Scanning Slides

junglechef

Want to scan my old color and black & white slides (those picture negatives framed by cardboard)

Been to quite a few places and "mai dai" nor does any shop have an suggestions.

Might you have one for me?

Did you ask Khun Jum or Khun Pop at the main "Photo Bug" store on Chiang Puak Rd? 200m north of the moat on the west side of the street,

They are the owners of this chain of very professional photo stores. If anyone knows, it will be them.

I had it done at the Fuji Shop on Sridonchai Rd. Halfway between Pantip Plaza and the river road (next to the 7-11)

It is expensive; about 15 Baht per picture. Normal negatives only cost 2-3 Baht per picture.

A few years ago, when I knew I had to downsize before moving here, I had a problem. I had 35mm slides going back to when I was a teen (yes, they had slides then). Some 4000odd. plus a great many colour and black and white negatives and also prints.

I hunted around and found a Canon printer which did the job perfectly. This scans from either below or above (transmitted or reflected light). It had a set of templates for various sized negatives, and so I scanned B & W and colour negs, all came up in the correct colours, and also the daunting task of scanning all those slides.

A good activity for those winter days, and I worked with a target of 50 slides per day or more. They all had to be dusted, sometimes wiped clean, scanned, (4 per template) photoshopped, as some makes had lost their blue colour, and also titled and dated.

It worked out fine, and some months later I had everything scanned, DVD copies made for the kids, backups made and everything binned.

Surprising how little space it all took up on my hard drive. Everything was saved in jpg format, but really precious family pics I also saved in TIFF, to ensure good prints if ever needed.

So I'd suggest look at the Cannon range. I can't remember the model number, but a browse online or with a catalog and they're sure to have the right thing.

If you'd like a sample of the finished job, PM me.

I bought this one:-

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/scanners/canon/canoscan-9000f-mark-ii-flatbed-film-and-negative-scanner-p018235/

post-35075-0-81339100-1468044605_thumb.j

The CanoScan 9000F Mark II features our Super Toric Lens, delivering pin-sharp scans from edge-to-edge and bright, low noise images. It requires zero warm-up time3 and offers lower power consumption with super-efficient white LEDs. In addition, its Fare Level 3 feature provides dust and scratch removal, along with fading, grain and backlight correction. Plus, its Auto Scan Mode automatically adjusts settings by detecting what you're scanning.

Worked great. thumbsup.gif

1,600bht, shipped from abroad, works really well, I did all my slides before moving out here.

http://www.lazada.co.th/high-resolution-scannerdigital-converts-negatives-slides-photo-scan-film-intl-4375439.html

2,000bht shipped inside Thailand

http://www.lazada.co.th/10mp-35mm-negatives-slides-jpegs-interpolation-4298102.html

Edited by MissAndry

There are a number of dedicated units out there that can be found for below cost on Ebay in mildly used condition. Many people buy the slide scanners, scan all their slides, and then sell the scanner they no longer need. You might want to take your best slides to a pro, but let's face it, out of an old roll of 36 one maybe got two shots worth printing.

The problem with slides is that they must be clean.

Any dust will show up.

I did a thousand or so a year or so back and one batch which I thought I'd cleaned turned out bad with Dust Spots.

Cleaning is time consuming and would explain the high cost per slide.

john

The problem with slides is that they must be clean.

Any dust will show up.

I did a thousand or so a year or so back and one batch which I thought I'd cleaned turned out bad with Dust Spots.

Cleaning is time consuming and would explain the high cost per slide.

john

Yes, dust certainly sticks to slides. I used a combination of puffer brush and also a small lens cleaning cloth made of microfibre.

The worst slides were AGFA, and all slides came back mounted in glass/plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

I had it done at the Fuji Shop on Sridonchai Rd. Halfway between Pantip Plaza and the river road (next to the 7-11)

It is expensive; about 15 Baht per picture. Normal negatives only cost 2-3 Baht per picture.

Thanks for the heads-up.

They wanted 33 bht per slide.

As I had 87 they gave me a discount to 24 bht ea. (after much discussion)

Still cheaper to buy one of the machines recommended in this post.

Looking into that now.