Restaurant staffed with Vietnamese

WilliamCave

I was out to a restaurant last night and the staff were about 12 Vietnamese with 2 Thai staff.

Is this part of the AEC free movement of labour ?

Many of the restaurants in my area employ Burmese I am near bang Yai in Nontaburi

Assuming they aren't illegal, two likely options:

- Thailand did take in some Vietnamese in the 50s and 60s, most notably Ho Chi Minh himself. There is still a small community mainly in the north east. I once met a old lady crossing into Laos. Fluent in Thai but using a VN passport and has lived most of her life Thailand.

- Vietnamese are now eligible for the same migrant labour permits that the Cambodians, Laotians and Burmese have been able to get.

Edited by samran

Definitely not.

The ASEAN Economic Community allows the free movement of labour for eight professions at this point in time: engineering, nursing, architecture, medicine, dentistry, tourism, surveying and accounting.

They probably couldn't find Thai staff to work for a similar wage.

How can we have so many Burmese gardeners, contructionworkers, landworkers if those are the rules?

Not to mention the loads of Indian salesguys i saw on the street many years ago.

Definitely not.

The ASEAN Economic Community allows the free movement of labour for eight professions at this point in time: engineering, nursing, architecture, medicine, dentistry, tourism, surveying and accounting.

Not correct, there is no free movement of labour.

Definitely not.

How can we have so many Burmese gardeners, contructionworkers, landworkers if those are the rules?

Not to mention the loads of Indian salesguys i saw on the street many years ago.

Burmese can work under the migrant labour program.

The Indians most likely have Thai citizenship.

Definitely not.

Indian sales guys are usually Nepalese that migrated to Burma and then Thailand.

A very high percentage of workers in the service industry are foreigners. It has always been this way.

I would think the Thais are too lazy, or just refuse to work for the wage offered at these establishments.

Definitely not.

Indian sales guys are usually Nepalese that migrated to Burma and then Thailand.

Yup they were Nepalese iirc. They were all over the sidewalks selling touriststuff and annoying them.

It will be fun to see farang working in Thailand who have another Asian passport.

Definitely not.

How can some from Nepal be Indian? The Indian sales guys are Sikhs who are Thai citizens. Sikhs have been living in Thailand for the last 150 years.

Definitely not.

How can some from Nepal be Indian? The Indian sales guys are Sikhs who are Thai citizens. Sikhs have been living in Thailand for the last 150 years.

What he was calling Indians are actually Nepalese. The Sikhs are easy to recognize because of the turban.

Well it was like 6 years ago on the road from Karon to Kata beach in Phuket. There were 100 of them selling souvenhirs and they all spoke good english (compared to the Thai) with Indian accents.

Even if they all live in Thailand for ages how can a group like that suddenly take the whole street? Oh well, in Phuket anything is possible.

Some months ago i saw a farang selling shawarma on a busy market in BKK, he had the real grillmachine and all but it was soo crowded i couldn't buy from him.

There are a lot of viet workers especially in the restaurants and service industries throughout Bangkok. I just went to a up market viet restaurant last week and had all vietnamese staff.

Thailand has recently announced it is now looking at Vietnamese for for filling different trades, services and manufacturing as the demand now cannot keep up due to Thais are not in the game anymore. Also now looking at the streets and services its sad to see that there are so many Burmese and other neighbours doing trade selling goods that Thais did.

Edited by thaipod