Step-down transformer wattage

Hornyskunk

What capacity (wattage) should I get for a step-down transformer to run a 42-inch TV with a matching 42-inch sound bar?

Any brand or specific model recommendations?

Any other advice? I've never used a transformer before.

I realize bringing a TV and sound bar from the US was a stupid idea, which is why both have been sitting in storage unused for a year and a half.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Hornyskunk

If you brought them from the USA, they should have a label that calls out the volts and the wattage.

Add 'em up and multiply by 2 for a safety factor... You don't want your transformer to get hot enough to start a fire.

You may also find out that they can take 220V since a lot of electronics are made for international markets and it's not expensive to set them up for dual voltage any more. That info will be on the same label. It may require flipping a 110/220 switch, or it may not require any anything but plugging them in.

Not universally true, since I have blown up the power supplies of 110V electronics with 220V, but that was over 10 years ago.

TV is normally around 200W and the sound system you need to check on the output of the speakers then as one post says add on some and go for that.

Depends on the type. My 42' plasma TV uses 389 watts, my 32" LED only 49 watts.

Thanks for all the replies.

The TV and sound bar both require 120v 50Hz according to their stickers. According to the wattage on those stickers, I could get away with using a 500w transformer or even less.

I recently got a 2000w transformer from Amorn (overkill, I know), but it blew its fuse when I tried to plug it in. If anyone can help with this problem, I started a new topic here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/932952-transformer-blowing-fuse/