Particles

ourmanflint

Are particles "words" strictly speaking , do they have meaning??

ก็ I seem to be coming across this and others more and more as I get deeper into learning Thai, does anyone have any suggestions of ways to use it apart from ก็ไ ko dai and แล้วก laeo ko? It seems to be a pretty flexible whatever it is.

And the วะ wa particle, I've been told to not use it! But I hear it quite a lot usually girls though but even on TV, or is that Waa and I misheard it??

Cheers

:o

วะ is considered rude, and yes, despite this, it is used quite a lot, for example after อะไร. A milder variant which is pretty popular, is ฟะ. Not that I can say for sure, but I think it would be difficult to confuse with ว่า because the vowel is much longer, and the falling tone distinct. วะ, in contrast, has a very short and abrupt vowel sound.

A general note after that is, that peers and very close friends can use rude language amongst each other. When otherwise polite people get a friend from their high school days on the phone, they often slip into กู - มึง talk which would be totally inappropriate with someone they did not know as well.

Few farang are considered part of that inner circle. And at any rate it is often not a good idea to use rude words before you feel very comfortable with the language and the people you are talking to.

Try a Language forum specific search for ก็ ... it has been discussed before.

The short version is that it has many different uses and is more common in speech than in writing.

In the very informative section Translateit! in Bangkok Post, translation teachers warn against the overuse of ก็ - in not so few cases it can be ommitted without changing the meaning of a sentence.

Just had alook at the translate it section at Bangkok Post ( thanks for the pointer) and I came across this: ความว่าอะไร first off I don't really understand it, but secondly I think I must be hearing ว่า, and thinking it is วะ.

Tried to search for ก, but can't copy the upper syllable into search, as you can see, and ko returns an error, the search here is very weak, that's why I and others I suspect resort to asking new questions.

Edited by ourmanflint

Just had alook at the translate it section at Bangkok Post ( thanks for the pointer) and I came across this: ความว่าอะไร first off I don't really understand it, but secondly I think I must be hearing ว่า, and thinking it is วะ.

Tried to search for ก, but can't copy the upper syllable into search, as you can see, and ko returns an error, the search here is very weak, that's why I and others I suspect resort to asking new questions.

You need to search ก็ not ก

ก็ ( ก้อ- ) gôr

as a result ; subsequently, also ; likewise

here are a couple of exmples I got.

ก็ได้ gôr dâai all right, OK, fine

แล้วก็ láew gôr and then,and after that

ก็เลย gôr loie as a result

ก็ดี gôr dee be quite good, be not bad

ก็ตาม gôr dtaam no matter ; whatever

ก็แล้วกัน gôr láew gan as you like it

ก็แล้วแต่ gôr láew dtàe up to, upon

ก็เพราะว่า gôr prór wâa because,as, since