Help with MCB size

adv008

Hi.

I would like to replace my consumer unit and allow room to add two air con units at a later date. My current consumer unit has C20 amp

MCB's for the plug sockets would two separate 20 amp MCB's be ok for future connection of air con. I have been recommended to get all RCBO's and type B. If anyone has some comments that would help I would be grateful. I have all this as new MK stock in the UK and planned to send it over for fitting. Thanks.

If you already purchased in the UK, then bring it on. Otherwise, there is no reason to do that as components are readily available here. In any case, you should put your electric requirements (maximum demand) in a post and get help from the forum. IE: you say adding two AC's. To what? The more detail you provide, the better you get advice.

For example: State your current meter size and incoming mains wire size. State how many circuits you currently have and what they are for. Do you have the capability to easily add more circuits or would that require remodeling?

sorry not sure about the specs (ask Crossy TV mod)

as for send it over for fitting that's where your biggest problem might be not in the sending but who are you getting to fit it ?

excuse me if you already have a competent sparks if not just possible problem saver advise

All but the largest aircons will be fine on 20A breakers, 99% of those supplied in Thailand are "C" curve, they will withstand large start-up surges.

If you are wiring from new or are sure you have no borrowed neutrals then going all RCBO is recommended, but on an older installation you'll be tearing your hair out persuading the beasts to stay turned on.

I don't know the MEM units but if they're DIN mount no point bringing from the UK, plenty of DIN breakers here. If the MEM is special format breakers (plug-in) and not compatible with Schneider (Square-D) you are in for a world of hurt if a breaker fails and you need a new one.

Archived