Where is the best place to buy a second hand cheap scooter?

sunfruitdan

How cheap are you expecting/looking for?

One thing about scooters here is the "really" cheap ones are just clapped out

But if you can handle at least 20-25k you can get a really decent low mileage one in many places

Come to Raumchok market on Mae Jo Road,turn in

just after McDonalds,go to back,many motorcycles

for sale there,even more on Saturday ,Sunday,how

cheap will depend on how good your bargaining skills

are.

regards Worgeordie

Thai Visa or bahtsold are good sources of online ads, or Ruamchok market on the Mae Jo road as previously mentioned. Be prepared to pay 20-25K for a scooter, look for ones that have less than 10,000 km on the odometer. Less likely to get the odometer wound back if it's a private sale.

Vespas are way overpriced for what you get IMHO. Hondas command a higher price because they are more popular with Thais. I own a second hand Yamaha I bought for 24,000 baht with 8000 km on the odometer, and it's never given any trouble.

But if you can handle at least 20-25k you can get a really decent low mileage one in many places

"Any recommendations please?"

"you can get a really decent low mileage one in many places"

I'm sure the OP appreciates your recommendation. All you have to do now is give him the directions to get to "many places" & I'm sure he'll be on his way.

In 2010, I bought a Honda Airblade 2006 automatic with 20K for 19000THB at a second hand dealer by the Sunday Market street, few blocks from the Ta Phae Gate. All their bikes lined by the street had a good price, looking brand new, very low mileage. This hard to find bike was for sale in other places for up to 25000THB. I was happy with the "deal"....saving good money.

Few weeks later I had mechanical problems, spend 2000THB, Still with problems, and finally I checked the bike with the Honda dealer. They told me to sell it fast because the bike had at least 10 times more Km, was totally and cheap repainted, and probably was a rental. To fix the engine the estimate was over 5000THB, no warranties. I didn't fixed, I didn't registered in my name. They offered 5000THB in trading.

A village mechanic did a temporary "adjustment" for 500THB, and he placed the bike for sale for 18000THB with 500THB comission. A Thai buyer drove and inspected the bike like an expert. Just come to meet me to give me the money, and he was very impressed and happy by the looks and performance of the bike, and to got it for 17000THB.

Probably you may find really good deals, and get lucky, if not scammed, by a dealer, by a mechanic, or by an owner. I still feeling bad about the Thai buyer, I know that he got into trouble......with the mechanic.

I was lucky losing just 6000THB, plus my time and stress, with the all "deal".

If you see it for sale...now you know

post-231810-0-22630000-1468545139_thumb.

Edited by Muzarella

In 2010, I bought a Honda Airblade 2006 with 20K for 19.000THB at a second hand dealer by the main road, few blocks from the Ta Phae Gate. All their bikes had a good price, looking brand new, very low mileage. The hard to find bike was for sale in other places for up to 25000THB. I was happy with the "deal"....saving good money.

Few weeks later I had mechanical problems, spend 2000THB, Still with problems, and finally I checked the bike with the Honda dealer. They told me to sell it fast because the bike had at least 10 times more Km, was totally and cheap repainted, and probably was a rental. To fix the engine the estimate was over 5000THB, no warranties. I didn't fixed, I didn't registered in my name. They offered 5000THB in trading.

A village mechanic did a temporary "adjustment" for 500THB, and he placed the bike for sale for 18000 THB with 500THB comission. A Thai buyer drove and inspected the bike like an expert. Just come to meet me to give me the money, and he was very impressed and happy by the looks and performance of the bike, and to got it for 17000THB.

Probably you may find really good deals, and get lucky, if not scammed, by a dealer, by a mechanic, or by an owner. I still feeling bad about the Thai buyer, I know that he got into trouble......with the mechanic.

I was lucky losing just 6000THB, plus my time and stress, with the all the "deal".

attachicon.gifHouse-motobike.jpg

No, we don't know, because the licence number of the bike is not disclosed in the post. My preference is to buy privately from a falang; however, your post indicates it isn't only Thais that will pull a swifty.

In 2010, I bought a Honda Airblade 2006 with 20K for 19.000THB at a second hand dealer by the main road, few blocks from the Ta Phae Gate. All their bikes had a good price, looking brand new, very low mileage. The hard to find bike was for sale in other places for up to 25000THB. I was happy with the "deal"....saving good money.

A village mechanic did a temporary "adjustment" for 500THB, and he placed the bike for sale for 18000 THB with 500THB comission. A Thai buyer drove and inspected the bike like an expert. Just come to meet me to give me the money, and he was very impressed and happy by the looks and performance of the bike, and to got it for 17000THB.

I was lucky losing just 6000THB, plus my time and stress, with the all the "deal".

attachicon.gifHouse-motobike.jpg

No, we don't know, because the licence number of the bike is not disclosed in the post. My preference is to buy privately from a falang; however, your post indicates it isn't only Thais that will pull a swifty.

You are right...WE are not Saint too....with few exceptions. Anyway.... still not many Airblade on the market. In 2006 was the top of the line and very expensive.

Edited by Muzarella

My wife is selling her Honda Click automatic she bought it new in 2008, now with just 9700 kilometers. Pristine condition and always serviced by the local Honda Dealer.

We owns 2 cars, and she only is using the bike for local errands.

Asking 20000THB

"Any recommendations please?"

"you can get a really decent low mileage one in many places"

I'm sure the OP appreciates your recommendation. All you have to do now is give him the directions to get to "many places" & I'm sure he'll be on his way.

555 Yeah sorry I do not check in that often..........

Basically there are so many used bike shops in CM cruise around & look

Or you can go with the bigger ones along side places like Niyom Panich etc

They take trade in's service them & then sell

Also Face book now has many 2nd hand Chiangmai type groups many scoots

BahtSold

Of course

Craigslist etc etc

Best of all is if you can read Thai then similar Thai based sites like Kaidee

Have great deals

But...Basically you will not have a problem finding a decent scoot for 20-25k in any case

I realize the tone of your question was snippy & maybe your not even interested but its the truth wink.png

Good Luck

PS: Even I will be selling a 2012 Honda Wave 125 FI at the end of the month

I bought it new with electric Start in June 2012...Perfect condition ..better shocks & tires added

Has only 24k kilometers ...I paid 53k baht & I will be selling it for half price or roughly 25k

But my manager has already said she wants to buy it... wink.png

Edited by mania

Heading south down Hang Dong Rd, near the turn off to Night Safari are 2 motor car dealerships, Mazda and Chrysler, I think.Next door is a compound with many motor bikes for sale.

Mostly reposessions. Mate bought a very low mileage Honda re posessed in Pattaya. Paid 23,000 b,18 mths old.Had had it nearly 9 mths not a single problem.

Best to take a Thai speaking person with you I guess,he did.I think Saturday is the day.

So i have to ask. You take a Thai speaking person to barter get the price down; but farang must show up at some stage for transition of ownership, doesnt the seller then get angry/feel deceived?

"doesn't the seller then get angry/feel deceived?"

So what ! I'm sure most expats get somewhat angry with all the dual pricing & other such scams. There ain't no level playing fields here. We're just playing by their rules.

But, just my opinion.

Hello, I am looking to buy a second hand cheap scooter but i have no idea where to look locally or online. Any recommendations please?

Online use kaidee type in english but best get a thai to help configure proximity if cannot read thai.

You will find one for 10-12k easy.

Got 2 honda clicks 1 has 200k on odometer runs great mrs had it from new so aprox 9 years old. Other we gave to her father for farm but it was ok it had 140k was not as good as other but paid 11000 baht for it.

Private sellers on kaidee as well as dealers. Kaidee is the one if you can spot a decent runner.

Kaidee is the best and you can add translation "extension" to your browser to read it in English. Some of the translations are quite funny, but you get the idea.

Hello, I am looking to buy a second hand cheap scooter but i have no idea where to look locally or online. Any recommendations please?

Online use kaidee type in english but best get a thai to help configure proximity if cannot read thai.

You will find one for 10-12k easy.

Got 2 honda clicks 1 has 200k on odometer runs great mrs had it from new so aprox 9 years old. Other we gave to her father for farm but it was ok it had 140k was not as good as other but paid 11000 baht for it.

Private sellers on kaidee as well as dealers. Kaidee is the one if you can spot a decent runner.

• 4 weeks later...