Want a degree? Just go online, five minutes and you're qualified!

webfact

Want a degree? Just go online, five minutes and you're qualified!

s4pp.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Universities have moved swiftly after a brazen page appeared online offering fake degrees.

The page was titled in Thai " Fake educational qualifications - genuine documents - cheap prices!"

One poster reported: "Done! Education degree and teacher's license. Easy!"

The page advertises a variety of charges ranging from just 5,000 baht for a lower high school certificate to 15,000 for a bachelor's degree, reported Daily News

But an online lawyer warned that penalties for issuing and using fake documents of this sort carry severe penalties. In general Article 264 allows for a prison term of up to three years and a fine of 6,000 baht or both for making fake documents.

But if the documents are used in the government sector they fall under article 265 where the penalty is 6 months - 5 years jail or a 1-10,000 baht fine or both. Those using the degrees can face the same penalties though just having one made does not actually constitute a crime.

Many people, said lawyer Narong Kaewpetch, use such services to change low grades on genuine documents so that they qualify for higher level
courses. They may have a real bachelors degree but need better grades to enter masters degree courses, for example. But this still constitutes a crime punishable under the same statutes.

Dr Darika Latthaphipat of the Thurakitbandit University posted online that the matter had already been reported to the appropriate authorities for action. She assured the university's 100,000 students of their commitment to ensuring that qualifications are above board and genuine.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-08

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" Those using the degrees can face the same penalties though just having one made does not actually constitute a crime."

Having a fake degree isn't a crime if you don't use it?

Brilliant.

If you use it, such as getting a job, you are committing fraud. Having one hanging on your wall at home is just ego and no financial damages. smile.png

" Those using the degrees can face the same penalties though just having one made does not actually constitute a crime."

Brilliant.

I have a copy of Nighthawks on my wall. Should that be a crime?

Brilliant.

Yes, if you are referring to the movie staring Sly.

No if you are referring to the the Hopper painting (excellent choice by the way)

However my point is who buys a relatively expensive degree if they don't intend to use it?

Edited by Bluespunk

I wonder how many existing English teachers in Thailand, have one of these.

If you applied with a degree from a Thai uni, your lack of language skills might be a giveaway. OTOH, there was a former PM.....

Indeed. OP caused me to consider the possibility of obtaining a counterfeit degree, indicating graduation from a Uni abroad, to qualify for an English teaching position here.

Yes, you can have a fake degree legally. They are sold as 'novelty'. It's when you try to pass it off as real is when it becomes illegal.

My degree is from the UK. If someone wants to check the validity of my degree they need written/signed permission from me. (Please don't say they don't because they do). Once they have my authorization - they need to pay 54 pounds sterling (let's say 2,400 Baht). They then wait a bit and get an email confirming my attendance.

Schools and universities here don't check this way. Neither do the department of labour or education. They have no idea how to do it, and they wouldn't pay/too lazy to do it anyway.

You'd be surprised just how many teachers are working on fake degrees here, and how many real degree holders are jumping through hoops to prove their degrees validity. But, with the state of the education system here and the low salaries for foreign teachers, what do you expect.

Some will recall the opportunity for a photo with Bill Clinton at DMK: maybe 15 or 20 years ago. A LifeSize cardboard cutout. They did a booming trade with both Thai and farang. It was quite cheap and good quality. I have my pic with Bill and I should imagine thousands of others as well. Someone complained and they got shut down.

Brilliant.

No if you are referring to the the Hopper painting (excellent choice by the way)

However my point is who buys a relatively expensive degree if they don't intend to use it?

Oh dear. Everybody is an art critic. If somebody wants to buy a degree to hang on their wall, it is hardly a crime.

.Remember, I don't know if it's art, but I like it!

Brilliant.

Oh dear. Everybody is an art critic. If somebody wants to buy a degree to hang on their wall, it is hardly a crime.

So a you've a fake fine arts degree perhaps? that explains everything.clap2.gif

Done, now you can call me Dr. gigglem.gif

You can laugh but I know a few people who did this and insisted that people called them doctor. What made me rollover in fits of laughter when I pointed out that the university of Dublin was not in California.biggrin.png

There was an Indian guy with a MBA and DBA on LinkedIn discussion group. He claimed they were from the University of Canterbury in the UK. Had to tell him that university is in New Zealand. The one of that name in the UK was only a Post Office Box in Chesterfield registered to a company based in the Seychelles. Whoops!

Brilliant.

Nobody pays 15,000 for a degree here to just hang on the wall.

People pay millions of dollars for crap to hang on their walls. Thai people pay much more than B15000 for crap to hang around their neck in the belief it will bring luck, protect them or some other BS.

Edited by halloween

People pay millions o dollars for crap to hang on their walls.

True. But that isn't what's going on here.

In the mean time, there's a report by the ILO with some rather scathing comments made about the Thai work force. And that of the AEC in general, excepting Singapore. No mention of degrees, real or fake or if they were taught by ajarn with Thai teachers licenses that were real or fake. The not so funny part is that the precious textile business, and auto parts... which employ many millions of Thai.... are being turned up side down... they won't much longer be about cheap labor, or even mass production.... and lack of real skills, and illiteracy, only pushes it faster in the wrong direction for Thailand. And in this new world a cheaper Baht will not only not help, it will hurt really bad.

Edited by maewang99