of print. You might be able to find a used copy on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. You could also tackle short articles from magazines or newspapers. You can download articles from www.matichon.co.th.

Actually, Cornell University Press is publishing it (and the A.U.A. books again). I bought a number of books from them earlier this year, including the Thai Cultural Reader and A.U.A. book 1.

Here is the link to their catalogue of books on Thai/Thailand.

The prices are quite reasonable, too.