Buying a new Single Cab 4x4. Please help me to decide which one

gimatli

Thanks but the Ranger Flatbet is not what I need , and the 4x4 version is more expensive (750.000b)

The Isuzu is the one I like more but is much older than the others , this maybe is good because it's a very tested engine.

I like the Toyota too but I have read some bad reviews. I tested it in a rainy day and I have found it difficult to control.

About the Triton I have no opinion.

There is also the Ford Ranger standard cab flatbed 3.2L 4x4. Power train of this model is identical to the doubly priced Everest. If you don't care about looks it is by far the best 4x4 pickup choice on the market.

they are no longer available.

Isuzu have a 1.9Ltr engine option ...no idea how good it is. I did have a V-Cross ...much liked

Yes I will be happy more with the 1.9 litre and new trasmission 6 speed, but the 4x4 is available only with the old 3.0 litre 5speed

If for work or off road I would check the Izuzu turning radius and also it does not have the extra half meter of plastic up front to look modern.

May be an advantage in tight spot.

The bumper closer to the wheels.

I can not verify the truth of what I say now. But my insurance company has told me that most models that are involved in an accident and fixed are fixed with inferior substandard copied parts because it is cheaper for the repair shop than paying for imported parts.

They made this comment because I bought a Chevy and they have a factory here in Thailand and any parts replaced are new from there. I like my Chevy 4 door 4x4 with the midsized engine. No problem with anything and once a rat ate the wiring underneath and Chevy fixed it free.

Good luck on your hunt. It is really your choice but my opinion shoulder be taken seriously and checked into for other models. Accidents happen even they are not your fault and I would not want to have my truck fixed with substandard parts. I am certain the insurance company did not lie to me.

I can not verify the truth of what I say now. But my insurance company has told me that most models that are involved in an accident and fixed are fixed with inferior substandard copied parts because it is cheaper for the repair shop than paying for imported parts.

[/quote}

luckily none of the pickups sold in Thailand are imported then !!

They made this comment because I bought a Chevy and they have a factory here in Thailand and any parts replaced are new from there. I like my Chevy 4 door 4x4 with the midsized engine. No problem with anything and once a rat ate the wiring underneath and Chevy fixed it free.

Good luck on your hunt. It is really your choice but my opinion shoulder be taken seriously and checked into for other models. Accidents happen even they are not your fault and I would not want to have my truck fixed with substandard parts. I am certain the insurance company did not lie to me.

Your insurance company did not lie to you - imported parts are more expensive. What they failed to tell you is that all the pick-ups mentioned are made (assembled) here in Thailand, not just the Ford.

All insurance companies try to minimise the cost of repairs, cheap insurance here in Thailand goes hand in hand with cheap repairs using s/hand or substandard parts - caveat emptor!

I have a Chevrolet and a Toyota pick-up, in my experience the Chevrolet is a piece of c**p and will not last like the Toyota, leading to reduced re-sale value and increased maintenance costs in the long term.

I have a D Max Isuzu and it is just great. The customer service is tops including perfect smash repairs that have been needed twice. What put me off Toyota was the rubber timing chain that needs replacing every 100,000 K's. Quite an expensive operation. Mine is now 4 years old and still in perfect order with some rough country driving in it's history. On hills it powers up even with a heavy load. It is a 4cyl diesel but has great acceleration and pulling power. Toyota may have changed the timing belt thing since I bought ours. I am told the rubber chain makes a quieter engine but for a truck noise was not a big deal. I also like the stability control that was included in the Isuzu. Just one opinion.

Thanks but the Ranger Flatbet is not what I need , and the 4x4 version is more expensive (750.000b)

The Isuzu is the one I like more but is much older than the others , this maybe is good because it's a very tested engine.

I like the Toyota too but I have read some bad reviews. I tested it in a rainy day and I have found it difficult to control.

We have had an Isuzu for a few years now and are extremely pleased with it. We can highly recommend it. Further, I believe the resale value of the Isuzu is higher than the other pickups.

There is also the Ford Ranger standard cab flatbed 3.2L 4x4. Power train of this model is identical to the doubly priced Everest. If you don't care about looks it is by far the best 4x4 pickup choice on the market.

Yep well said! And not to mention, its really cheap since its Made in Thailand ;-p

Owned a Mitsubishi Triton 6 years ago, converted it to dual fuel LPG/ petrol and it never missed a beat. Not the greatest in terms of comfort or handling, but what single cab is? Could go all day without any problems.

Any unloaded single cab pickup on a wet road will have fairly dicey handling.

Edited by bazza40

Owned a Mitsubishi Triton 6 years ago, converted it to dual fuel LPG/ petrol and it never missed a beat. Not the greatest in terms of comfort or handling, but what single cab is? Could go all day without any problems.

Spot on about the handling, I have had single cab utes in Australia for work and they are very slippy in the wet, they need a load in the back to hold the road better.

Spot on about the handling, I have had single cab utes in Australia for work and they are very slippy in the wet, they need a load in the back to hold the road better.

That's a problem, because usually I transport no more than 80 kg,

part-time 4wd can be used on rainy roads?

4WD_turn.jpeg

That's a problem, because usually I transport no more than 80 kg,

part-time 4wd can be used on rainy roads?

4WD_turn.jpeg

Part time 4WD should only be used on surfaces that allow some slip. Wet bitumen is rarely consistently slippery.

Mitsubishi Super-Select 4WD system is used in some Tritons, not sure if it includes the base models. Super Select allows constant 4WD that can be used on bitumen, wet or dry.

4WD and stability control help a bit. Any lightly loaded single cab pickup still needs to be driven carefully in the wet.

Edited by Jitar

I bought the Isuzu as you posted above and sold it with only 6,000 km on the clock. We lost about 150K.sad.png

The issue was the brakes and drivetrain. Of course, no ABS but also the brakes are too small. Even on a dry surface, the brakes can lock up in an emergency. Like when a young child runs into traffic like happened to us on Phet Kasem freeway in Phetchaburi. We nearly lost control of the truck.

On the wet surface and/or with a heavy load it's much much worse.

Also noticed in the rain the back tire would loose traction when shifting from second to third gear causing it to fishtail (4x4 not engaged) which is incredible as the truck has the lowerest HP by far of your three choices. But of course, we had no significant load in the back other than some groceries.

Also, there were other little things compared to the other brands you listed.

-No power windows

-Lowest HP

-wheel wells are held in by rivets and silicon glue.

Good points are

-Fuel efficiency

-lower price

-reliability

-large dealership presence

Personally, I like the Toyota as it comes with the ABS and is nicely appointed for a work truck. I'm not sure if the Mitsu comes with ABS but it does have the most HP of the lot. Hope this helps.thumbsup.gif

Edited by fullcave

...On the wet surface and/or with a heavy load it's much much worse.

Also noticed in the rain the back tire would loose traction when shifting from second to third gear causing it to fishtail (4x4 not engaged) which is incredible as the truck has the lowerest HP by far of your three choices. But of course, we had no significant load in the back other than some groceries...

Now the Isuzu has the ABS as the Mitsubishi and Toyota.

The Toyota Revo has more push power. When I tested it in a rainy day I was scared. I fishtailed even starting at the traffic light, of course is because I no have experience with trucks but too power for the grip.

Top models have a lot of electronics for help to keep on the road those trucks, but only top models as the Wildtrack.

Nissan is the more big-hearted giving vdc,tcs,hsa,hdc,abls, even in the King cab 4wd.

...On the wet surface and/or with a heavy load it's much much worse.

Also noticed in the rain the back tire would loose traction when shifting from second to third gear causing it to fishtail (4x4 not engaged) which is incredible as the truck has the lowerest HP by far of your three choices. But of course, we had no significant load in the back other than some groceries...

Now the Isuzu has the ABS as the Mitsubishi and Toyota.

The Toyota Revo has more push power. When I tested it in a rainy day I was scared. I fishtailed even starting at the traffic light, of course is because I no have experience with trucks but too power for the grip.

Top models have a lot of electronics for help to keep on the road those trucks, but only top models as the Wildtrack.

Nissan is the more big-hearted giving vdc,tcs,hsa,hdc,abls, even in the King cab 4wd.

No, you are mistaken. The Isuzu single cab 4x4 does NOT have ABS.

With regards to the 4x4 single cab Isuzu (only available in spark model), it is NOT a "top model" truck and is not available with any electronics, for that you'll need to move up to the space cab or four-door models.

Any manufacture's two door model is a "work truck" manual transmission tough suspension. Stripped of all comforts you find in top end 4-doors. Pick what you want and purchase it for what it will be, an uncomfortable work vehicle. ALL two door trucks will be squirrelly when driving without load and especially in rain.

...Top models have a lot of electronics for help to keep on the road those trucks, but only top models as the Wildtrack...

No, you are mistaken. The Isuzu single cab 4x4 does NOT have ABS.

With regards to the 4x4 single cab Isuzu (only available in spark model), it is NOT a "top model" truck and is not available with any electronics, for that you'll need to move up to the space cab or four-door models.

yes I was wrong, the Spark hasn't even the ABS! and probably hasn't Limited Slip Diff or Diff Lock. It's really basic. About defining the Spark a "top model" is probably just a problem of my bad english grammar, the Spark is the lowest grade model.

I am changing opinion about those super basic truck, because of safety. They are made to travel with full load, without it are dangerous.

I really don't want a four door. so the next step is a Space/King cab

Nissan NP300 King Cab 4wd is the only one with all the electronic tricks VDC, TCS, HSA, HDC, ABLS among the 2 doors

Ranger Open cab and Revo Smart cab have only ABS and Airbag, so they are more balanced than a single cab but probably not so much more stable.

Mitsubishi,Chevrolet and Mazda: there is not a 4wd 2 doors model.

white.jpg.ximg.m_12_h.smart.jpg

Any manufacture's two door model is a "work truck" manual transmission tough suspension. Stripped of all comforts you find in top end 4-doors. Pick what you want and purchase it for what it will be, an uncomfortable work vehicle. ALL two door trucks will be squirrelly when driving without load and especially in rain.

Actually, the Revo single cab includes electric windows and ABS. I not sure about the new Mitsu. But yes still basic work truck compared to the top models. The braking issue was the reason I sold it the 4x4 Spark. The tire spin and fishtailing between second and third gears on a wet surface was just the icing on the cake. wink.png

However, I had no issues with our old single cab Mitsu 2 wheel drive with regards to being "squirrelly" in the rain and it had more power. To be fair, I have not driven the new two-door Revo. But OK I pretty much agree with your point that they handle better with a load.

But adding a ton or so weight won't help the braking issue especially in the rain. The scary part is that these the same trucks that you see overloaded, stacked three meters high and with 16 leaf springs on each side in the passing lane running to and from BKK with stock brakes! It's insane...shock1.gif

Edited by fullcave

I am also in the market for a Toyota or Isuzu 2 X 4 pickup. Was at both dealers today and was leaning towards the Isuzu, and they offered some pretty good incentives pretty much what others here have talked about. Then I walked next door to Toyota, and I saw some good stuff there. But where or what did you read about their vehicles about reliability?

I am open to others feedback on their experiences. I was looking at the Toyota Hilux Revo TRD Sportivo Smart Cab. Pretty cool in orange etc. Oddly the thing that impressed me most (without driving it) was how solid the build felt.....one item was the tailgate which was extremely heavy, which could be handy if I get rear ended. I walked back to Isuzu and checked the D Max's tailgate and nowhere near as much metal in its construction. I am especially interested in any of your experiences in the rain in a pickup truck. I will have ABS because it is worth the price of admission.