Dallas police defend use of robot to kill gunman

rooster59

A gun is a machine a robot is a more advanced machine. The human operator of the robot has less chance of being killed than someone using a gun. Next.

Either the stupid or the ignorant are intentionally conflating two things. Using a robot as an extension of the senses- a tool, is not the same as an autonomous device acting on its own accord and killing. One is the AI concern we read so much about, and should be very concerned with.

The other is a screw driver, or even the evolution of a gun of sorts- whereby we take this piece of death over here by us, and send it over there to that guy.

You've lost me........I just don't follow what you're saying/trying to say. Does that make me stupid or ignorant?
No brother, neither. I also could hv skipped that choice of words. It just wasn't polite.

I think this 'tool' is not unlike a drone. Just an extension of eyes and tools forward in the battle space. Like a robot with a shotgun used for detonating bombs. i see no ethical quandary about using such tools- properly.

* while the same its my position drones are used improperly. But essentially same category.

i see no ethical quandary about using such tools- properly.

Methinks thou dream.

When was technology ever not abused for the benefit of the rich and powerful?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No brother, neither. I also could hv skipped that choice of words. It just wasn't polite.

I think this 'tool' is not unlike a drone. Just an extension of eyes and tools forward in the battle space. Like a robot with a shotgun used for detonating bombs. i see no ethical quandary about using such tools- properly.

* while the same its my position drones are used improperly. But essentially same category.

i see no ethical quandary about using such tools- properly.

Methinks thou dream.

When was technology ever not abused for the benefit of the rich and powerful?

Gosh, I do not know. I suppose you are correct. Only I was not remotely addressing that point. My dreaming is not required to support your conclusion.

I spoke to category differences between autonomous devices and those which are an extension of our senses- a tool. The method used by police in this instance was no more than a tool. It poses no unique ethical quandaries that have not already been exercised from the era of slingshot, cows over walls, or sappers under walls. It is an extension.

*edited for space