Tourist visa entry or....?

Hi

We live in the UK. My Thai wife has to take our son (both dual nationality Thai / Brit ) to Thailand for at least 2 months. My wife will come home within a week, but leave our son in Thailand. This is at short notice. So they will leave the UK within 1 - 2 weeks. Their Thai passport have just expired (3rd July 2016). They have Thai ID cards. They can go to BKK passport office and get new Thai passports issued when there.

So they will have to leave the UK on their British passports and what about entering Thailand. Immigration can extend a tourist visa by 30 days i think if requested, so that will be 2 months. But what happens if my son has to stay 2 1/2 months? If he leaves Thailand on his UK passport will he get in trouble? It is a bit complicated. I guess he cannot leave on his (hopefully ) newly issued Thai passport as that may cause a problem with the UK passport.

So is 2 months holiday visa the best option here ?

Thanks in advance

Thai nationals can enter Thailand on expired passports.

Thanks for quick response.

Then is it possible for my son to leave Thailand on the UK passport (if they cannot get the Thai passport because of time issues ) . Would this cause any problems? The UK passport won't have any immigration stamps

( we can then get a new Thai passport later, in the UK )

Then is it possible for my son to leave Thailand on the UK passport (if they cannot get the Thai passport because of time issues ) . Would this cause any problems? The UK passport won't have any immigration stamps

If they enter on their expired Thai passports they would have to get new ones before leaving the country. It takes less than a week to get a Thai passport. There are passport offices located in all areas of the country.

They wouldn't be able to exit Thailand on an expired passport, and it is highly unlikely he would be able to leave with his British passport if he didn't enter the country as a Brit.

It would be better to enter and leave with the British passport and apply for an extension of stay, if required, at an immigration office. Or enter as a Thai and get a new passport in Thailand, however, assuming your son is a minor your wife would only be able to get him a Thai passport in Thailand with you present or with a certified letter of consent from you.

Edited by elviajero

If they enter on their expired Thai passports they would have to get new ones before leaving the country. It takes less than a week to get a Thai passport. There are passport offices located in all areas of the country.

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to get a new Thai passport within 1 day in BKK do you know please?

It might be possible to get a passport in one day if it was an emergency. It would have to done at the main passport office at Chaeng Wattana.

Normal procedure is to apply for the passport and they send the new one by EMS within a few days.

List of passport offices is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87.html

It might be possible to get a passport in one day if it was an emergency. It would have to done at the main passport office at Chaeng Wattana.

Normal procedure is to apply for the passport and they send the new one by EMS within a few days.

List of passport offices is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87.html

Thanks everyone for your answers