Investing in the SET - where to learn?

Two things to add to the reference to Schwab,. Excellent trades when it's a Thai stock, all handled by Phatra. But the shares, as always with non Thai brokers are held in nominee name, without even for the asking and even if you ask otherwise..... because the first thing to know about the Thai stock market is that the dividends give an extra kick of the corporate tax paid ahead of the dividend, if you are in Thailand for 180 days in any tax year. The kick is usually worth 3/7 of the dividend paid so a 7% yielding Thai stock actually has a cash payout of 10%. Very nice. I've been filing for these more than 10 years in a row. You keep the orange mailer from the TSD. As for the general gist, the Thai stock market is great because it is one market run by a single computer system, except for a few big lot outside trades. Everyone has a fair shot, and you can act as a market maker yourself. That's one way to work it. Books! Al Brooks trilogy. Very difficult to read, because he was a real trader. But if you can pick up the gist of it... it works in heady markets, which we are headed for now I think. Especially with DW warrants, whereas you can instantly go short as well as long on most Thai bigcaps. Enjoy! And profit! Brooks books are titled about "Price Action". You have to have nerves of steel, though, because the market almost always moves against you for a short time. Always. And number 1, if you ain't at least a little bit scared... you are making a mistake. A good trade is always hard to do. That's not Brook's, but you know it applies everywhere but especially here I think. The action is short timed, as the undervalued long term picks either are very rare (were bought in on as we went from 300 to 1,400 on the general SET index) or already in play.. but there are still a few!

Is this corporation tax kick back already taken into account in the dividend payout or something that needs to be claimed from the tax office seperately. I have been investing small amounts in the SET for a couple of years and have a few of the TSCD slips but, since i don't pay any tax here, had not looked into wether any of the tax was reclaimable.

As a source for info on Thai shares thaicapitalist.com has some useful insights. Also the Maybank website or app (i find the app better) has a few useful tools and research notes on Thai companies, sectors and the market as a whole though they do seem to be over bullish in quite a few cases IMHO.

The dividend statement has the tax credit written on it. To claim it back you will need to add all of your dividend to your income and file a tax return

How do you get the dividend statement - email, post? Maybank told me that the dividend would go to my bank account(my offshore trading account)

The tax refund thing is so big a deal that for many small caps.... management gives out their net tax rate along with their quarterly comments that are put on the SET website... because they know how many folks want to know that. It can be great fun to press F5 to see your company's quarterly reports show up, every 3 months. The data that shows up on the orange mailers isn't too easy to decipher as well. My point, the refund thing is really big for many folks. Also, about this, unlike western markets, Thai stocks don't always or even usually drop by the XD amount... a very telling signal about how much the Thai market is retail versus institutional.. and yet another reason why a little guy or gal can do well here but not back home where the rocket scientist munchkins do stuff like trade in "dark pools" and go around your own trades to make even more money off of you. Here a click of your mouse is almost just as good, or better than, one done by a Phatra back office girl in Bangrak. The big guys are not that automated... and the tons of retail traders outweigh them here as well. Believe me. Even the big DW warrant programs seem to be so.

Do you have data that shows thai stocks do not usually drop by the XD amount?

That is highly irrational behavior if true..

I suspect this would be anecdotal observations without accounting for the sector/index gain for the day and any relevant news.

If what you allege is true, why do you tell people? Why not profit from it?

Two things to add to the reference to Schwab,. Excellent trades when it's a Thai stock, all handled by Phatra. But the shares, as always with non Thai brokers are held in nominee name, without even for the asking and even if you ask otherwise..... because the first thing to know about the Thai stock market is that the dividends give an extra kick of the corporate tax paid ahead of the dividend, if you are in Thailand for 180 days in any tax year. The kick is usually worth 3/7 of the dividend paid so a 7% yielding Thai stock actually has a cash payout of 10%. Very nice. I've been filing for these more than 10 years in a row. You keep the orange mailer from the TSD. As for the general gist, the Thai stock market is great because it is one market run by a single computer system, except for a few big lot outside trades. Everyone has a fair shot, and you can act as a market maker yourself. That's one way to work it. Books! Al Brooks trilogy. Very difficult to read, because he was a real trader. But if you can pick up the gist of it... it works in heady markets, which we are headed for now I think. Especially with DW warrants, whereas you can instantly go short as well as long on most Thai bigcaps. Enjoy! And profit! Brooks books are titled about "Price Action". You have to have nerves of steel, though, because the market almost always moves against you for a short time. Always. And number 1, if you ain't at least a little bit scared... you are making a mistake. A good trade is always hard to do. That's not Brook's, but you know it applies everywhere but especially here I think. The action is short timed, as the undervalued long term picks either are very rare (were bought in on as we went from 300 to 1,400 on the general SET index) or already in play.. but there are still a few!

Is this corporation tax kick back already taken into account in the dividend payout or something that needs to be claimed from the tax office seperately. I have been investing small amounts in the SET for a couple of years and have a few of the TSCD slips but, since i don't pay any tax here, had not looked into wether any of the tax was reclaimable.

As a source for info on Thai shares thaicapitalist.com has some useful insights. Also the Maybank website or app (i find the app better) has a few useful tools and research notes on Thai companies, sectors and the market as a whole though they do seem to be over bullish in quite a few cases IMHO.

The dividend statement has the tax credit written on it. To claim it back you will need to add all of your dividend to your income and file a tax return

How do you get the dividend statement - email, post? Maybank told me that the dividend would go to my bank account(my offshore trading account)

For each dividend payment you get a notification by mail direct from the Thailand Securities Depositary which gives you all the details including tax paid. Payments are made directly to your bank account - i use an SCB account specifically for dealing with Maybank as i can also use it to send money to them for buying shares.