Giant head modeled after famous monk scares, offends Thai Buddhists

webfact

Giant head modeled after famous monk scares, offends Thai Buddhists
By Coconuts Bangkok

head2.jpg
Photo: Kaweelux Srithairax/ Unseen Tour Thailand

BANGKOK: -- A viral photo of a giant sculpture of the head of a respected monk, known locally as "Luang Pu Thuat," who lived in Thailand the 1500s, sparked a controversy online as some deem it is not appropriate.

Because many Thai Buddhists believe amulets, sculptures, and images of Luang Pu Thuat are sacred and hold great protective powers, Baan Pho temple, in Chachoengsao, is raising funds to build the biggest sculpture of the famous monk in the Eastern region. So what’s the problem? They haven’t finished building his body.

While the temple’s intention was to build an image of Luang Pu Thuat, who people believe performed “miracles” in his day, for locals to worship, some people said showing the great monk with his head cut off is offensive.

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/14/giant-head-modeled-after-famous-monk-scares-offends-thai-buddhists

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-15

I do love when expats say 'Buddhism' is a not a religion. He wasn't a god. Well, there are no such things as gods (Cantona excluded).

What there is though - is many people worshiping a person, people or a thing in the hope of getting money, power, good next life, etc in return.

We really are a selfish, ignorant self-indulged species.

I do love when expats say 'Buddhism' is a not a religion. He wasn't a god. Well, there are no such things as gods (Cantona excluded).

What there is though - is many people worshiping a person, people or a thing in the hope of getting money, power, good next life, etc in return.

It is essentially not a religion as religions have at their core the assumption of the existence of a god. Buddhism does not have that core value. It does not deny the existence but neither does it speculate on the existence of a god

It is essentially not a religion as religions have at their core the assumption of the existence of a god. Buddhism does not have that core value. It does not deny the existence but neither does it speculate on the existence of a god

It's a religion.

It's a religion.

Simple minded people treat it as a religion. However gandalf12 has concisely given the reason why (and informed practitioners would agree with him) it does not qualify as one.

Can you give an equally concise reason as to why it does qualify as a religion?

Edited by Enoon

Will this be the genesis of a buddha head thread?

Missus doesn't like looking at the photo above, and always only ever ever has complete Buddha in the house...

... then I reminded her of the LP Jaran Buddha head on my finger, presented to me years back, from one of the palm monks up there in Aphawan...

... but then, mine has shoulders too...

...sure is a surreal photo though, thanks OPadmin

It's a religion.

Simple minded people treat it as a religion. However gandalf12 has concisely given the reason why (and informed practitioners would agree with him) it does not qualify as one.

Can you give an equally concise reason as to why it does qualify as a religion?

Concisely? Because it's the very definition of a religion.

Otherwise, it's still a religion. It may make people who like to practise it uneasy because they don't wanna be tagged as religious, but it is.

If you wanna practise the act of kindness, fairness, equality, peace, etc - do it under the act of 'common sense' and not under the guise of Buddhism.

It's a religion.

Its a con job to keep the peasants and brain dead happy on the belief that there is better ahead. Stops the have nots from wanting what the wealthy already have.

Thank you. Buddhism is not a religion but it is a belief system.

Which idol did Buddha worship?

The Buddha denounced all idols and said so. Nobody listens.

Much as original Christianity had nothing to do with saints, icons and other vestiges of pagan ritual that form a cornerstone of the Roman Catholic church and some of the more doctrinaire Protestant faiths. Original Christianity was a reformation of Judaism.

Unfortunately, many humans are ignorant and require these amulets, and ceremonies etc. It is certainly better than the old practice of human sacrifice or undertaking nonsensical searches for a chalice orfountain of youth or a holy prepuce.

Not all religions assume there is a God....Not all religions care whether there is a God or Gods.... . or if there is... whether or not they are particularly concerned with us.

According to many Buddhists themselves....Buddhism is indeed a religion. It's classified as a Non-Theistic Religion. Myself, as a Buddhist.. I call it a Religious Philosophical way of life..

You're defining "Religion" from a Western, Christian/Judeo/Islamic... (Abrahamic Religion), point of view. That... is a mistake.

Edited by Catoni

.....is the motive reverence....or tourist attraction....I would vote the latter.....

...that is what makes it sick......

...as for the argument......

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (George Carlin)

It's a religion.

Its a con job to keep the peasants and brain dead happy on the belief that there is better ahead. Stops the have nots from wanting what the wealthy already have.

And it keeps the money rolling in.