Us Embassy Pension Income Varification Letter

Has anyone gone to the US embassy in the past few months to get a pension income varification letter for thier retirement visa? If so, DID THEY ASK FOR ANY PROOF OF YOUR INCOME? When I went to the embassy two years ago to get that letter, they just handed me a form to fill out stating how much my income was. They did not ask to see any proof at all of my income. Is that still the case? Has anyone personally done it recently?

Also I might add that last year Phuket immigration said that I could use my income letter from the previous year which they had a copy of in the back room. But this year in July the SAME officer said I have to get a new letter every year. He finally agreed to use my letter from two years ago but desided for no logical reason that I needed an additional 100K Baht in the bank more than I really needed to qualify. The typical inconsistancy!

The US Embassy, as of my application in July, does not require proof and you are providing that with your signature.

Believe Immigration now requires backup proof as well as Embassy letter so be prepared to show your paperwork there.

The US Embassy, as of my application in July, does not require proof and you are providing that with your signature.

Believe Immigration now requires backup proof as well as Embassy letter so be prepared to show your paperwork there.

Thanks Lopburi3. I have never heard of immigration wanting to see backup proof. Has anyone else had that experience? Problem is my income comes from investment interest and dividends and I'm not sure if that techniqally qualifies. I really don't want to let 800K sit a Thai bank for three months at less than one percent interest.

I first got such a letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok, around Nov. 2005. I submitted it to the office in Hua Hin, along with bank records that showed the pensions being deposited every month. This year, I renewed it with a fresh letter from US Consulate General in Chiang Mai. Both times, the embassy/consulate just took my word for it, upon penalty of perjury. But both times, I submitted my bank records, and got the visa extended, for retirement.

Most Thai immigration officers are not stupid, and they are well informed. They know that US embassy 'statements' are just statements, with nothing confirmed. So, of course they require more evidence that the American retiree really gets pension income.

We know that most American pensions are permanent, and they don't end or decrease while you're alive. Still, it's reasonable for Thailand to require fresh documentation every year or two, as they wish.

I love the way the Thai's assume all foreigners have pensions.

After all only government officials in LOS get pensions.

Some of us have to live on investment income, which is not so easy to document. :o

Thanks Lopburi3. I have never heard of immigration wanting to see backup proof. Has anyone else had that experience? Problem is my income comes from investment interest and dividends and I'm not sure if that techniqally qualifies. I really don't want to let 800K sit a Thai bank for three months at less than one percent interest.

Ever since around Oct 15th, they have been asking for proof along with the letter from the Embassy.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Ever since around Oct 15th, they have been asking for proof along with the letter from the Embassy.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

If that is true that they have been asking for proof along with the embassy letter since Oct. 15, than since my income is interest from investments, it looks like to be safe I am stuck with leaving 800K in a Thai bank account. So.... my next question to the forum is - does anyone have any ideas about how to get a Thai bank account that pays a decent % interest that is also acceptable to immigration? I have a friend who claims he has an account with Siam Commercial that pays about 5%. I was under the impression that only Thais could get that type of savings account. I am going to check it out soon and will let the forum know what I find out. Meanwhile, any ideas will be appreciated.

If that is true that they have been asking for proof along with the embassy letter since Oct. 15

Why would we say it, if it wasn't true? :o

I have a friend who claims he has an account with Siam Commercial that pays about 5%. I was under the impression that only Thais could get that type of savings account.

It is a Fixed Deposit which all nationalities are allowed.

Click here to see the rates

Fixed Deposit Rates at Banks in Thailand

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

On the fixed deposit I would not assume immigration acceptance without checking with them first. For support (marriage) it was often not accepted from reports but believe retirement may be more acceptable.

Also believe you will need to have a Thai tax ID number to open a fixed account which most retirees probably don't have.

On the fixed deposit I would not assume immigration acceptance without checking with them first. For support (marriage) it was often not accepted from reports but believe retirement may be more acceptable.

In BKK they accept it. A number of clients have a fixed deposit.

Also believe you will need to have a Thai tax ID number to open a fixed account which most retirees probably don't have.

This is if you feel you may be eligible for a waiver of tax( less than 130,000 Baht in income in Thailand) Otherwise they withhold 15% for tax from the interest. It will be paid automatically by the bank if you don't have the tax ID card.

You can apply for a Thai Id, our professional fee is 1,500 Baht and the filing of the year end PND is 500 Baht.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So folks on retirement visas/extensions need to get a Thai tax ID number in order to be eligible for a waiver of a 15% tax that will be automatically paid out of their fixed account?

Is it a waiver of the 15% withholding, or is it a means of obtaining a refund at the end of the year of a 15% tax that will be withheld regardless?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Is this true for non US Embassy letters ?

Are you suppose to be able to show immigration the supporting docs you submitted to your non-US Embassy ?

Edited by Krub

So folks on retirement visas/extensions need to get a Thai tax ID number in order to be eligible for a waiver of a 15% tax that will be automatically paid out of their fixed account?

correct

Is it a waiver of the 15% withholding, or is it a means of obtaining a refund at the end of the year of a 15% tax that will be withheld regardless?

Not sure. Will check.

Is this true for non US Embassy letters ?

Yes and as well Us Embassy letters.

Are you suppose to be able to show immigration the supporting docs you submitted to your non-US Embassy ?

yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

What a lot of 'experts' in this forum fail to understand is that there are many immigration offices throughout Thailand that have their 'own rules' and 'interpretations' regarding documentation requirements. DO NOT attempt to point out the written 'rules' to the officials. You MUST provide the official with the documentation 'they' want.

One immigration office might require one set of documentation for a visa (marriage/retirement) and another immigration office may require a different or additional documentation.

As most of us are aware, the 'new' rules went into effect 1 Oct 2006. Prior to 1 Oct 'it is the assumption' that the 'old' rules applied. Specifically, retirement visa extension. Old rule - 800,000 'on the date of renewal' (or 65,000 per month). New rule - 800,000 for previous 90 days (or 65,000 per month). NOT all immigration offices, as an example, are reguiring under the 'new' rule that you MUST show the 800,000 in a bank account 'prior to the date' of the 'new' rule taking effect. Some, however, may require the 800,000 x 90 days before issuing a visa (regardless of the implementation date).

Therefore, if a person obtained an extension of retirement visa under the old rule of 800,000 in bank for one month, and the persons next visa is coming up for renewal prior to 1 Jan 2007, that person may not be able to get a visa extension unless he had the 800,000 in the bank on 1 Aug, 1 Sep, or 1 Oct 2006. It will make no difference that the effective date is 1 Oct 2006.

My visa expired on 4 Nov and was not renewed under the 'Old' rule because I did not have the 800,000 baht in the bank on 1 Aug 2006. It was my responsibility to know that the rules would be changed on 1 Oct 2006. All my documentation had to be sent to Bangkok for a determination of visa extension.

My point - 'be prepared'. What documentation you used last year may not be vailid this year or any other future year. If you 'think' they may want 'income staements', get them. If you 'think' they may want a letter from embassy, get it. Do not rely on everything you read on this forum.

'Every Immigration Office operates under 'their' own rules.' If everyone would look at the Royal Thai Police website, you will see the list of required documentation. Get that list together and you 'should' be OK. BUT, remember, get documentation from 'old' rule as well as 'new' rules. Do this for every year you plan to remain in Thailand and you 'should' have no problems. I have learned a very important lesson - DO NOT rely on what you read from this forum.

Edited by Thanks2Dell

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

What a lot of 'experts' in this forum fail to understand is that there are many immigration offices throughout Thailand that have their 'own rules' and 'interpretations' regarding documentation requirements. DO NOT attempt to point out the written 'rules' to the officials. You MUST provide the official with the documentation 'they' want.

One immigration office might require one set of documentation for a visa (marriage/retirement) and another immigration office may require a different or additional documentation.

As most of us are aware, the 'new' rules went into effect 1 Oct 2006. Prior to 1 Oct 'it is the assumption' that the 'old' rules applied. Specifically, retirement visa extension. Old rule - 800,000 'on the date of renewal' (or 65,000 per month). New rule - 800,000 for previous 90 days (or 65,000 per month). NOT all immigration offices, as an example, are reguiring under the 'new' rule that you MUST show the 800,000 in a bank account 'prior to the date' of the 'new' rule taking effect. Some, however, may require the 800,000 x 90 days before issuing a visa (regardless of the implementation date).

Therefore, if a person obtained an extension of retirement visa under the old rule of 800,000 in bank for one month, and the persons next visa is coming up for renewal prior to 1 Jan 2007, that person may not be able to get a visa extension unless he had the 800,000 in the bank on 1 Aug, 1 Sep, or 1 Oct 2006. It will make no difference that the effective date is 1 Oct 2006.

My visa expired on 4 Nov and was not renewed under the 'Old' rule because I did not have the 800,000 baht in the bank on 1 Aug 2006. It was my responsibility to know that the rules would be changed on 1 Oct 2006. All my documentation had to be sent to Bangkok for a determination of visa extension.

My point - 'be prepared'. What documentation you used last year may not be vailid this year or any other future year. If you 'think' they may want 'income staements', get them. If you 'think' they may want a letter from embassy, get it. Do not rely on everything you read on this forum.

'Every Immigration Office operates under 'their' own rules.' If everyone would look at the Royal Thai Police website, you will see the list of required documentation. Get that list together and you 'should' be OK. BUT, remember, get documentation from 'old' rule as well as 'new' rules. Do this for every year you plan to remain in Thailand and you 'should' have no problems. I have learned a very important lesson - DO NOT rely on what you read from this forum.

Of course you are right BUT it is very interesting to hear of REAL experiences to get a feel of what you might be expected to produce as evidence.

This forum has invaluable information and if it was not forit many would have had much harder time to get their visas.

My immigration office is a 3 hours drive out and back and I prefer not to have to do that drive too many times for the sake of a few papers.

I love the way the Thai's assume all foreigners have pensions.

After all only government officials in LOS get pensions.

Some of us have to live on investment income, which is not so easy to document. :o

Actually, any one who seriously wants to see you're income will simply ask for a tax return for the previous year. Which all of us should have.

Bank of Thailand regulations are the 15% tax on earned interest income is withheld automatic. You however with a Tax ID can go to the branch that you have an account with, show your tax ID card and get the 15% withholding tax refunded to you immediately.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com