Staying in Thailand or moving back to UK

grankboy

A good friend was chatting over dinner that he was thinking of going back home, he is married and has 2 children aged 1 and 5 years old, he lives in Hua Hin and says the prices are going up at a good pace. The main reason I think are the schools even private ones are not great here.

He thinks the children could have a much better child hood back in the uk.

The visa for his wife would be easy enough.

Just wanted other people's thoughts on what's better for a young family.

Another note he has rental properties in the UK which brings well enough to live here.

Thanks

Children would certainly get a much better education in the UK. Personally I don't think they would have a better childhood*, which is why I am content to stay here with my 6 year old for the present. There will come a time when I have to bite the bullet and pay mega dosh to put our daughter through a quality international curriculum school or go back home.

*My daughter will be a Thai or Anglo-Thai, not a Brit and I prefer the Thai culture of an extended Isaan family ('running free & happy') to the Brit culture (isolated single family units; 'lock your kids away - it's dangerous out there'). Everyone has their own personal take though.

At 500k-600k a year for international school in my case times 2 about a million baht. I am seriously considering schools in the usa. My thoughts are it doesn't need to be until they are around ten years old. The thai private school should be sufficient for the time being.

So you seem to think a visa is easy for your wife,well mate you have to earn at least about 22,000 pounds for 6 months first and your wife has to stay here,and that is before you can even think about applying for a visa,if you were single it would have been 18.500 pound.

The changes that came into force on 9 July 2012 stipulate that the British spouse has to earn an annual income of £18,600 (and show that he/she has been earning that amount for at least six months) in order to sponsor his/her non-EEA spouse for a visa. The foreign spouse’s income is not taken into account. The financial threshold increases if they have children also in need of sponsorship.

The changes that came into force on 9 July 2012 stipulate that the British spouse has to earn an annual income of £18,600 (and show that he/she has been earning that amount for at least six months) in order to sponsor his/her non-EEA spouse for a visa. The foreign spouse’s income is not taken into account. The financial threshold increases if they have children also in need of sponsorship.

Home schooling would probably be best if one were to remain in Thailand. Would try to find grad students as tutors. In the end, it would probably be cheaper and better.

Your best choices for a normal school experience would be outside of Thailand. Private schools in Malaysia are suppose to be better.

I've been here for 13 years, but have decided life would be better in the UK. My main reason is also for my daughter's education, but I also miss friends and family back home. I try not to let politics bother me wherever I am, and I've had a good job here. However, I really miss the outdoor lifestyle of back home. Too hot for walks outside and never enjoyed playing golf here for this reason. I like the Thai people, but they can keep the mosquitos. Always been impossible to sit in the garden and enjoy a beer coz of the little blighters! One regret is not going last year. I didn't know the visa was going up from £800 to £1500 including the new NHS surcharge of £675. Visa now over two grand! Ouch!

so i am a similar position. 42 years old with rental properties in new zealand. two half thai kids 2 and 5 years old. i love pattaya after living there 10 years but have moved up to esan recently. was going to be a 1 year stay but we have found an excellent school near my girls house that is less than 1000usd per year for the English curriculum. i am now thinking i might stay on up here until the kids get a bit of a grasp on the thai language. is crazy cheap to live up here as well. will do high school for the kids back in nz. think this should be a good balance and they can go to university back there if thats what they want to do.

Compared to Canada's public education, I find the private international schools far superior here but I guess it depends which school. In Canada public schools are suffering severe cut backs, closures and classes are over crowded. Teachers are under paid and often strike which ruins any plans for summer holidays. The cost of private schools in Thailand is expensive but not as expensive as in Singapore or Malaysia. Life in Thailand is good with warm weather and cheap cost of living. Canada is cold and wet most of the time and I guess UK is the same. My 2 highest expenses in Thailand are tuition fees and medical insurance. In Canada my highest expense would be tax and food. That said, I'll still be sending my child to a University in Canada, US or UK.

At 500k-600k a year for international school in my case times 2 about a million baht. I am seriously considering schools in the usa. My thoughts are it doesn't need to be until they are around ten years old. The thai private school should be sufficient for the time being.

My Grandson is going to an International school in Korat run by Singapore. He is learning 3 languages at one time and he is only 6 years old. his I.Q. is up there so i like the idea of stayin till 10, then going to America for higher education,

Will be my son and his wifes decision !!!!! thumbsup.gif

I think if he can afford to go back he should do it for his children's sake. They will get a better education and better chances in life than they will in Thailand. If and or when they come back after their schooldays they will be fluent in English and Thai, can actually think for themselves and will have a world view. Huge advantages.

I think if he can afford to go back he should do it for his children's sake. They will get a better education and better chances in life than they will in Thailand. If and or when they come back after their schooldays they will be fluent in English and Thai, can actually think for themselves and will have a world view. Huge advantages.

think the only chance my kids have of learning thai is if they stay in thailand for the first part of their life. especially written thai. thai kids growing up in a western country will probably not have the motivation to speak or write thai. was planning on relocating back to nz next year but will give it a few more years to give the kids some thai experience. will make the move when my eldest is 10 so he gets a couple years at primary school to be ready for high school.

there is a general feeling by people here that kids should be moved immediately back to a western country but i believe rural thailand is a good place to start their education. gives the kids some balance and variety as well.

Out of interest (but only modest interest at present as I am happy in Isaan with my 6 yo being schooled in a paid for English programme* in a part public/part private junior school), does investment and pension income count as "earning" for UK visa/settlement purposes? For many purposes, particularly taxation "earned income" is a defined term that implies employment.

* 50/50 English Thai and about ThB 50,000 pa with decent/experienced Philippino teachers. I was surprised to find that capability in a $hitkicker amphur town in rural Isaan

Another friend story. Why would he not consult his wife and decide between the two of them as they and the kids are the only ones affected by this. Then you could post for a "friend" we are or are not moving to UK because now that would be a discussion point.

Typical ThaiV "huh-posting" of little value to contributors

I suspect your cynicism about the OP is misplaced. I vote that he is talking about his friend, not as a pretext for himselftongue.png.

Out of interest (but only modest interest at present as I am happy in Isaan with my 6 yo being schooled in a paid for English programme* in a part public/part private junior school), does investment and pension income count as "earning" for UK visa/settlement purposes? For many purposes, particularly taxation "earned income" is a defined term that implies employment.

* 50/50 English Thai and about ThB 50,000 pa with decent/experienced Philippino teachers. I was surprised to find that capability in a $hitkicker amphur town in rural Isaan

imagine how surprised i was when we found Marie catholic school in nang rong burri ram. 22000thb/year for half thai half foreign. extra 2000/year for afterschool classes. school starts 730am finishes 430pm.

I'm nearly 70 years old so definitely not for me, because I'm a older person people like to ask my view on things, I like to ask TV members because most of the feedback is helpful. Thanks for all the comments I like the view of going back when the child is 10.

Another friend story. Why would he not consult his wife and decide between the two of them as they and the kids are the only ones affected by this. Then you could post for a "friend" we are or are not moving to UK because now that would be a discussion point.

Typical ThaiV "huh-posting" of little value to contributors

I suspect your cynicism about the OP is misplaced. I vote that he is talking about his friend, not as a pretext for

What you decide is of little value to me. I was comenting on a post not to you so please keep your snout out of my post and concentrate on your own drivel oink oink

Edited by Deepinthailand

While it certainly is possible to get a good education in UK, it's hardly a certainty, especially for someone who will find him/herself in an alien environment where he is likely to feel marginalized. It seems some people think children can just be uprooted without consequences and that they will be flying back and forth between farang land & Thailand with no social or emotional issues.

There also seems to be a romantic, unrealistic view on how wonderful life is for everyone back in farang land and how surviving the education system back there will ensure a happy life.

A third of working graduates took jobs as cleaners, office juniors and road sweepers six months after leaving university, according to new figures.

Over 60,000 students were in "non-professional" roles, working in areas such as administration and secretarial, skilled trades, service and caring industries and sales and customer service.

The number represents a slight decrease from two years ago, figures published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) showed.

The new data also showed that almost 16,730 were out of work six months after leaving university.

Children would certainly get a much better education in the UK. Personally I don't think they would have a better childhood*, which is why I am content to stay here with my 6 year old for the present. There will come a time when I have to bite the bullet and pay mega dosh to put our daughter through a quality international curriculum school or go back home.

*My daughter will be a Thai or Anglo-Thai, not a Brit and I prefer the Thai culture of an extended Isaan family ('running free & happy') to the Brit culture (isolated single family units; 'lock your kids away - it's dangerous out there'). Everyone has their own personal take though.

I am not that sure that children get, or can get, a better education in the UK. It does depend on where in the UK or which schools. Public (private in the UK),or Grammar etc. Let's be careful before we make statements. As far as international, or bi lingual schools in Thailand are concerned, admittedly, they are expensive, but in quite a few of them the kids do get a proper education and internationally accepted certificates.

Like for like, private or government schools, the U.K. is miles better than Thailand. You can't compare education between 1st and 3rd world countries. That's why a lot of expats go home after all. I've looked at the syllabus for the local primary school at home, and it's a lot more comprehensive than what's on offer in Thailand. In fact, in the 20 years since the English program began here they still don't even have a syllabus! Furthermore, teachers are far more professional. Who would you prefer teaching your child, a university and pgce qualified teacher or a Filipino / Johnny sexpat?

And now the architect of this enlightened, family-friendly piece of legislation is the UK's second woman Prime Minister, our very own Mother Theresa.

So much for women making better leaders than men!