Air conditioning, dogs

cooked

I asked the Nissan guys to look at the air conditioning on our Almera (80 000Km). As we know, loss of power on air conditioning is almost unnoticeable as it happens so slowly, but I did eventually decide that it needed checking. (first time in nearly four years).

So they are replacing something or another in the A/C system and have cleaned the tubes and stuff. I didn't see it but my wife said it was full of dog hairs.

Our dogs don't really lose hairs, and as the air intake is outside the car, I should never have thought that this would be a problem.

So I have two solutions: take dogs, no A/C, or

no take dogs?

Of course I can just resign myself to the fact that I have to have the A/C looked at every year, or am I asking for trouble if I just carry on as before?

The air filters for the A/C are inside the car, when A/C on it circulates throughout the car and passes through these filters, and does not draw air from the outside.

Filters need to be cleaned/ changed about every two years

Sometime is correct.....

Plus - you might not think your dogs shed - but they do....

I read about dogs & cats shedding a few years ago because I'm semi allergic to the dander & it's

phenomenal the amount that they shed even if completely healthy.....

Package that up in a confined space while you're recirculating air after getting into a car on a hot day & there's probably quite a lot....And quite possibly not healthy to breathe....You can't put your lungs in a shop once a year & have them cleaned out.....

To not use the AC would actually cause more shedding (without filtering) it's part of a dogs cooling down process....

There's the Dash Control for choosing either Outside / or Recirculate, and the air will be drawn from the respective input, irregardless of whether the aircon is On or off.

Look inside under your Dashboard, and following the input air tubing, from the firewall, before the fan motor assy, and you may also find another filter, which is the first line of defence from inputting dirty cabin air

That one is for reducing cabin dust entering the fan assy area...

On many models, the 'aircon' filter may be found, and extractable, vertically, from somewhere under the air tubing within the Dash, before the Evaporator.

That one is for reducing dust getting in onto the evaporator fins assy

Honestly, it cannot be that expensive to conduct air con maintenance...wouldn't you rather pay that small fee to have your best friends with you when you are out and about? my dog easily costs me about 500 baht in maintenance, beyond food...tons of flea medicine and allergy medicine...i could just leave him at home and save 500 baht, but i enjoy having him with me when i walk..6000 baht a year isn't too much to keep him happy...

Honestly, it cannot be that expensive to conduct air con maintenance...wouldn't you rather pay that small fee to have your best friends with you when you are out and about? my dog easily costs me about 500 baht in maintenance, beyond food...tons of flea medicine and allergy medicine...i could just leave him at home and save 500 baht, but i enjoy having him with me when i walk..6000 baht a year isn't too much to keep him happy...

I agree, take the dogs with you. They won't be around forever!

A related question: my car's fan isn't as powerful as it used to be (at least as far as I can tell). Could there be dog fur wrapped around the spindle, or perhaps on the fan blades?

you be getting brown smells by now from the friction

smelly singed dog fur mmmmmmm

I get my garage to clean the fan and filter at every service, though it is only actually required every 2 years. It takes them under 10 minutes. Both are always very dirty even though I dont use the vehicle much and the air intake setting has been on "recycle" since the day it was bought. You can feel the difference when it has been cleaned.

Quite right. Where I come from, the garage actually tell you that certain things need to be done, it took me two years to realise that they weren't checking the tyres, and in this case four years to realise that they weren't checking the air conditioning. I am now wondering what else they aren't checking.

RANT following:

Going further into the problems that I had with Nissan, what should have been a one hour, ฿2000.- job turned, step by step, into a ฿3000 two hour job, a finished in four hours job, a ฿5000.-, finished tonight job, a finished in three days job, estimated cost not known, into a 'you can take the car with you now when we went back to extract our groceries from the car the same day, JOB'. That's why I asked the question initially.

My wife can make the tool boxes rattle when she feels like it and she did, obviously our fault to judge by the long faces we got when we had to go back again the next day to get the car back, total cost ฿2836, I am now wondering if I can trust them again, I can change oil and filter myself.

I have discovered that turning off the air conditioning is a bad idea as various joins in the system can dry out and start to leak.

So dogs it is and clean the system every year / 18 months. But not at Nissan.

Archived