Thai workers abroad bringing home 59 billion baht in earnings:Labor ministry

webfact

Thai workers abroad bringing home 59 billion baht in earnings:Labor ministry

BANGKOK, 21 July 2016 (NNT) - Thai workers abroad have brought nearly 59 billion baht in combined earnings to the home country during the first half of this year.

Labor Ministry Inspector General Theeraphol Khunmuang revealed that a total of 58.934 billion baht was transferred home through the Bank of Thailand, not including other transactions through other banks, during this year's first six months.

From January to June 2016, a total of 58,758 Thai workers traveled abroad, 32,538 of whom being newly employed abroad, with the remainder returning to work under original contracts.

Taiwan had the largest number of Thai workers overseas totaling 12,338, followed by 3,499 workers to Japan, 2,891 to Israel and 2,841 to South Korea.

Those who are bound to work abroad can contact all provincial employment offices and the Bangkok Employment Office 1-10, or call Hotline 1694.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-21 footer_n.gif

Its what they dont bring back that should be more concern to the government. How a real democracy works, how civilised countries treat the people, how laws are enforced and the knowledge that the military has no role in running a country.

So on average each Thai sends home $77,949 a year. Really? I somehow think the figure is somewhat inflated. think about it, there is according to the report 21,569 Thai's over seas. I seriously doubt if the Thai's who are working overseas get the kind of money that would account for the above figures. My calculations are based on the numbers provided in the OP

I'm afraid I don't understand your comment, or Thian's. Do you both expect all their earnings to be sent back? Surely they need some, for themselves, to live on. The rest of your comment is irrelevant to the OP.

So on average each Thai sends home $77,949 a year. Really? I somehow think the figure is somewhat inflated. think about it, there is according to the report 21,569 Thai's over seas. I seriously doubt if the Thai's who are working overseas get the kind of money that would account for the above figures. My calculations are based on the numbers provided in the OP

I suppose it depends if there line of work offers extra special services. Edited by dezy1801

59 billion baht from 58,758 Thai workers in six month – i.e. 59,000,000,000 / 59,000 = 1,000,000 baht from each in average. That's close to 30,000 US$, which means about 60,000 US$ or 50,000 euro a year – does that sound real..?

Majority of posters usual bullshIt and inane comments.

Depending on the country, the vast majority are either in

construction (Singapore and the Middle East)

farms (Israel, Korea)

Industry and factories (Korea, Taiwan).

Massage parlours and the usual gleeful intelligent comments on here, not even single figures, i doubt 3-4%.

Of course there is the USA and Western Europe with restaurants et al, but this is not included in the above contract work.

Obviously the whole point of Thais going abroad for several years is to save money for a better future for their families, so, yes, generally they'll keep the bare minimum for themselves to live on, and send as much as they can home, 80-90% is not uncommon.

BIL and wife have just started on a farm in S Korea. 2nd month's earning's they sent back 60k Thai baht. They are earning 80k as a couple pcm. Last year they earned a tad over 100k as a couple for the whole year here. And struggled. Slight difference.