Minister Wants Access to Thai Port, Laem Chabang

geovalin

The commerce minister has once again called on Thailand to consider giving access to Cambodian agricultural products to transit to the Thai port of Laem Chabang before being exported to a third country. The minister also called for a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to be signed between the two countries to ensure the flow of trade through the port.

Speaking to a group of Thai businesspeople from the Thai Business Council in Cambodia, Commerce Minister Pan Sorasak said Cambodia and Thailand should have an MoU to facilitate the transit of agricultural products from Cambodia to third countries. At present there is no agreement to export Cambodian agricultural products through Thai ports, while Cambodian agricultural products are not allowed to have access or be transited to Thai ports.

“I once asked the Thai commerce minister when I attended the CLMVT meeting last month, and at that time they asked for a discussion. We have already submitted the relevant documents to my Thai counterpart on what we did with Vietnam. Now we are waiting for their response,” Mr. Sorasak said. The commerce minister said if there is no agreement it would be a setback for Cambodia as it is difficult for local producers to export their products through the Preah Sihanouk port as it is far from the production areas.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/27000/minister-wants-access-to-thai-port/