It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you're paying for advertising on the site, I can't really see why you would care.

A reasonable comment, to which I will attempt a reasonable reply.

I am an honest man and a professional man, and I don't like cheating.

It's a balancing act, honesty in Thailand is scarce enough, but there I don't think we should stop looking for it on the basis that there 's not much of it around. You might observe that if I don't like it I could always leave, and of course you'd be quite right, but there are benefits in being able to talk sensibly to those members who are able to talk sensibly, and that has value for me. Like many people, I seek out intelligent company. That must be balanced against what one is seen to be associating with. There are other forums, one or two of which I've dabbled in, none of which I've been impressed by, and at least one of which seems to be populated exclusively by young laddish boys and sex addicts. Call me picky, but I just can't be comfortable in that environment, or indeed in any environment where one's testicles have a larger influence over one's behaviour than does one's brain.

The history of TV has been somewhat chequered, this much is common knowledge - there's plenty of history to be found on the web. I will speak frankly and say that were it not for the new management, I would not be here, which is the consequence, essentially, of my dislike of cheating and sharp practice and I'm convinced, that I'm very far from being alone in this respect. I believe that the new management, as I observed in a different thread has and had an opportunity to set aside any legacy in that regard, and establish some standards of honesty and professionalism. I do understand that TV is dependent upon advertising, and has an interest in maximising their claimed membership (and consequently the exposure of advertising), however blatant misrepresentation needs to be be avoided in my opinion because it's a short-term approach and an advertiser lost because of dishonesty will generally not come back any time soon. In my view, some of the former behaviour by management and unpaid staff (whose behaviour will always follow what they consider to be the lead provided by management) should be set aside in favour of making TV less 'entrepreneur-ish', and more professional. I acknowledge that in Thailand 'professionalism' is a somewhat hazy concept and greatly outweighed by money-grabbing--ism, but I firmly believe 80% or perhaps even 90% of people would prefer honesty and professionalism, given the choice.

Apologies for being a bit wind-baggy, but you invited a response, since a response was invited I consider it my obligation to provide an honest one. There will be some who don't agree, and still others who prefer an 'entrepreneurish' atmosphere. I wish those people well but I'm not one of them.

Have a great day.

Winnie

Succint and likely agreeable to the generally silent majority .smile.png

Unless you're paying for advertising on the site, I can't really see why you would care.

A reasonable comment, to which I will attempt a reasonable reply.

I am an honest man and a professional man, and I don't like cheating.

It's a balancing act, honesty in Thailand is scarce enough, but there I don't think we should stop looking for it on the basis that there 's not much of it around. You might observe that if I don't like it I could always leave, and of course you'd be quite right, but there are benefits in being able to talk sensibly to those members who are able to talk sensibly, and that has value for me. Like many people, I seek out intelligent company. That must be balanced against what one is seen to be associating with. There are other forums, one or two of which I've dabbled in, none of which I've been impressed by, and at least one of which seems to be populated exclusively by young laddish boys and sex addicts. Call me picky, but I just can't be comfortable in that environment, or indeed in any environment where one's testicles have a larger influence over one's behaviour than does one's brain.

The history of TV has been somewhat chequered, this much is common knowledge - there's plenty of history to be found on the web. I will speak frankly and say that were it not for the new management, I would not be here, which is the consequence, essentially, of my dislike of cheating and sharp practice and I'm convinced, that I'm very far from being alone in this respect. I believe that the new management, as I observed in a different thread has and had an opportunity to set aside any legacy in that regard, and establish some standards of honesty and professionalism. I do understand that TV is dependent upon advertising, and has an interest in maximising their claimed membership (and consequently the exposure of advertising), however blatant misrepresentation needs to be be avoided in my opinion because it's a short-term approach and an advertiser lost because of dishonesty will generally not come back any time soon. In my view, some of the former behaviour by management and unpaid staff (whose behaviour will always follow what they consider to be the lead provided by management) should be set aside in favour of making TV less 'entrepreneur-ish', and more professional. I acknowledge that in Thailand 'professionalism' is a somewhat hazy concept and greatly outweighed by money-grabbing--ism, but I firmly believe 80% or perhaps even 90% of people would prefer honesty and professionalism, given the choice.

Apologies for being a bit wind-baggy, but you invited a response, since a response was invited I consider it my obligation to provide an honest one. There will be some who don't agree, and still others who prefer an 'entrepreneurish' atmosphere. I wish those people well but I'm not one of them.

Have a great day.

Winnie

Succint and likely agreeable to the generally silent majority .smile.png

Hopefully yes.

From an earlier post ....

.''What we fail to see here is the amount of expats

that did not partake in the survey, (884)''.

Perhaps the other ump-t-ump thousands were too busy to complete the survey. Busy vacuuming their swimming pools, frolicking in their swimming pools with their slim and pretty young wives. Tending the tropical plants around their detached well maintained house surrounded by half an acre of lawns. 'Supervising' the maid and checking the chef's delicious Asian food menu for the evening's after- golf pool party with fellow expats taking time off from all the above . By the way I live up in the NE on the edge of a friendly quiet little village.

Any moaners out there would perhaps prefer to return home and live in a street with migrants living all around you, terrible weather and refuse collections every three weeks , clearing the ice from the path, filling your car at a wet and windy filling station and having to make an appointment to see a doctor....that's if he/she is not on strike.

To all the moaners out there the choice is yours !

It's not the 1rst of April, so, is it exact that the new owner of Thaivisa.com is Thai?

Nope: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/852669-choice-group-asia-acquire-thaivisa-media-group-to-become-the-biggest-foreign-media-in-thailand/

I reckon they bought the forum to push their real estate business, where the profits come from. Non-delirious expats aren't good for biznez.

I enjoyed my few years living and working in Thailand. I enjoy going back for visits with the wife. The only major downside for me personally is the heat and humidity otherwise it's a great place. I feel safe there, never had any run-ins with anyone and love the food!

So according the the link that DrTurner has kindly supplied, ThaiVisa has 1.5 million visitors a month and 300000 subscribers but yet only 884 people participated in the survey and yet they question why so many members had nothing but negative responses to this thread and the corresponding thread which defended such ludicrous results.

So according the the link that DrTurner has kindly supplied, ThaiVisa has 1.5 million visitors a month and 300000 subscribers but yet only 884 people participated in the survey and yet they question why so many members had nothing but negative responses to this thread and the corresponding thread which defended such ludicrous results.

Maybe the time was wrong, it's low season now, and Pattaya is not so attractive to people that live here in Monsoon time. Most of the subscribers might only attend Thai Visa when it's vacation time. I would try to repeat the survey in October or November, when people get curious about a cheap accommodation in Pattaya.

Archived